Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoliS

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2017
If they restored the phone then he will not be able to track it any longer with find my iphone.
It will just be stuck at the icloud activation lock screen asking for the owners Apple ID and password.
I think that is the case with this device that was stolen a few years back.
But can you do a factory reset without turning off Find My iPhone?

Or are you saying put it in DFU mode and then restore it?

Reactions: Applejuiced

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
But can you do a factory reset without turning off Find My iPhone?

Or are you saying put it in DFU mode and then restore it?

Yes, you can do a dfu mode restore or enter the device in recovery mode and restore it via itunes.
It will stay locked obviously to the original icloud account but everything will be wiped clean and it will not be able to be tracked via find my iphone any more.

Reactions: LoliS

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
My iPhone was stolen from me around two years ago and all of the sudden yesterday I get a notification on WhatsApp from a man saying that they have my phone and that they want me to delete my ICloud account or give them the information for it so they could use my phone.

They keep contacting me from different numbers and I keep blocking them but I am getting concerned. I was wondering how they were able to get my phone number if my phone was locked and reported on Find my iPhone when it was stolen?

I don't know what I should do.
There probably contacting you cause they bought it from some dumbass that stole it. I bought an iPhone 6 about a year and half ago and didn't really know anything iPhones back then. Got it home and it was iCloud locked. So that's probably what's happening with those people that are contacting you.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
There probably contacting you cause they bought it from some dumbass that stole it. I bought an iPhone 6 about a year and half ago and didn't really know anything iPhones back then. Got it home and it was iCloud locked. So that's probably what's happening with those people that are contacting you.

Doesn't matter anyway...iCloud lock should stay on (forever).

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I think they probably bought it and weren't aware it was stolen good and are now desperate to use the phone they paid for. I'd tell them they are holding onto stolen goods and to return it asap as you will file a police report in X days if they do not return it. They will learn not to buy phones from Craigslist or the like.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Is there a possibility that this claim is a scam?

This.

Yes, it's possible it is a phishing scam.

My guess is the original text did not specify how they came into possession of the phone (which they likely don't actually possess).

At the top of the list, they want anyone stupid enough to divulge their Apple ID and password. Forget about spending money on iTunes - this is about harvesting contacts. Contacts provide enough info to make their next scam attempt, targeted at someone else in your contacts, more convincing. "Grandma, this is Sally, I got arrested for speeding, and I need $1,000 for bail..."

They also want any person whose response(s) confirm/divulge information about themselves. "Yes, I own Apple products" is enough to make you a decent candidate for other scams. The more you engage in conversation, the more you're likely to divulge. The responses they receive tell them whether there's a fish on the line, and what to say to start reeling that fish in.

"Your Mac's security software subscription is lapsing..." "This is Apple Security, there's a problem with your account..." "This is the ____Police. We've found your iPhone. Please give us the following information so we can return it to you...."

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I think they probably bought it and weren't aware it was stolen good and are now desperate to use the phone they paid for. I'd tell them they are holding onto stolen goods and to return it asap as you will file a police report in X days if they do not return it. They will learn not to buy phones from Craigslist or the like.

Its just weird that 2 years later they have the original owners phone number and contacting him now to release it.

davybe

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2015
Tell him you tried but failed. Apparently you need to input the password into the device. Ask him where he is, if he admits to being close, arrange a meet in a hotel. Have an officer waiting with you. Or a heavy squad...
[doublepost=1489921628][/doublepost]In the event that you try this approach, make sure you are not followed home, even after an apparent no-show. Stay safe.

What a good idea, try and meet up with thieves... Highly recommended!

Reactions: BeefCake 15

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Just ignore further contact and KEEP the iCloud lock on.

Best thing you can do. Anything else just invites potential issues...even the law enforcement ones.

And the earlier poster saying to remove the phone from your list after X years...why should they do that?!!!

Last edited:

Madrone

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2017
California
So weird - had something similar happen to me tonight. I had an iphone 6 stolen just shy of 2 years ago. Thieves switched in on again the next morning and I was able to trace it to a multi-family complex about 25 miles away. I had already enabled lost mode and set a message on the phone offering a reward for its return, but never heard any more. I kept the phone in iCloud and eventually replaced it.

Today, out of the blue - I get a Whatsapp message - from someone allegedly in Mexico, who says they found the phone on the street last week. They haven't asked me to unlock it - say it appears to be in good condition and what do I want to do with it. They sent me an image of the activation lock screen showing part of my message and phone number. We've agreed to chat again tomorrow.... Phishing scam? One suspect thing... The phone number they appear to be communicating from contains 4 digits from my lost iphone. Spoof number?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
So weird - had something similar happen to me tonight. I had an iphone 6 stolen just shy of 2 years ago. Thieves switched in on again the next morning and I was able to trace it to a multi-family complex about 25 miles away. I had already enabled lost mode and set a message on the phone offering a reward for its return, but never heard any more. I kept the phone in iCloud and eventually replaced it.

Today, out of the blue - I get a Whatsapp message - from someone allegedly in Mexico, who says they found the phone on the street last week. They haven't asked me to unlock it - say it appears to be in good condition and what do I want to do with it. They sent me an image of the activation lock screen showing part of my message and phone number. We've agreed to chat again tomorrow.... Phishing scam? One suspect thing... The phone number they appear to be communicating from contains 4 digits from my lost iphone. Spoof number?

Many of the cloud locked phones end up out of the country. I would still ignore and keep the lock on. It will not get your phone back but no one else will be able to use it.

Reactions: righteye

paulsmith92

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2017
My iPhone was stolen from me around two years ago and all of the sudden yesterday I get a notification on WhatsApp from a man saying that they have my phone and that they want me to delete my ICloud account or give them the information for it so they could use my phone.

They keep contacting me from different numbers and I keep blocking them but I am getting concerned. I was wondering how they were able to get my phone number if my phone was locked and reported on Find my iPhone when it was stolen?

I don't know what I should do.
Report to the nearby police station and give them the necessary details of your stolen iPhone. Further, they will take care off how to catch him.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
The original poster is a newbie and his only post is the thread starter. He hasn't responded to any of the messages.

He hasn't even been to the forums for approximately 5 weeks.

I'd assume he's long gone, but enjoyed his moment of recognition and fame.

Personally, I find it interesting that only a few days back we had a discussion about someone who had turned in a lost phone to the police, and after several months of it being unclaimed, the police transferred ownership to him.

Having an unusable phone, his only option was to attempt to locate the original owner for assistance to unlock it. However, he was eventually successful in unlocking it himself. And, by law, he is the legal owner with legal paperwork.

So, one can look down on the finder all they want. But, after 2 years, it's very possible that the person making contact is actually now the legal owner.

littlet4lks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2017
Hello all, I'm sorry I've neglected this thread.I really appreciate all of the responses. Things happened so fast that I forgot this thread even existed since I had posted on multiple website forums asking for advice.

I just wanted to post this update so people in similar situations can use this as a reference. I am happy to say everything is resolved. So the guy would not stop contacting me and I went to the Apple store and they were able to remove my iCloud account from the phone. The guy messaged me saying thank you and promised not to contact me again. I know I may never know the truth, but to me it seems as if this was just a guy who purchased a stolen iPhone unknowingly. He is from the Dominican Republic and didn't even bother to block or conceal his identity. Plus, it was obvious he was using google translate to communicate with me.

I'm happy this all resolved and I hope this can help others!

Reactions: Sunny1990

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Hello all, I'm sorry I've neglected this thread.I really appreciate all of the responses. Things happened so fast that I forgot this thread even existed since I had posted on multiple website forums asking for advice.

I just wanted to post this update so people in similar situations can use this as a reference. I am happy to say everything is resolved. So the guy would not stop contacting me and I went to the Apple store and they were able to remove my iCloud account from the phone. The guy messaged me saying thank you and promised not to contact me again. I know I may never know the truth, but to me it seems as if this was just a guy who purchased a stolen iPhone unknowingly. He is from the Dominican Republic and didn't even bother to block or conceal his identity. Plus, it was obvious he was using google translate to communicate with me.

Sorry but you did all iPhone owner's a GREAT disservice!

Glad you are happy, we now can look forward to being blackmailed if we have our phone stolen or misplaced.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

Congratulations you gave a thief a phone. If he didn't bother to block his number you should have contacted his local police.
[doublepost=1492788287][/doublepost]
Try giving them the address of your local police station to mail it to, or if your post office will let people send hints there for general delivery try that. Then if they are honest you get the phone back, and if not you didn't give too much information away.

littlet4lks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2017
Well, my local law enforcement was of no help and this was the solution that the Apple store support staff gave to me when I went to the store and told them the story. At the end of the day, what is important to me is that I know I am safe. This wasn't exactly a black and white situation.

Reactions: Sunny1990
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.