Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Google Passkey doesn’t work for me or I don’t understand how it is supposed to work like it asked me to set o e up on my Mac but when I log in a day later, it’s asking for my password again. When I check my Google settings, it shows 1 Passkey but it’s never being triggered?

Shin-Ra

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2008
The Google login flow’s a bit confusing because (with Safari-iPadOS at least) when it first requests your “Email or phone” the Safari autofill says “Sign in to google.com with your saved password?” even though it’s only autofilling the email or phone field at this stage. Continue anyway and the next page the passkey prompt should appear.

PayPal handles this more elegantly with the initial “Email address or mobile number” field triggering the autofill to immediately request a passkey. Less steps and no conflicting password/passkey wording.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Google Passkey doesn’t work for me or I don’t understand how it is supposed to work like it asked me to set o e up on my Mac but when I log in a day later, it’s asking for my password again. When I check my Google settings, it shows 1 Passkey but it’s never being triggered?
Click on the "Try another way" link at the bottom of the sign in page:

CleanShot 2023-11-17 at 09.57.09@2x.png

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Passkey adoption is slow
This doesn’t seem to be a top priority for many companies. Don’t know why
It’ll take a fee years to see this adapted universally

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Passkey adoption is slow
This doesn’t seem to be a top priority for many companies. Don’t know why
It’ll take a fee years to see this adapted universally

But it’s gaining traction with large websites/vendors. Apple, Microsoft, Google and Amazon have all adopted it. Give it time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.