Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Thats what I meant... magnification, I'll fix that above so there is no confusion. All lenses are fixed magnification, all lenses have their own sensor, all of the lenses can only "zoom" digitally.
The 48 MP sensor can be used in a close-up mode with 24 MP resolution. That's the only deviation that keeps things at a higher quality.

If you look at mirrorless camera sensors' support for 4K, some throw away a lot of pixels to capture 3840x2160. Some can't do 4096x2160 (Cinema 4K) at all.

Having toted around $10,000 worth of equipment to skate parks, I wouldn't even think of using a current phone for doing a major project, but it can be done. The best camera for the job is often the one you have with you, no matter what the quality is.

thegr8wendt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2024
The 48 MP sensor can be used in a close-up mode with 24 MP resolution. That's the only deviation that keeps things at a higher quality.

If you look at mirrorless camera sensors' support for 4K, some throw away a lot of pixels to capture 3840x2160. Some can't do 4096x2160 (Cinema 4K) at all.

Having toted around $10,000 worth of equipment to skate parks, I wouldn't even think of using a current phone for doing a major project, but it can be done. The best camera for the job is often the one you have with you, no matter what the quality is.
I've tried a few different setups over the years. A GoPro with a media kit worked ok, it had great stabilization, but zero optical magnification. A Sony A6600 decked out with a mid length G-lens worked great, but was too bulky for what I do. Most recently I've been running an iPhone 14 Pro Max with small rig cage, Sennheiser MKE400, and Lumecube battery grip. It's not ideal with the limited fixed magnification lenses (3x telephoto on the 14 Pro Max) but it enabled me to share short video clips in real-time and also save the larger files for post editing. I'm excited to try my 15 Pro Max with 5x optical magnification, just waiting on the screen protector before I switch over.

IMG_1528.jpg

Reactions: bousozoku
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.