Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Do u really think that Paralells is such a big company that Apple will inform them about innovations? ??‍♂️
It's not that Parallels is such a big company, but Apple definitely contacted them before the move to M1, if only for the presentation of the new M1 Mac's -- they showed Parallels running Windows on Arm in it, and Parallels had to have been working on it for some time to get that far.

OneZweiThree

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Bavaria
Is there a AAA gaming company/publisher, that you think we could have a chance with regarding native Apple silicon support? Maybe we should show those companies, that there is demand for it. Opening support tickets or maybe even something like a petition. I feel like the "gaming on Mac-situation" is a bit of a chicken/egg-type situation, so someone needs to make the first step.
Speaking for myself I would probably even help funding a couple games via kickstarter.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Is there a AAA gaming company/publisher, that you think we could have a chance with regarding native Apple silicon support? Maybe we should show those companies, that there is demand for it. Opening support tickets or maybe even something like a petition. I feel like the "gaming on Mac-situation" is a bit of a chicken/egg-type situation, so someone needs to make the first step.
Speaking for myself I would probably even help funding a couple games via kickstarter.

90 percent of the world runs on Windows. Even AAA game companies can do simple math. In fact, if you ask me, it would be smaller companies who would be more likely to appease a niche market.

Reactions: JMacHack

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
90 percent of the world runs on Windows. Even AAA game companies can do simple math. In fact, if you ask me, it would be smaller companies who would be more likely to appease a niche market.
Yup, and of the other 10%, Linux is still bigger than mac. Now some of it is a self fulfilling prophecy - no AAA titles, so no one runs them, since no one runs them, no AAA titles.

I think we'll see continue to see games that don't push graphics at the cutting edge - stuff that just runs on unity for example. But things with deep custom engines/code? Unlikely unless the engine really is native/cross-platform.

Jára Tyky

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
It's not that Parallels is such a big company, but Apple definitely contacted them before the move to M1, if only for the presentation of the new M1 Mac's -- they showed Parallels running Windows on Arm in it, and Parallels had to have been working on it for some time to get that far.
You really believe that Apple contact them? Then you are very naive.. Apple don´t give a ******* about Windows.

zarathu

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2003
These companies who make games are subsidized by the big Intel and MS to make the games in the first place. Apple could do this if they wanted to get into the game market, but they aren’t interested.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
You really believe that Apple contact them? Then you are very naive.. Apple don´t give a ******* about Windows.
I have absolutely no doubt they contacted them. It's not me that's the naive one. Apple would be idiots not to.

So why did they show an M1 Macbook running Windows in the M1 debut event?

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
I have absolutely no doubt they contacted them. It's not me that's the naive one. Apple would be idiots not to.

Excellent point. Apple themselves mentioned Parallels. So yes, they do see Virtualization as an important alternative to Bootcamp.

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
These companies who make games are subsidized by the big Intel and MS to make the games in the first place. Apple could do this if they wanted to get into the game market, but they aren’t interested.
That's a very good point...pay to port

Reactions: bobcomer

macpot

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2017

Not to disagree with your point, but IIRC they showed an Ubuntu VM running on Parallels, not Windows.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Not to disagree with your point, but IIRC they showed an Ubuntu VM running on Parallels, not Windows.
I remember them running Windows. But anyway, whichever, it shows they definitely were in contact with them. Being able to run other OS's in a VM is pretty important these days. I run both Linux and Windows (and others) in a VM on pretty much all my PC's. (Mac or Windows hosts)

artvandelay04

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2021
Hello,

I'm currently running NBA 2K14 on an intel MacBook via Parallels. I'm considering getting a new M1 Pro MacBook Pro. I am wondering if an old title such as NBA 2k14 will run on a Windows ARM virtual machine.

Has anybody tried running NBA 2k14 (or any of the PC NBA 2K versions) on M1 chips via Parallels?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.