Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Hi,

I'm writing on behalf of a friend who is in a situation that sounds really fishy to me, so I'd just like to get a second opinion.

He bought a product from a site, and paid using a credit card via PayPal. The product ended up being defective. When my friend contacted the company via email, they offered him a 20% refund. He wasn't too happy with such a small refund on a $110 product but decided to take what he was given.

Two weeks later, he was yet to see any sign of the refund so contacted the company again and asked when he should expect to receive it. It turns out that they'd given him an account credit off his next purchase, rather than a refund. He was even less impressed with this, as obviously there wasn't going to be a next purchase after this mess. When he asked for the actual refund as originally promised, they changed tactics and offered a 50% refund, but wanted his bank account number.

Am I wrong in thinking that they could/should be refunding back into his PayPal account? Are alarm bells going off for anyone else? Does this break any PayPal policies? I've heard that PP is buyer-friendly (at least for eBay purchases, not sure about directly from commercial sites), so should my friend contact PayPal, or could all of this be legitimate?

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
That sounds pretty whack.... have them contact paypal for sure. If the product was truly defective they'll most likely either A) tell the seller to do a full refund or B) perform the refund themselves and take it out of the seller's account.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
If the product is defective, then IMO, anything less than a 100% refund is unacceptable. I'd file a PayPal dispute if the company isn't willing to budge.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
If the product is defective, then IMO, anything less than a 100% refund is unacceptable. I'd file a PayPal dispute if the company isn't willing to budge.

100% agree. A defective product should result in full refund or exchange with a new product (at no cost to the buyer for shipping)

luvmymbpr

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2014

This! Paypal always supports the buyer. File a dispute, and they will refund your money. If that doesn't work, your credit card surely will.

----------

Absolutely THIS.

PayPal is NOT your friend.

-t

Paypal is your friend if you are the buyer. If you are the seller, good luck and godspeed.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
How long ago did he purchase the product? After 45 days sellers can't provide a refund directly via PayPal.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Oops, sorry, I forgot to post an update. My friend contacted PayPal and they said that the seller isn't breaking any rules, however PP recommended that the seller should be refunding into the PayPal account, not doing a bank transfer.

My friend then contacted the company again and told them what PayPal had suggested. Suddenly (presumably now that they know that PayPal is involved) they did a 180 and are now sending out a new product for free. Hopefully this one is better quality than the last one!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.