Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
FWIW, I opened it on my Studio 64/2, and it's quite fluid.

btw, that's some really nice work . . . your dedication to detail seasons my appreciation with a large dash of envy ;)

Reactions: polyphenol

polyphenol

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
FWIW, I opened it on my Studio 64/2, and it's quite fluid.

btw, that's some really nice work . . . your dedication to detail seasons my appreciation with a large dash of envy ;)
Thank you!

I've had the basic information in Word documents for a few years now. Gathering it all together took a LOT of effort. :)

But switching to Pages has been interesting with much to appreciate. And not so hard as the original creation. But changing from A4 to A5 meant a lot of rethinklng. However, it is much more viewable on smaller devices.

Some of this is the information many need. And you simply cannot expect people who are ill, possible suffering what we call "brain fog", along with multiple physical symptoms, to work their way round the internet finding it. Still less as many are towards the computer illiterate end of the scale.

Reactions: splifingate

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Thank you!

I've had the basic information in Word documents for a few years now. Gathering it all together took a LOT of effort. :)

Aye; no surprise there, really!

I still use Word, on occasion; but those days are numbered. I just don't really need it anymore.

But switching to Pages has been interesting with much to appreciate. And not so hard as the original creation. But changing from A4 to A5 meant a lot of rethinklng. However, it is much more viewable on smaller devices.

Curious: A5 is half of A4 . . . how was it a difficult time-intensive process?

Some of this is the information many need. And you simply cannot expect people who are ill, possible suffering what we call "brain fog", along with multiple physical symptoms, to work their way round the internet finding it. Still less as many are towards the computer illiterate end of the scale.

Thyroid can be derived from basidiomycetes?!? I never woulda thunk it 🤷‍♂️

• Love

polyphenol

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Aye; no surprise there, really!

I still use Word, on occasion; but those days are numbered. I just don't really need it anymore.

Curious: A5 is half of A4 . . . how was it a difficult time-intensive process?

Thyroid can be derived from basidiomycetes?!? I never woulda thunk it 🤷‍♂️

Two reasons I find it difficult to get away from Word: Familiarity and a significant number of documents complex enough to make conversion to anything else less than satisfactory.

Yes, A5 is half A4, but I had to rethink the layout completely. Also - as I was doing it, I tried to make products align with pages, make headers more obvious/visible when scrolling or using Table of Contents on a small screen, etc. And revised overall organisation (i.e. number of documents and contents of each one).

I look at thyroid as being ultimately derived from the need for extremely primitive organisms to avoid poisoning by iodine. That need has been there since the first microorganisms came into being. Some form of iodine binding was an answer. And that bound iodine then very slowly developed into something that could be exploited. Whether as a way of moving iodine around cells, and later multicellular organisms, without damaging themselves, using iodine to kill invasive organisms, or acting as a messenger, or supporting some chemical reactions and synthesis.

Thus pre-thyroid iodine pathways have existed pretty much throughout life - across all kingdoms. Some of them result in compounds that are similar to actual mammalian thyroid hormones, or are precursors of them. And the genetic makeup that handles iodine and thyroid is incredibly well conserved.

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Two reasons I find it difficult to get away from Word: Familiarity and a significant number of documents complex enough to make conversion to anything else less than satisfactory.

Yes, A5 is half A4, but I had to rethink the layout completely. Also - as I was doing it, I tried to make products align with pages, make headers more obvious/visible when scrolling or using Table of Contents on a small screen, etc. And revised overall organisation (i.e. number of documents and contents of each one).

I infer from this that you are exporting to (responsive-HTML-intended) mobile devices?

Have you achieved more satisfactory performance and operation, since your initial post?

I look at thyroid as being ultimately derived from the need for extremely primitive organisms to avoid poisoning by iodine. That need has been there since the first microorganisms came into being. Some form of iodine binding was an answer. And that bound iodine then very slowly developed into something that could be exploited. Whether as a way of moving iodine around cells, and later multicellular organisms, without damaging themselves, using iodine to kill invasive organisms, or acting as a messenger, or supporting some chemical reactions and synthesis.

This!

Thank you for sharing :)

Thus pre-thyroid iodine pathways have existed pretty much throughout life - across all kingdoms. Some of them result in compounds that are similar to actual mammalian thyroid hormones, or are precursors of them. And the genetic makeup that handles iodine and thyroid is incredibly well conserved.

[OT]

I read someone's blog--somewhere in the past few years--where they (they, who say things) asserted that their health greatly benefited from switching from the supposedly-pure salts of the Himalayas back to regular-ole iodide-infused salts.

I, myself, am not a regular user of salts in any of my cooking. I do, however, employ any form of basidio is said cooking.

oops!@ . . . I just now realised that helvella crispa is an ascomycete 🧐

Well, you've certainly got me obsessing on the "Learning More" path, polyphenol!

polyphenol

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
I infer from this that you are exporting to (responsive-HTML-intended) mobile devices?

Have you achieved more satisfactory performance and operation, since your initial post?

This!

Thank you for sharing :)

[OT]

I read someone's blog--somewhere in the past few years--where they (they, who say things) asserted that their health greatly benefited from switching from the supposedly-pure salts of the Himalayas back to regular-ole iodide-infused salts.

I, myself, am not a regular user of salts in any of my cooking. I do, however, employ any form of basidio is said cooking.

oops!@ . . . I just now realised that helvella crispa is an ascomycete 🧐

Well, you've certainly got me obsessing on the "Learning More" path, polyphenol!
I simply provide a link to a PDF! Then they do as they wish. I know a large proportion use smart phones (I think around 80% of activity on a thyroid forum is from such devices) but no idea how many also have tablets, laptops, desktops.

I have considered other options like EPUB but am not convinced it is worth it. My first attempts testing EPUB resulted in a total mess. Somewhat better now I am using Pages rather than some third-party conversion from Word/PDF.

Pages is still falling over. Three times yesterday. And I am as sure as I can be that it is related to mouse wheel scrolling. (That doesn't, of course, preclude other scrolling also causing it.)

Sent lots of info to Apple. And obsessively save now!

Salt in UK is almost never iodised! But imported factory-produced foods from Germany and Poland often used iodised salt. The big problem is that iodine itself is a complex topic. There seems to be a difference in tolerance depending on whether the individual has always had a reasonable amount or grew up with low to deficient iodine.

High iodine intake is associated with increased levels of thyroid autoimmune disease. And low iodine intake is associated with poor levels of thyroid hormone, sometimes goitre, etc.

But despite research, there still seems little good science on which to base changes to iodine intake except towards the extremes.

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Pages is still falling over. Three times yesterday. And I am as sure as I can be that it is related to mouse wheel scrolling. (That doesn't, of course, preclude other scrolling also causing it.)

Sent lots of info to Apple. And obsessively save now!

I exclusively use a touch-/track-pad (of the Official Apple Variety), and your document in Pages is entirely functional.

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
But despite research, there still seems little good science on which to base changes to iodine intake except towards the extremes.

Yeah; we are amidst the blue-birds, in such territory!

My first experience post-Monterey is with Sonoma on the Mac Studio M2-Max.

This was the default installation.

I have noticed (here @MR (and elsewhere)) more complaints/problems with transitional installations (e.g., 'Monterey -> Ventura -> Sonoma'; or, 'Ventura -> Sonoma').

Is it within your capacity/perview to initialise a new install of Sonoma?

I used to 'upgrade' my systems back in the day, but--as I have come to find--having all "My Precious" stuff in iCloud relegates Migration to as moot a point as a moot point can be ;)

There are only so many hours in a day; and--of course--these things, suggestively, are supposed to "just work"....

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Any modifications to your Mac or MacOS? OCLP specifically? I've got a Late-2012 27" iMac w/ 3.4GHz Quad-Core i7 running OCLP Ventura that crashes whenever I try to insert a picture into Pages (or any iWork app). Otherwise it's a very stable system.

polyphenol

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Any modifications to your Mac or MacOS? OCLP specifically? I've got a Late-2012 27" iMac w/ 3.4GHz Quad-Core i7 running OCLP Ventura that crashes whenever I try to insert a picture into Pages (or any iWork app). Otherwise it's a very stable system.
I'm not aware of having done anything "odd" or special. I think both arrived as Monterey and updated in the usual fashion to Ventura and Sonoma. Nothing else looks at all questionable or odd.

But it is definitely a question that needed to be asked.

polyphenol

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Yeah; we are amidst the blue-birds, in such territory!

My first experience post-Monterey is with Sonoma on the Mac Studio M2-Max.

This was the default installation.

I have noticed (here @MR (and elsewhere)) more complaints/problems with transitional installations (e.g., 'Monterey -> Ventura -> Sonoma'; or, 'Ventura -> Sonoma').

Is it within your capacity/perview to initialise a new install of Sonoma?

I used to 'upgrade' my systems back in the day, but--as I have come to find--having all "My Precious" stuff in iCloud relegates Migration to as moot a point as a moot point can be ;)

There are only so many hours in a day; and--of course--these things, suggestively, are supposed to "just work"....
From where I am, with iWorks team investigating, I'll see what they come up with.

I'm a relatively new convert to macOS so not keen on doing things like new installs. I just don't feel confident and am all too aware how easy it is to miss things when trying to do so.

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
From where I am, with iWorks team investigating, I'll see what they come up with.

I bet it will be something good!

I'm a relatively new convert to macOS so not keen on doing things like new installs. I just don't feel confident and am all too aware how easy it is to miss things when trying to do so.

Oh, that's entirely understandable (even the case for those who have done-so many a time).

I realise that these are (in a lot of ways) "Support" forums, but I do see a lot of folks having unintended difficulties and problems.

Received one of the first 2006 Mac Pro's shipped, progressed to a 2012 Mac Pro, added a 2015 MBP, and just started using an M2 Mac Studio.

All these systems initially (and for looong periods of time) performed perfectly *knock on wooden table*

I hope your experience going further is better :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.