Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which would you get in my situation?

• Choice 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Choice 2

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Choice 3

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Choice 4

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Choice 5

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
macdaddy121 said:
If you would have read my post.....you would see that you can have the Nikon for the same price as some of the options you listed above. If you want to not get a Canon or Nikon just so you can say, hey I have something different, then more power to you. But it is not because youd can't afford one....atleast if you can afford the above options you can afford the canon or the nikon.
I assumed that this price was used, in which case I wouldn't really consider it the "same price."

Am I assuming wrong?

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
Buschmaster said:
I assumed that this price was used, in which case I wouldn't really consider it the "same price."

Am I assuming wrong?

This is the price for a brand new Nikon D50.

I don't know if it was just my store (I doubt that it is) but a brand new D50 with a really good kit lense for $550. It made my decision easy. I might be wrong but I don't think you can get a better camera for the money. Every review talks about how great of a DSLR camera the D50 is.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
Buschmaster said:
Well, when I looked online there it was $600... so...

Maybe in-store it's different.

Online store vs. actual retail store is different. I don't know how or why but they are. I have asked salesmen at the store and operators on the phone and no one can really tell me why other than, "we just are".

Check out your local Wolf Camera. Call them up in the morning and see if they have this. It is a new D50 body with a Quantaray 28-90mm lense for $550. You won't be disappointed.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Ewwww.....Quantaray!!?

macdaddy121 said:
I might be wrong but I don't think you can get a better camera for the money. Every review talks about how great of a DSLR camera the D50 is.

Yes, but to be fair, have you ever read a bad review about the Pentax or Samsung models he's asking about? I have read a review on the Pentax *ist DS and Samsung model he's interested in from a magazine, and while they didn't get into those resolution tests (that really don't mean much in actual photography, IMO), but both reviews were positive. The Samsung review was very positive that Samsung has created a very good DSLR to start with.

I have a Nikon D50 myself, but that doesn't mean we should be narrowminded and not accept that other people may want something different. I'd recommended a D50 to him in a previous thread, as did others. However, he wants one of the cameras on his list, and they're not bad choices despite not being made by either of the 2 most popular companies.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
Abstract said:
Ewwww.....Quantaray!!?

Yes, but to be fair, have you ever read a bad review about the Pentax or Samsung models he's asking about? I have read a review on the Pentax *ist DS and Samsung model he's interested in from a magazine, and while they didn't get into those resolution tests (that really don't mean much in actual photography, IMO), but both reviews were positive. The Samsung review was very positive that Samsung has created a very good DSLR to start with.

I have a Nikon D50 myself, but that doesn't mean we should be narrowminded and not accept that other people may want something different. I'd love to recommend a D50 to him, and I did in a previous thread. However, he wants one of the cameras on his list, and they're not bad choices even if they're not one of the 2 most popular companies.

I had never heard of the Quantaray either but I tried it out and I was pretty impressed for a kit lense and for the body and the lense 550. I said in a previous post....if you want to be different than Nikon and Canon....more power to you. I'm just saying for someone interested in photography and making it a hobby you have to realize the long term affects. I think that right now there are 2 camera lines that can give you a 99.9% gaurantee that they will be around for a long long time. That is Nikon and Canon. The more I get into the photography thing the more I realize that this is expensive!!!! If you don't have some money to spend....don't do it....because it takes a lot to get some good equiptment.

I have read the reviews too....I'm just thinking long term. And again....do what you want....by all means....if you want to buck the trend of Nikon and Canon...then have fun with it.....by the way....I don't think Pentax is going anywhere for a while either....I really like Pentax too.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
I'm pretty set on the *ist DL, but I'm probably buying body only and getting one of the following lenses: (Unless you guys really feel there is a better lens in a kit of less than 500ish)

Lenses are a bit overwhelming to me... How do you guys feel about this lens:
Pentax smc P-DA 18-55mm

I can get that in a package at Circuit city under $500.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
And here's where the lens research begins. ;)

Some help:

Photozone.de

Note that any lens that has a rating of *** is already decent. People are rather picky about their lenses, and a *** 1/2 or **** is very good already. I'd just go for one of the 28-80 mm lenses that you searched for, and not get anything else for awhile until you know what you need.

Once you know what you want, buy a good lens and get something of quality that you'll keep and use for years. ;)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Quantaray? Don't get involved with any product with that label unless you're buying for someone you really dislike.

When Sigma and Tamron are still not always up to great quality, where do you rate Quantaray? It's always been at the bottom.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
bousozoku said:
Quantaray? Don't get involved with any product with that label unless you're buying for someone you really dislike.

When Sigma and Tamron are still not always up to great quality, where do you rate Quantaray? It's always been at the bottom.

As a starter kit lense, I see nothing wrong with it. My salesman is letting me exchange it 2 days after buying the body so that I can get the 50mm 1.8 for free.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Don't waste your money on a Quantaray lens. If you are at all serious about photography, you will want decent image quality and, well, that's just not going to happen with a Quantaray.

It sounds to me as though you are far more concerned with how cheaply you can get something than about the actual quality of the camera and lens; that's really unfortunate, because the quaity of your images will be most definitely affected by the quality of your equipment. This is one area in which it does not pay to play cheap, because in the end you'll either give up in disgust because you can't seem to get decent images or you'll wind up dumping the Quantaray and buying better lenses because you've realized that you can't get decent images. Either way you will have wasted some money.

Maybe you'd be better off just buying a high-end P&S for around $400, work with that for a while until you have a better understanding of what photography is all about.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
Clix Pix said:
Don't waste your money on a Quantaray lens. If you are at all serious about photography, you will want decent image quality and, well, that's just not going to happen with a Quantaray.

It sounds to me as though you are far more concerned with how cheaply you can get something than about the actual quality of the camera and lens; that's really unfortunate, because the quaity of your images will be most definitely affected by the quality of your equipment. This is one area in which it does not pay to play cheap, because in the end you'll either give up in disgust because you can't seem to get decent images or you'll wind up dumping the Quantaray and buying better lenses because you've realized that you can't get decent images. Either way you will have wasted some money.

Well in my situation the store is giving the lense away as a free gift with a D50 body (so I spend $0). Then the guy is letting me come back two days later to exchange it for the Nikon 50mm 1.8. So I get a heck of a deal. I get a brand new Nikon D50 body with a Nikon 50mm 1.8 lense for $550!!!

I know that the majority of money should be spent on lense. In fact over the lifespan of purchasing gear.....one will probably spend 70% of their overall camera $$$$ on lenses.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
That sounds odd, that they'd give you this Quantaray lens for free, then allow you to come in two days later and swap it out for the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 (which, by the way, is only around $100 anyway).....

Whatever. The D50 is a good little camera, from everything I've heard from those who have one, so you can't go wrong there.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
Clix Pix said:
That sounds odd, that they'd give you this Quantaray lens for free, then allow you to come in two days later and swap it out for the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 (which, by the way, is only around $100 anyway).....

Whatever. The D50 is a good little camera, from everything I've heard from those who have one, so you can't go wrong there.

The guy said the Quantaray lense is about $100 and that if I wanted to come back a couple of days after I bought the d50 (with free lense) that he would exchange the quantaray for a 50mm 1.8. It seemed to good to be true so I asked him on a few different occasions if that was the case....he said yes and when I picked it up yesterday he told me to come back Friday after 1 pm to exchange it for the lense. He's the manager and I think he's trying to keep my business.

In fact I have heard such good things about the 50mm 1.8, I bought another from my new friend Nospleen on Macrumors. I'm going to give the new one to my mom for her D50. I think she will enjoy it. She's new to photography too.

Clix you and I are registered and two of the same forums. Hope you don't get tired of me too much. I talk alot!! :D

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
I know in the end I'll end up spending way more on lenses, but time being, I'd be perfectly happy with one of those cheaper ones, correct? Sounds like I should get either the Pentax, Tamaron, or Pheonix 28-80. I can get the Tamron for $49 used... May be the most bang for the buck, unless one of the others is better.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
Buschmaster said:
Thanks. They actually have a way better price on the *ist DL that I'm actually planning on getting.

Edit:
http://www.price.com/vendor_review_display.html?vid=-2147483120

Amazing what another 4 second search on google can turn up.

I was looking for the same reviews:

http://forums.photographyreview.com/showthread.php?t=10918

Do not buy from these people. Like someone says in the forum I pasted....if it is usually to good to be true for an online camera purchase then it usually is.

Don't try and buy from one of these ripoff places.....you will regret it when all you get is your camera with no battery or charges 3 months after you order it.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Yeah, avoid those. There's a reason people still buy from B&H online.....

Anyway, you'll obviously get better photos with a better lens, but usually the difference is only slight. If you're into photography, that slight difference may be a very big deal to you. For yourself, I'm guessing you won't even notice the difference unless someone at this forum pointed it out to you.

The Pentax you're looking at is going to take some great photos for you, as long as you get better at photography and take some interesting photos with it. Kit lenses are usually cheap, but they're honestly capable of taking great photos. In fact, you won't even know you were using a cheap lens until someone tells you. It's just that sometimes these lenses may have trouble with a certain type of lighting, or they'll result in some minor flaws in the images (eg: chromatic abberation), but hell, even the expensive lenses end up with some of these flaws, like CA.

A Pentax + kit lens would be fantastic. :) A Pentax + the Sigma or Tamron lens you were looking at will also take great photos. Once you get into it, then decide on what lenses to invest in.

Don't get Phoenix or Quantaray. I've never even heard of Phoenix, but Quantaray is garbage.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
Clix Pix said:
Nikon Cafe, right? I noticed a couple of posts over there the other day and thought, "betcha this person posts at MacRumors, too!" :)

Yep....you might be talking about my posts last night trying to talk someone into getting a Mac....

I was trying to see how long I could last without letting you know that we were registered at both forums. Didn't last to long!!! Now you can't buy things for really cheap here and sell them over there with a mark up....I'm watching you....Just kidding. I will be seeing you around and posting some pics over there. Be nice to me.....:D

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
macdaddy121 said:
Yep....you might be talking about my posts last night trying to talk someone into getting a Mac....

I was trying to see how long I could last without letting you know that we were registered at both forums. Didn't last to long!!! Now you can't buy things for really cheap here and sell them over there with a mark up....I'm watching you....Just kidding. I will be seeing you around and posting some pics over there. Be nice to me.....:D

Yep, my two favorite sites online are this place and Nikon Cafe.... :) Yep, I'll keep an eye out for you there! A few other folks here also post over there as well.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.