Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
Who cares? Is the battery life sustaining the usage of the user? If so, stop obsessing over numbers. I remember when I worked at Apple and we had an AppleCare guy in once and we asked why these stats aren't available in iOS when we can see them ourselves through our internal apps and he said and I quote "Because the more info you give certain users, the more obsessed they become over something that means nothing."

Now we have that info in iOS and here we are.
Exactly! Just for fun I decided to look at my phone's battery percentage. It's at 73%. My opinion: Meh.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
stop worrying and just use your phone as you need it.

when i got my first phone in the 90s i wasn't worrying about battery health. nor my first laptop. nor my phone in 2009. not even my iphone 4S or my first macbook. i did worry about it for a while but i really don't care. i've got bigger things to worry about than a battery lol. i'll send myself to an early grave if i worry about every device i own with a battery.

batteries are the best they've ever been. there is nothing to worry about unless you go out of your way to abuse the battery. if it's defective you can replace it under warranty for free in most cases.

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
My 15 Pro has 195 cycles and 100% health. Mine's had the 80% charge limit enabled since I first bought it. I don't worry about wireless charging, the only time it charges via a cable is when in the car (not super frequent since I commute by train) or while syncing with my Mac or updating the phone. To me, this indicates my battery probably started out with a decent buffer above what they consider 100% (design capacity) and it's dropped since then but not low enough to be less than 100%.

Do I worry about any of this? Would I if it was at 95% by now? Not one bit, and neither should anyone else. My 13 mini dropped off much faster, thanks to it being a tiny battery that had to be recharged throughout the day if I was using my phone a lot, and it still worked just fine after 2 years and was at something like 88% health. You'd really have to abuse most iPhone batteries to get them below 80% after 2 years, and if you do then you're getting your money's worth when you pay Apple to replace the battery.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
Do I worry about any of this? Would I if it was at 95% by now? Not one bit, and neither should anyone else.
The only time a person should worry about the battery going down like that is if they either purchased the phone used (outside of Apple Care) or replaced the battery at a third party unauthorized repair place. I have a Series 3 Watch with a battery at 100% capacity (according to the internal control panel). When I have it on my wrist, I can see the percentage drop 1% every other minute. Clearly, the battery isn't at 100% capacity.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
There's no need to worry as there's nothing you can or should do until your Battery Health rating dips below the 80% rating AND you have not gone through 1000 charge cycles yet.

Preferably, this also needs to happen while you are still covered under warranty or AppleCare+.

There are great variations between how each battery wears down even if they all have the same exact number of mAhs and sit in the same smartphone, running the same software, getting charged the same way, exposed to the same temperatures, same charging behavior, etc., etc.

This is why Apple gives the 1000 charge cycles before 80% rating for iPhones 15 but doesn't get any more specific than that, like going into how much wear you should expect between every singular charge cycle.

Also, thinking that a battery is not wearing down just because it sits at the same Battery Health rating for months on end is a misunderstanding. Your battery is always wearing down. Not even shutting it down and never using your iPhone will fully mitigate all wear and aging.

Forget your battery for now, and then check on it again in 6-12 months, or if you're actually struggling to get through a day using it.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Here we go again!

Image.jpeg

Markwebbvt

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2021
Toronto
My 13Mini was at 96% after 2 full years when I traded it in for the 15P and I also ran mostly beta software versions on it, as I continue to do. I did follow the 80% charging rule. I forget the cycle count. Yet, I still miss that phone (it was in pristine condition) and probably should have kept it. 🤷‍♂️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.