Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Denzo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
Australia
Uhhh, last night I completely turned off the phone (unplugged) before bed and took a screenshot of the battery % SOC before it shut off.
This morning I booted up the phone and the battery % was 3% HIGHER than what it was when it shut down the previous night.

This leads to only one conclusion:

THE BATTERY INDICATOR IS NOT ACCURATE
I have no idea behind the science but I definitely remember using toys and things with batteries when I was a kid.. and at some point the thing I was operating would die due to the batteries being exhausted. Next day, I would flick it on and get a few more mins out of it as if the battery got some charge from letting it rest.
I’m sure there is some science explaining what I’m talking about. ?

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
I made two changes and now my 13 Pro overnight drain has stopped. I’m not sure if either change resolved it, but what I did was installed iOS 15.1 RC and disabled implicit beamforming on my Netgear Orbi access points.

3FC2D7AF-2BF9-4E1D-8533-899E553E3931.jpeg

Reactions: Taz Mangus and Jsee

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Uhhh, last night I completely turned off the phone (unplugged) before bed and took a screenshot of the battery % SOC before it shut off.
This morning I booted up the phone and the battery % was 3% HIGHER than what it was when it shut down the previous night.

They're never perfectly accurate. There's always some ±% margin of error in the estimate.

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
Also the first 5% loss in not reported, you definitely are at least at 97% but the system decides by design to report 100% charge. In airplane mode I still lose 2-3% per night on my 13 Pro. Try not starting the night with a 100% charge, but, say, 60%, the reported % difference is less and it will go down

Reactions: Kyriakosss4

Jsee

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2021
Same issue with me, I have the regular iPhone 13 but I seem to be losing 10% overnight even with aeroplane mode on which seems quite off.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Got to remember that the newer phones’ SOC have a “neural engine” that works behind the scenes when phone is unattended and not being used doing whatever it does / like building the ridiculous For You album in the Photos App.
I think Apple goes by the assumption that an iPhone is plugged in overnight- so unattended battery drain isn’t an issue under that circumstance. I doubt they even consider that people leave their phones on all night while sleeping and not plugged in . There really isn’t a good reason to do that anyway

Jsee

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2021
Got to remember that the newer phones’ SOC have a “neural engine” that works behind the scenes when phone is unattended and not being used doing whatever it does / like building the ridiculous For You album in the Photos App.
I think Apple goes by the assumption that an iPhone is plugged in overnight- so unattended battery drain isn’t an issue under that circumstance. I doubt they even consider that people leave their phones on all night while sleeping and not plugged in . There really isn’t a good reason to do that anyway
That is a good point, I didn't think about that. I was surprised when I found a photos album for me.

Usually I don't plug it in for battery preservation, I'm not a heavy user so at the end of the day my battery ends up discharging to 40 - 50% which so happens to be the optimal storage percentage for lithium batteries. Hence I've always charged my phones in the morning and just left it unplugged during night. Keep the battery healthier for longer that way. Previous phone was 4 years old and still retained 86% although I also practised cycling so leaving it unplugged overnight was not the only factor.

I am aware apple as an optimised charging feature which temporarily limits to 80%, but 50 is still better than 80 and I've heard it's a hit or miss like some people report it never worked for them.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
They're never perfectly accurate. There's always some ±% margin of error in the estimate.
In my observation on the over reporting of the battery percentage by iOS, when the phone is charged and taken off the charger, the battery percentage is over reported by about 5%. As you use the battery more the over reporting starts getting close to actual and will be <1% towards the end off the battery life. This is using Coconut Battery app as a reference.

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Find my drained 6% of my battery last night in less than 5 hours. That doesn’t seem right to me. Find my also seems to ping every minute of the day. Really annoying me so I just turned location services completely off for now. Am running 15.1RC but was the same on 15.02.

SaguaroSeven

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2020
Washington DC
Find my drained 6% of my battery last night in less than 5 hours. That doesn’t seem right to me. Find my also seems to ping every minute of the day. Really annoying me so I just turned location services completely off for now. Am running 15.1RC but was the same on 15.02.
Do you have any AirTags or AirPods you're tracking? This issue has been going on since early summer...

Reactions: coso

SaguaroSeven

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2020
Washington DC

So much to unpack here. First thing: it depends what you mean by "accurate." % shown is using some algorithm as others suggest; doesnt' always display every fluctuation in the % number. I suppose the logic is to minimize obsessing about battery?

Second: your device cannot really measure it's own battery, because any tech in your iPhone measuring battery level would be powered by the same battery; this basically doesn't work. iPhone estimates battery by monitoring the use of onboard hardware (radios, display & brightness, camera, speakers, processor cycles). Seems more technology witchcraft than science. Still the indicated % ends up being pretty good (usually. unless say your battery swells up and fails after 9 months, like my iPhone 11 Pro).

Last: if you want to see how the battery % tells you something other than "truth"... enable optimized charging (you should anyway), and make sure it's doing it's magic. Charge to "100%" before you go to bed. In the morning your battery page in Settings will show that the battery was NOT charged to 100% (because it expected to finish that around 4am, but wasn't plugged in).

TheBeardedFrog

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2021
1636014347395.png

The overnight drain seems very weird to me. Two nights ago I charged before I went to sleep up to 100%. 8 hours later I woke up, still 100%. It then quite quickly went to 90% without doing much on my phone. Like 20 minutes SOT in two hours.

Last night I decided to leave my phone unplugged for the night, thinking I would charge it in the morning. It was at about 20% when I went to sleep at like 2 AM. When I woke up, the phone was dead. Looking at the above chart, it died at like 5 AM, and drained about 20% battery without any activity in the battery app. Super weird.

Pat96

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2021
My 13 Pro dropped from 94% to 89% overnight with only Kindle app open. Hope this is a software issue.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
My 13 Pro dropped from 94% to 89% overnight with only Kindle app open. Hope this is a software issue.
So what. If the phone is on it’s using power. And if the phone is off it’s still using power. Just not as much.

Reactions: Pat96

vanillaspice

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2012
You may want to check to see if you have Background App Refresh turned off. That will eat up tons of battery, especially if you have stuff open.

Reactions: Pat96

thetechguy98

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2021
The Netherlands
The same is happening for me overnight. Almost every time the battery is dropping around 5%, which is really weird. My old iPhone XS has 1-2% dropping in the worst case.

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
I disabled Find My when phone is offline and lost nothing this night (of course I had my phone offline)

Reactions: thetechguy98

SaguaroSeven

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2020
Washington DC
I wonder whether anyone has any thoughts for me about this odd experience 2 nights ago. Basically one night I lost 12% the next night I lost 0%.

It's posted over here:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If it’s that much of an annoyance just leave it plugged in overnight. That’s what untold millions of people do.

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
Put the phone in airplane mode at night. I have an older iPhone 8 and wake up with 100% if its charged up before bed and airplane mode switched on (also lose maybe 4% if not). Its usually a rogue app causing the issue with battery drain.

I also follow a golden rule. Use the iPhone as intended, but if you are near a charger when using it, plug it in. The biggest stressor on a battery is going from 20% more or less to 100% every day. I have been following this rule for years, and have an iPhone SE (2016), my current iPhone 8 all at 100% still battery health. I have a 13 pro on its way and will be following the same idea. I typically plug in anywhere around 70% - 90%. I'm also, for the record, not looking at my phone 24/7, I might log 2.5 to 3.5 hrs on screen time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.