Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xboxbml

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2015
Last year I was getting tired of always having to clear up space on my 11" 2012 MacBook Air's 256GB SSD. So in May of last year I spent $530 on a 1TB SSD from Other World Computing. That September the SSD failed and I was sent a replacement. A year later it failed again and I was sent a second replacement. Now that replacement has failed after a little more than a month.

Has anyone else has such a bad experience with OWC? It's hard to believe I would get 3 bad drives in 18 months, but I've always been careful with my laptop. Are they selling drives that aren't fully compatible with the Air? At this point I really want nothing more to do with their SSDs, but I seriously doubt they'll give me a refund. I might see if my credit card's purchase protection can help.
This is why I stayed away from OWC drives.. I did a bit of research and self debating when contemplating getting a bigger drive for this machine. Yeah, it looked good because it was a direct fit, but I started seeing people with issues a while after I started researching.. I opted for the 2TB ADATA. No issues.. See sig. I do have an OWC TB2 dock for this I bought used. No issues.. Their drives?.. Issues.. Not sure ADATA would work in your machine though..

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I'm surprised to be reading all these complaints (yes, I know this thread is 5 years old). I've always heard only good things about OWC and I replaced my 2012 iMac's HDD with a 1TB OWC SSD many years ago and it's still performing flawlessly. But that was a 2.5" SATA SSD (the kind that's within an enclosure and not a bare chip). Maybe it's just the other types of SSDs that they have issues with.
OWC mostly sells no-name stuff, branded with their name. I still don't know why people think they are a good brand. It's just a generic store brand after all.

I guess the advantage is that this store will actually replace their defective stuff, so there's that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.