Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wireless-toyz09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
Hello all, I’m sure I can get more help with this from you guys than from Apple support.

I have an iPhone 7 Plus that was on iOS 13.3. Had no plan to update to 13.4.

Here’s what’s been happening: My phone storage is usually almost full so I periodically would offload apps or delete videos in order to free up space for the remaining apps to be able to run properly. Sometimes after deleting items the phone would not recognize the space I’ve freed up so I would turn phone off and back on and then it would. However I noticed that the iPhone started taking longer to boot, sometimes going from Apple logo to black screen after a few mins and back to Apple logo repeating a few times before it finally boots.

Here’s what happened: phone started running low on storage space again which meant apps couldn’t open/crash when it opened so I tried to offload some more apps but the phone wouldn’t delete the apps! And even the settings app started crashing upon opening. I figured the phone needed to reboot again to catch itself and then I’d force an iCloud backup to be on the safe side once the settings app stopped crashing. (my last update was beginning of March) I turned phone off and then back on and it started it’s usual Apple logo to black screen to Apple logo but it repeated this cycle indefinitely and never booted!! -Not sure if this is what’s considered a boot loop.

...So I started doing google searches on what to do. Majority of the results said updating the iOS device should get the iPhone running again or if I purchased this very expensive software it could automatically “repair” the device without data loss once I put phone in recovery mode. Of course I decided to go the free route and update in iTunes and I thought I was pretty lucky because i didn't already have the latest software. Only one big dilemma is that I didn’t have much free space to do a OTA update before the phone turned off so I looked into how iTunes updates work and came across a Apple support page that stated if your iOS device is low on storage, try an iTunes update (probably because all the temp files would be saved to the computer instead of the iOS device). Perfect I thought! (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203097). I did all the prerequisites: put iPhone in recovery mode, update to latest iTunes version etc.

iTunes downloaded 13.4 and Update started. The iPhone progress bar got to about halfway and the iTunes “updating iPhones firmware” bar got all the way to the end then it suddenly issued error 14! Then phone rebooted and went straight into recovery mode, no more boot loop like before. I was devastated. iTunes error code page says that error code 14 means there’s a usb cable issue (was using a new Apple cable), bad USB port on computer, antivirus software blocking it OR “problem with with your hardware”. I then did further research on the error and a few sites listed “low device storage” as a possible reason as well. This confused me as the support page clearly stated that iTunes update can be used if there’s low device storage but the other possible reasons sound pretty crazy eg. antivirus/firewall. iTunes only other option was to restore which would erase everything and not what I wanted to do especially cus when I researched some more, some people said restore didn’t work either as it could be battery or something called the u16 chip. All the other results led me back to the same expensive program that promises to fix/repair iOS device with various boot issues once you put phone in recovery mode. After contemplating i purchased the license and ran the “repair”. It literally did the same thing as iTunes and got just as far before it gave error (iPhone progress bar was at half again). Total waste of money. I then tried the iTunes update once more and it gave error 14 again.

I’m so confused:

1) what does this error 14 really mean?
2j did the phone actually update to iOS 13.4 or is it still on on the previous one?
2) can the Dfu mode be used to update without erasing?
3) can the iPhone be backup up once more while in recovery mode?

Could really use some suggestions. I’ve tried it all. Apple support is convinced it’s a firewall or antivirus blocking the update. The support agent told me if it was a low storage problem it would have produced a different number.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Error 14 relate to problem with USB or hardware issues.

Have you tried using a different USB cable preferable OEM or try a different port? Do you have the latest iTunes? Check the About to see if it is version 12.10.5.12 which is the latest for PC. If not, download it directly https://www.apple.com/il/itunes/download/ and select Windows 32/64 bit. Do not download from Microsoft Store.

If the problem persists, go into Device Manager while the device is connected. Go under Universal Serial Bus Controller and find the Apple Mobile Support, right click it, Update driver and select search automatically. Sometimes, the driver may be replaced by a Microsoft generic driver which may cause some errors.

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
1) Why on earth you wouldn't do an iTunes backup while you still can, and even think of the iCloud backup when you can't do it?

2) iMazing can reinstall iOS in DFU without erasing data, but chances that this will help are really low in your case. From what you describe it sounds more like a "loop disease" due to Audio IC issue. Better take it to a trusted third-party repair store, will save you a lot of time.

gautam_enigma

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2020
I am exactly stuck on the same problem. Just that I am using iPhone XS. I tried contacting customer care and even looked up online, but there was no resolution to this. It keeps on showing error 14. Even my phone is running low on memory. I tried the following as suggested by the apple care
1. Updated iTunes
2. Used a different USB port
3. Used a different USB cable (Both are almost new although)
4. Used a different windows computer
5. Deleted downloaded software update ipsw file and reinstalled it.
6. Borrowed a MacBook from friend and tried the same on it.
7. Disabled the firewalls.

Unfortunately, None of this works.

I have data backed upto 20th January. So just wanted to check if there is any way out.

There are lot of 3rd Party Apps claiming to work a solution, but all of them have a mixed reviews. (Positive ones looks like all made up and false reviews).

I am waiting until tomorrow before restoring it. Let me know if you come across any solution

Reactions: wireless-toyz09

wireless-toyz09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
1) Why on earth you wouldn't do an iTunes backup while you still can, and even think of the iCloud backup when you can't do it?

2) iMazing can reinstall iOS in DFU without erasing data, but chances that this will help are really low in your case. From what you describe it sounds more like a "loop disease" due to Audio IC issue. Better take it to a trusted third-party repair store, will save you a lot of time.

Biggest regret ever not doing the iTunes backup before turning phone off but because nothing was opening I assumed doing it after I rebooted would be better. Sigh.
[automerge]1585845179[/automerge]
Error 14 relate to problem with USB or hardware issues.

Have you tried using a different USB cable preferable OEM or try a different port? Do you have the latest iTunes? Check the About to see if it is version 12.10.5.12 which is the latest for PC. If not, download it directly https://www.apple.com/il/itunes/download/ and select Windows 32/64 bit. Do not download from Microsoft Store.

If the problem persists, go into Device Manager while the device is connected. Go under Universal Serial Bus Controller and find the Apple Mobile Support, right click it, Update driver and select search automatically. Sometimes, the driver may be replaced by a Microsoft generic driver which may cause some errors.

I haven’t tried a different usb cable because the one I’m using is basically new. It came with my AirPods. I have the latest iTunes version 12.10.5.12. I’ll try the device manager. Thanks for your response.

wireless-toyz09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
Does anyone know if in DFU mode I can try to install my previous iOS 13.3 since the iOS 13.4 update never finished ?

wireless-toyz09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009

Since the iPhone no longer has boot loop disease (where the Apple logo stays on for a while and then off and back on again) and instead just boots into recovery mode instantly because of the unfinished update have I messed up any chance of audio ic repair?

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
Since the iPhone no longer has boot loop disease (where the Apple logo stays on for a while and then off and back on again) and instead just boots into recovery mode instantly because of the unfinished update have I messed up any chance of audio ic repair?
Didn't have a chance to reply earlier, sorry. iOS 13.3.x is no longer signed so not really. About Audio IC repair -- no, it's hardware, but not sure if the data will be saved... Also, double-check all symptoms with the tech guy, I could be wrong with the Audio IC after all (even if I don't think so :) But better safe than sorry).

Reactions: wireless-toyz09

tornado214

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2020

wireless-toyz09, I'm in the same position, facing almost the same scenario, Have you manage to overcome this problem and update your device without erasing your data?

wireless-toyz09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
wireless-toyz09, I'm in the same position, facing almost the same scenario, Have you manage to overcome this problem and update your device without erasing your data?

Unfortunately tornado214 I have not. I have tried updating a few more times but still nothing so the phone is still useless to me as I refuse to restore and then it throws error 14 again (as I’ve discovered has happened to some people) so it remains stuck in recovery mode. I have just purchased a replacement iPhone 7 Plus actually so that I can have a phone to use. I’m still keeping hope that someone will find a solution for this...

Reactions: tornado214

tornado214

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2020
Unfortunately tornado214 I have not. I have tried updating a few more times but still nothing so the phone is still useless to me as I refuse to restore and then it throws error 14 again (as I’ve discovered has happened to some people) so it remains stuck in recovery mode. I have just purchased a replacement iPhone 7 Plus actually so that I can have a phone to use. I’m still keeping hope that someone will find a solution for this...

wireless-toyz09
Thanks for your feedback!!
I'm in the same boat, it is getting harder that every day I keep trying to pass error 14 without success, my device is stuck on recovery mode as well, I believe low storage space in my device most likely is causing this error, and I don't know how it can be possible to increase available storage while the device in recovery mode?
Also throughout your painful experience, have you checked or consulted a repair tech on possibilities of hardware repair or have anyone works in your device hardware yet?
Thanks.

wireless-toyz09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
wireless-toyz09
Thanks for your feedback!!
I'm in the same boat, it is getting harder that every day I keep trying to pass error 14 without success, my device is stuck on recovery mode as well, I believe low storage space in my device most likely is causing this error, and I don't know how it can be possible to increase available storage while the device in recovery mode?
Also throughout your painful experience, have you checked or consulted a repair tech on possibilities of hardware repair or have anyone works in your device hardware yet?
Thanks.
Actually yes. I consulted the company called iPad repair. Sent them the full story and they came back and said nothing they can do. They were supposed to be the “experts” so that was pretty disappointing.

DM321

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2020
This situation is horrible. I'm also facing same issue. There is third party software who offers system recovery along with data and if doesn't work there is a money back guarantee within 7 days. Software name is Dr.fone. What do you say shall we proceed with that? If it works, we can share the key with everyone to get it done and will distribute the amount once it works.

tornado214

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2020
Hello Great People!!!

This form had valuable information and it can have even more value if we continue contributing and sharing knowledge, apparently we are facing a common problem (error 14) with similarity in circumstances and time interval (April, April).

So please keep the wheel moving, if any one reached to the resolution, or if any one manage to update with an older iOS version?

Your feedback is highly appreciated!!

wireless-toyz09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
This situation is horrible. I'm also facing same issue. There is third party software who offers system recovery along with data and if doesn't work there is a money back guarantee within 7 days. Software name is Dr.fone. What do you say shall we proceed with that? If it works, we can share the key with everyone to get it done and will distribute the amount once it works.
It doesn’t work! And the money back “guarantee” is bull crap.

berni0101

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2020
I have the same issue.. Any luck, anyone? I am struggling for a long time now with this..

berni0101

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2020
Hi berni0101
What steps you had followed so far?
Hi tornado214,
I tried everything.
Different cables, different ports, different computers Mac, Windows.. iTunes update, updating by downloading the ipsw from Apple..., there is no firewall.. deleted ipsw and redownloaded....
When I try to update it, it progresses until about 45% and then the nerve-racking error 14 comes up.

tornado214

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2020
Hi tornado214,
I tried everything.
Different cables, different ports, different computers Mac, Windows.. iTunes update, updating by downloading the ipsw from Apple..., there is no firewall.. deleted ipsw and redownloaded....
When I try to update it, it progresses until about 45% and then the nerve-racking error 14 comes up.
Hi berni0101
Is your device running low in storage? I'm reaching 30% in progression bar but I have a low storage, I just want to verify if low storage can be contribute factor!
Have you try to downgrade IOS to an older version?

Zgold

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2020
Hi friends,
Error 14 is a very sad epidemic. Unfortunately, to date there’s nothing that can be done to retrieve the data. Only Apple can do something about this but they chose to sweep the problem under the rag.
The only way to get them to do something about this problem is to make sure our voice is heard everywhere. I tried to approach several media outlets and tech journalists, with the hopes that they’ll pick up the story!

This problem comes without any notice whatsoever!! They shouldn’t be selling junk for so much money!!

Please watch the following YouTube video. It’ll give you all the info you need about “error 24”.

Reactions: tornado214

tornado214

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2020
Hi friends,
Error 14 is a very sad epidemic. Unfortunately, to date there’s nothing that can be done to retrieve the data. Only Apple can do something about this but they chose to sweep the problem under the rag.
The only way to get them to do something about this problem is to make sure our voice is heard everywhere. I tried to approach several media outlets and tech journalists, with the hopes that they’ll pick up the story!

This problem comes without any notice whatsoever!! They shouldn’t be selling junk for so much money!!

Please watch the following YouTube video. It’ll give you all the info you need about “error 24”.

Hi Zgold

Thanks for sharing, unfortunately this is Apple's stance as of today!!

It would be great if apple would release a compassionate update to fix error 14.

I smashed the subscribe button with notifications on!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.