Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
It's safe to assume that the demographic that buys the stainless model don't care about the resale value because they probably have cash to burn. On the other hand, if you're the type that's trying to justify the cost and worried about resale down the line, you probably shouldn't get it.

An extra $200 for sapphire and stainless steel is all it comes down to. The unfortunate thing is the Ion-X glass on the aluminum model is easily scratched. Everyday I scrape it against the strap of my backpack when I put it on, there are visible scratches. All I really want is the damn sapphire screen, but they're hiding it behind a forced LTE/stainless steel package and charging an extra $200 cost you have to eat. For a watch I upgrade every 2-3 years, I'm not down with that.

EDIT: turns out it's an extra $320, not $200. I was thinking of the old pricing.

Last edited:

sk2sep2304

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
I prefer the aluminum because it’s noticeably lighter. FYI Apple Watch is my only watch and I wear it everyday.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The unfortunate thing is the Ion-X glass on the aluminum model is easily scratched. Everyday I scrape it against the strap of my backpack when I put it on, there are visible scratches. All I really want is the damn sapphire screen, but they're hiding it behind a forced LTE/stainless steel package and charging an extra $200 cost you have to eat. For a watch I upgrade every 2-3 years, I'm not down with that.

Few points here:

1.) You’re that concerned that your Apple Watch is scratching, then why don’t you use a screen protector? You do know that it scratches, so why not put a screen protector on it to avoid future scratches? Not also does the screen protector protect against minor scratches and scuff‘s, but it also helps conceal them.

2.) Nothing is ‘forced’ from Apple from the point you made in your post, LTE is actually optional, yes, you do have to pay the additional money for the Sapphire display, but that’s the decision you made to opt for the aluminum model for XYZ reasons. Either way, if you’re that disgruntled that the watch scratches, then maybe that you were stronger candidate for the stainless model, even if that means it would make you happier that you would have the added protection, and the Apple Watch pays for itself over the course of time, regardless of what the resale value is.

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
Few points here:

1.) You’re that concerned that your Apple Watch is scratching, then why don’t you use a screen protector? You do know that it scratches, so why not put a screen protector on it to avoid future scratches? Not also does the screen protector protect against minor scratches and scuff‘s, but it also helps conceal them.

2.) Nothing is ‘forced’ from Apple from the point you made in your post, LTE is actually optional, yes, you do have to pay the additional money for the Sapphire display, but that’s the decision you made to opt for the aluminum model for XYZ reasons. Either way, if you’re that disgruntled that the watch scratches, then maybe that you were stronger candidate for the stainless model, even if that means it would make you happier that you would have the added protection, and the Apple Watch pays for itself over the course of time, regardless of what the resale value is.

1. I don't like how they feel or look. My iPhone doesn't have a screen protector and has no (visible) scratches that you can feel. I was assuming the watch would be the same. It's too late now since there's already scratches, but I suppose my next one will have a screen protector since I'll never be willing to pay for the SS.

2. LTE is absolutely forced. When the watch launched, it was $200 to upgrade to SS w/o LTE which is already pretty expensive. I just checked and it's even more expensive! $320 now because they no longer offer SS w/o LTE. If all you want is sapphire, that's an even worse proposition than before. If it was still a $200 upgrade, then yes, LTE would be optional.

BSG75

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2015
Tennessee
I'm on the fence about upgrading from my AW 3 SBSS to an AW 4. My AW is part of a rotation with my mechanical watches, so if I upgrade, I'll probably go with the AW 4 Space Grey aluminum, GPS.

Personally, I think the SBSS is stunning, but it depreciates much more quickly than the aluminum. It's not really a big deal if you're keeping it for a few years, but if you upgrade often, the depreciation hit isn't worth it IMO. However, you should get what you like and can afford.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm on the fence about upgrading from my AW 3 SBSS to an AW 4. My AW is part of a rotation with my mechanical watches, so if I upgrade, I'll probably go with the AW 4 Space Grey aluminum, GPS.

Personally, I think the SBSS is stunning, but it depreciates much more quickly than the aluminum. It's not really a big deal if you're keeping it for a few years, but if you upgrade often, the depreciation hit isn't worth it IMO. However, you should get what you like and can afford.

I can only appreciate the stainless, I don’t care for the aluminum model. I realize the resale affect on the stainless is not even remotely compared to the aluminum, but I can accept that, being that I would rather enjoy the aesthetics and materials on the watch versus worry about the resale value. And for me, the added bonus is the diamond like carbon coating and sapphire display.

ckip10

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2013
Lincoln, Alabama
I have had stainless since Series 0, never had any cosmetic issues. However, as others have said, the resale is horrible but in my opinion the hit is worth it. I broke down and got an aluminum S4 and it took all of 2 weeks to scratch the screen. As always personal preference, but I’m stainless all the way.

BSG75

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2015
Tennessee
I can only appreciate the stainless, I don’t care for the aluminum model. I realize the resale affect on the stainless is not even remotely compared to the aluminum, but I can accept that, being that I would rather enjoy the aesthetics and materials on the watch versus worry about the resale value. And for me, the added bonus is the diamond like carbon coating and sapphire display.

Can’t argue with that. The stainless is beautiful!

j0nblayz

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
My opinion, with aw4 being the first 64bit architecture, I believe this watch will be supported much longer than the previous gens. I originally owned aw0 aluminum, however when I found out aw4 is 64bit, I splurged and bought the space black stainless steel. I’m hoping to get atleast 4 years out of this watch.

No regret at all, the shiny black is elegant and looks amazing. Stainless steel silver wasn’t too exciting for me, the black screen flows really well the the space black frame.

I haven’t really noticed the weight difference, however when holding in hand you can really feel the difference vs my previous aluminum. But in no way is it at all uncomfortable when wearing.

If you own aw0-2, it’s totally worth the upgrade, aluminum or stainless steel. Stainless steel vs sbss is really dependant on the owner, my wife loves the silver since it matches her colorful bands better. For me all my bands are black so I prefer sbss.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
There's no ultimate answer on something that is so subjective. Overall I prefer the aluminum due to the weight and value (resell on these are horrible so I prefer the cheaper version).

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017
Those who have owned both, Space Black stainless and Space Gray aluminum, from S0-S3, knowing what you know from experience and knowing the S4 costs $749 and $529 respectively, which do you buy and why? Why did you switch from one to another? Did you switch back/want to switch back? I am asking specifically about SBSS vs SGA, in part because I want to know about the real-world durability of the SB DLC.

Can you justify spending $750+ for a smart watch? Can you justify spending $530+ for an aluminum smart watch when you can get a stainless watch for a few hundred more? Will the extra $200 get you an extra year or two of use out of it? Does the extra $200 get cut to $120 because you don’t need to buy AppleCare for the stainless, or do you need AppleCare anyway? Thanks for your responses.

I like space gray.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
I can go either way, but obviously prefer the SS. I have owned a silver aluminum S0, SS S2, SG S3, and now a SBSS S4. The only reason I have the S4 is because the girlfriend got it for me for Christmas. I think if you're planning to keep it for a few years it would be wise to grab the SS and AppleCare+. I dont see myself getting a new watch until at least the Series 6 or more likely the Series 7.

If you are going to be upgrading every year then the aluminum probably makes more sense. It really is a personal preference thing though. They all do the same thing. It is nice having the added durability, but not completely necessary.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Last night I banged the screen of my SBSS right against my granite counter top by accident. A couple weeks ago I banged the corner so hard on the dryer door that it triggered the fall detection. Even so, there's not a single mark on this thing. In fact, once I wipe off all the skin oils and other gunk that accumulates over time, this thing still looks brand new after over 4 months of daily use. That's worth the price premium right there if you ask me.

Reactions: bbednarz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.