Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macbookey

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2023
Does it support passkeys?
Not currently, but they have stated they are working on it on their website. You would have to rely on the native  Passwords for your Passkeys in the meantime. Give it a free trial and see if it works for you.

Reactions: ledzep1

Applecopse

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2024
As a very long standing 1Password user, I was looking forward to trying the Apple Passwords app but the lack of an enhanced security feature such as a separate strong password for accessing it is a show stopper for me.
Biometrics are not an option on my Mac mini with a standard keyboard and no camera. Having a strong screen lock password would be tedious.
Fingers crossed that the option of a separate password becomes an option.

Reactions: Macbookey

Macbookey

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2023
As a very long standing 1Password user, I was looking forward to trying the Apple Passwords app but the lack of an enhanced security feature such as a separate strong password for accessing it is a show stopper for me.
Biometrics are not an option on my Mac mini with a standard keyboard and no camera. Having a strong screen lock password would be tedious.
Fingers crossed that the option of a separate password becomes an option.
Totally agree that this needs to be an option. I also would like to see the clipboard clear itself on a timer like other dedicated password managers do. For now I just a run a shortcut in the menu bar from the shortcuts app.

PotentPeas

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2023
I'm planning to use this to set up shared password groups for family members. It seems like it will work well enough for that. (It was already possible to use Keychain for this, as I understand it, but sort of clunky; its just been streamlined a good bit.)

For my own password manager I use KeePassXC on macOS (+ Windows) and Keepassium on iOS with a shared password database file; I do like that iOS 18 has the option to "keep files downloaded" in iCloud Drive so I can finally use that as my sync mechanism.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
No "Notes" section in the macos Passwords app. Ugh.

It doesn't really seem like an "app"…more like a prettier version of Keychain Access.
You can add notes to your passwords. Or did you mean something like the locked notes done through the Notes app?

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I've used 1Password for at least 7 or 8 years. I have paid for it monthly for a long while now so that my wife can have it on her devices and have access to all the same passwords.

The success rate of 1Password storing a new password that is created by either Safari or an App is about 40%. The success rate of 1Password offering to autofill something in Safari or an App is about 60%. It's frustrating to say the least, and not the least bit impressive.

Apple's iCloud Keychain / Passwords app is just as capable, while not costing anything. With Family Sharing built in that is already used for everything in my house. I don't need every imaginable feature that 1Password has come with to try to remain relevant. I need my password management to not be a monthly subscription, and its the kind of critical thing I'd prefer remain first party.
We have the same success rate with 1password and i must admit apple password has a much higher success rate so im a big fan of it at the moment. I’m just moving things over as i need them.

i think i might export 1password and print off the file for old school security and then delete 1password.

Reactions: Cirillo Gherardo

iBookmaster

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2024
Nice setting for Passwords. Open the Passwords app. In the Menu bar click Passwords, click Settings and click a check mark in the box Show Passwords In Menu Bar.

Reactions: johnscully

Cirillo Gherardo

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2024
We have the same success rate with 1password and i must admit apple password has a much higher success rate so im a big fan of it at the moment. I’m just moving things over as i need them.

i think i might export 1password and print off the file for old school security and then delete 1password.
I did an export in 1Password and import into Passwords, but unfortunately Apple put almost no effort into this part. It imported a lot, but would not import anything that would override and existing password. Like most people, I have stuff stored in both 1Password and Passwords, so a lot of the most important stuff is going to get detected as duplicate. And despite the 1Password list being the most up to date, there was no option to allow me to override.

Reactions: osplo

bob_zz123

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2017
I really like it, I moved across from 1Password and it was a really smooth transfer.

The one feature that I am really missing is not being able to have folders for my passwords, or even tags. I know there is a shared folder feature but that's not what I am looking for, it's more for personal organisation.

It is basic, but it does the basics well and I am expecting that Apple will be in on the long haul with this and be supporting it and improving it and adding new features (probably with endless hyperbole "greatest new feature ever" but I can tolerate that!) so I'm happy to give it time. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Reactions: Macbookey

jeroenvip

macrumors regular
May 13, 2017
Keychain Access is still there for the other things it's used for, but you won't find your passwords in there anymore. Have to use the new Passwords app for those.
I was wondering what happened to the passwords in the keychain. So used to pressing command spacebar and open up keychain tool. Apple decided to boost cleaning up the keychain access tool with a grey square shaped piece of cloth. The apple cleaning cloth wiped the slate clean for the keychain tool. Rip

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
Shared family passwords is my favourite feature. My OH finds 1Password cumbersome to use and much prefer the simplicity of Keychain. I'm think of moving my secure notes from 1Password to Apple Notes and saving an annual subscription.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.