Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcarvin

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
Southern NJ
Opera 8 is good stuff. Most definitely worth the download.

Things I like
  • Nicely integrated email and RSS
  • Skins
  • A decent rendering engine - although it's still not perfect, it's better than any previous version
  • Feels kinda peppy

Things I don't like
  • Their "Action" bar gets in my way
  • Mouse gestures aren't what I expect them to be
  • They insist on referring to tabs as "pages". Well, yeah, I kinda guess they are but Opera isn't exactly in a position to be a trendsetter.
  • While the Windows and Linux counterparts have had more than one beta version, the Mac version has been stuck at b1 for 3.5 months now.

/this wasn't posted using Opera 8.

mcarvin

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
Southern NJ
mcarvin said:
Opera 8 is good stuff. Most definitely worth the download.
[*]While the Windows and Linux counterparts have had more than one beta version, the Mac version has been stuck at b1 for 3.5 months now.
[/list]

NOW the snapshot site reflects b1, not a1905. That's nice. :D

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
So the previous "beta" releases on the Mac were just alphas? Interesting. How long has Opera 8 been in the making? I am surprised that they're already releasing it, but maybe it just feels short.

*downloads Opera 8.00b1*
-Chase

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I used to always use Opera on Windows, but I use Firefox now.
If only Firefox had Fast Forward and Rewind like Opera, then it would be great...

I might check out Opera8 if I find time.

mcarvin

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
Southern NJ
rendezvouscp said:
So the previous "beta" releases on the Mac were just alphas? Interesting. How long has Opera 8 been in the making? I am surprised that they're already releasing it, but maybe it just feels short.

*downloads Opera 8.00b1*
-Chase

The first alpha was posted on Jan. 7, 2005, so I'm not sure that this is a "short" job or anything. Opera for Mac snapshots

First significant bug - can't install skins anymore. However, I can log into VersionTracker now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.