Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtngal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
Is there a better way to attach the Pencil Pro to the iPad Pro (M4) than on the top? I’ve lost 3 pencils in the past because I keep knocking them off somewhere (the last one was over a year ago when I just gave up on one). I love the new features on this one but it doesn’t hold on as well as my old M1 iPad did. I use the Magic Keyboard almost all the time, so I don’t want to get a second cover that has a holder for it. Has anyone come up with a better solution?

It’s the only thing I’m not pleased about with this new iPad, and it’s funny how something as small as this can quickly become irritating.

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Get a pencil holder or but a case with a pencil holding strap built in. Plus many more from a few dollars to leathe ones for example
Built in holder, one of many

mtngal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
That ESR pencil holder looks like what I want, since it looks like it can attach to any case. I use the Magic Keyboard case most of the time and don’t really want a second case, which I wouldn’t use when I’m most often knocking the pencil off it’s holder.

Thanks!

DarkSorrow82

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2016
Minocqua, WI
Get a pencil holder or but a case with a pencil holding strap built in. Plus many more from a few dollars to leathe ones for example
Built in holder, one of many

None of those say works with M4 iPad Pro or the Pencil Pro.

mtngal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
Good point about the referenced cases. I’ve ordered the stick-on pencil holder, figure that it should work with the Pencil Pro, or at least I’ll give it a try. I don’t think there’s much size difference with the Pencil Pro, is there? Granted, I lost all of the 3 previous pencils I’ve had and the last one was about a year ago, so I might be wrong about that.

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
None of those say works with M4 iPad Pro or the Pencil Pro.

I have the new Pencil Pro, and the ESR slip in holder and it fits perfectly. It is on one of my older cases (unfortunately I can’t remove it because the adhesive is very good without damaging the leather case its on to use it on my new Smart Folio case). On a side note the ESR slip in pencil holder is rather flat when not in use. It is designed for the pencil only no grips can be attached. As a point of interest only I also have the Nomad case for for my older 1Pad Pro and where the case is not a perfect fit the close strap holds the case on and wraps around the Pencil Pro and holds that to the case securely.

mtngal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
I am considering this zipped pouch, it holds everything securely even the MKB. I have the M4 13” + Pencil + Smart Folio

Nice looking cases - I especially like their accessory cases. I’m going to have to think about that though.

When my iPad isn’t on my table, it’s in a suitcase type of thing that has places for computer, iPad and other stuff. I find I have enough cords, power bricks and accessories that it can be hard to stay organized. OTOH, I have enough that fitting another case like the accessory case could be problematic. But it looks very useful! I’m mostly concerned because I’m constantly knocking it off the iPad when it’s on my table.

Another thing to consider: The new pencil has find-my built in so you should be able to find it back even if you lose it.
I played around with the find-my yesterday. It’s not going to be quite as useful as I had thought - it told me that I was close and to look around, but it won’t play a sound. The last pencil I lost fell behind some dinette cushions or rolled on the floor - I looked all over the floor, took out the cushions and tried to go through the drawer and the cabinet that are both under the seat - still couldn’t see it (but both are pretty full of stuff and I didn’t pull out everything at that time - I did later and still don’t know where it went). Since it isn’t able to make a noise, I figure I better secure it better.

There are some interesting ideas in that thread, thanks for the link. Since I’ve already ordered the ESR pencil holder, I’ll wait before I pursue anything else.

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
I’ve been buying these on eBay for a couple of years now, since I too lost a pencil. looks nice and doesn’t interfere with charging and has no impact on the Magic Keyboard. I went red this time, just for a change. They are available in several colors

Search Microsoft Surface pen holder. $10-15 usually

edit to add a pic from the backside..

Attachments

• IMG_0309.jpeg
    IMG_0309.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0310.jpeg
    IMG_0310.jpeg
    480.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0331.jpeg
    IMG_0331.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Reactions: masotime
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.