Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Hmm maybe I should buy One Drive storage only since I have MS Office downloaded on my computer already.

I think you're overthinking it really. Just pick a service and go with it. They all have ups and downs, but the differences aren't big enough to warrant this amount of consideration I'd say. I personally prefer iCloud Drive, but they all offer cloud storage and you'll achieve your goal with either. Going with the cheapest is probably also a good solution for you

If you pay for the Office subscription, you already have OneDrive storage.

His Office is not subscription Office. It's the retail copy - stated in a previous post. AFAIK that doesn't come with OneDrive.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

vine-boating

macrumors 68020
Aug 10, 2017
I think you're overthinking it really. Just pick a service and go with it. They all have ups and downs, but the differences aren't big enough to warrant this amount of consideration I'd say. I personally prefer iCloud Drive, but they all offer cloud storage and you'll achieve your goal with either. Going with the cheapest is probably also a good solution for you

His Office is not subscription Office. It's the retail copy - stated in a previous post. AFAIK that doesn't come with OneDrive.
Yes haha

I will stick with iCloud Drive for now

I heard One Drive uses a lot of power on Macs as compared to windows.

Ben Wiseman

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2020
The Files -On-Demand feature seems to have a massive impact (saving storage space by melting your thermals), not to mention that it's a pain in the ass to have something replace data and config files with shortcuts.

Otherwise there are alternatives like insync, but for a work computer you may just be stuck with OneDrive.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I have heard of Dropbox causing the same issue but haven’t had it happen, personally

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I don't know if this will help. (old thread, but I'll answer anyway)

I use onedrive, but just "the free version". I'm not a heavy user of the service.

I DO NOT use the onedrive software/app for the Mac. I tried it, didn't like it, and then removed it.

Instead, I just sign onto onedrive "through a web page", do the file transfers I need to do that way, and then "sign off".

By doing it this way, I don't have any onedrive resources being used on the Mac at all.

Works for me.

Doxxquinn

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2021
I've been fighting the OneDrive battery drain for a while, and I might have found a solution.

1. If you installed OneDrive with Office365, delete it.
2. Install OneDrive from the Apple App Store.
3. Do NOT turn on the Finder extension

Prior to taking these steps, my 2020 MacBook Air (8GB, 500GB) had a useful battery life of about 2 hours. Since making these changes, I'm up to about 6 hours and OneDrive has not shown up in the list of apps using significant energy. (The bad news is that the multiple daily cycles of the battery have reduced its maximum capacity to 96% in just two months.)

If I were not required to use OneDrive and Office365 for work, I would banish all Microsoft products from my laptop. Unfortunately, that just isn't an option for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.