Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
BeachAbstract.jpg

50mm, f/1.8, 1/3200, ISO 125

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
For some reason the right one has a very HDR look to it, although I think it's probably just the effect of the sun shining on the land and everything else being in the dark.
Awesome shot, one of those moments of being in the right place at the right time :)

Good spotting, gnd. They are actually both HDRs. :)

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
3113004493_a26046d1d5_b.jpg

Canon EOS 1000D | Shutter: 1/100 | Aperture: f/6.3 | ISO : 200

Well this shot was taken around evening at 4.30pm, it was a sunny day and the wind blowing is kinda cold, surprisingly there is some moisture on the flower petals and I guess its the lighting and some moisture that made me take this shot.

Some CnC would be nice. I tried photosig, the image size required to upload is too small.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

Well, it's not the best flower shot I've seen, and it's not the worst. But something strange happened when it appeared: I could actually smell it! :eek:

Silly, I thought... so I tried it again. And there was that sweet (almost sickly) scent again. Strange...

Too many places in the Lake District are in private hands (a 'national park' in UK isn't like a national park in USA). Worse, landowners try to keep people away from some of the most iconic landscapes... for no better reason, it seems, than they can...

So I'm starting to do some 'ethical trespassing', and shoot pictures to highlight the problem...

'No access' to Crummock Water here, unless you climb over the gate. Walkers of the world, unite!

noaccess1ze3.jpg

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
Well I've been back to Dubai for about 2 days and so far snapped a few pics of the Burj Al Arab. The internet has been so slow at my house so I only uploaded 1 picture and Flickr is blocked in my area (dont ask, UAE laws sometimes are silly) so I am a little stuck and limited with choices.

Anyway bulk of my posting of pictures from the trip will be done when I get back, but here is one from today:

burjex6.jpg

I'm a Mac

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
here's an interesting shot - I'm really only a beginning photographer, but as a macro shot with a kit lens it came out pretty good but feel free to criticize (or complement) note: this a crop of the original (the file size was too big so while i was playing with it I discovered that cropping the photo actually made it look better.
attachment.php

Nikon D60
18-55 VR
Built in Flash
ISO 100

Attachments

• quarter crop.jpg
    quarter crop.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 101

mi.mac.rules

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2008
here's an interesting shot - I'm really only a beginning photographer, but as a macro shot with a kit lens it came out pretty good but feel free to criticize (or complement) note: this a crop of the original (the file size was too big so while i was playing with it I discovered that cropping the photo actually made it look better.

Nikon D60
18-55 VR
Built in Flash
ISO 100

The exposure is great and the subject has potential, but I feel like that's all there is here. The flash illuminates the center quarter, and the left on is extremely clear, but the right one is completely out of focus and there is no background; no substance. Just as a criticism for a new photographer, but this seems a bit boring and one-sided (the quarters are standing on edge). Get your audience to feel. To think. To imagine. First, I think, you have to do those things and then your audience can. Sorry if that seems harsh, on meant as helpful criticism :D

I'm a Mac

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
quarter crop 2.jpg Okay thanks for the constructive criticism and it happened to be a coincidence photo I saw a quarter standing on edge and I said oh this would make a cool photo. Let me post a different crop based on what you said. (it's mostly the original, just cropped a tad to make the file size smaller and the picture a little nicer)

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I think this is my favorite portrait I have done so far. It turned out nearly exactly how I planned it. :)

This is my uncle, my mother's brother.

Model: Canon EOS 5D
Shutter Speed: 1/125 second
F Number: F/14.0
Focal Length: 168 mm
ISO Speed: 100

ABR Ringflash high and center, just in front of subject, suspended on a boom arm. B1600 with 10° grid aimed at white seamless for halo effect behind subject.

http://seenew.deviantart.com/art/Portrait-of-David-Hudson-106479091
http://flickr.com/photos/chrisnew/3113070712/

Please click to see the image in full detail!
3113070712_7b1e41a21a_o.jpg

timmyb

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
United Kingdom
How does everyone get their pictures to appear full (or almost full) size without clicking them?
Uploading the image to Flickr and then linking from there is the option I use.

I'm going to have a go at a bit of commentary...

I really like the gradation of white in the sky and how it can fill so much of the photo without it becoming boring. What's the EXIF for this? (I can't get it from my viewer.)

Fantastic as always - particularly the warmth of the colours in the sun on the far side.

I think it would be good to have either grass all across the back, or better crop it to just the flower; the two corners of grass draw my eye away from the centre. Also there's some odd sort of fuzz going on in the centre right of the flower.

Great reflections. I think it could do with a crop to reduce the amount of sky in the photo though.

Now here's one of mine - a frosty morning in the garden.

3099472515_235fc20a2b_b.jpg

D40, 55m, 0.013s, f/8, ISO 200

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Too many places in the Lake District are in private hands (a 'national park' in UK isn't like a national park in USA). Worse, landowners try to keep people away from some of the most iconic landscapes... for no better reason, it seems, than they can...

So I'm starting to do some 'ethical trespassing', and shoot pictures to highlight the problem...

'No access' to Crummock Water here, unless you climb over the gate. Walkers of the world, unite!

This is something that also shocked me when I visited the Lake District a few years ago. To think that people can own land and water access in a national park is ridiculous.

In New Zealand, water access is available to everyone. There's a thing called the 'Queen's Chain', which gives everyone the legal right to use the 20 metres of shore from the water, along any lake and seashore in the country. Also, no-one is allowed to live or build in a national park. I guess it's something to be grateful for. I'm sure Peter Rabbit would appreciate it.

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
I had to take some pictures for a class today and after failing to get a decent shot of a red poinsettia leaf, I went for a green one. I used a light to illuminate the back and wow.

Only post processing was the removal of objects to the right of the leaf and reduce clipping. Colours were not touched.

Feel free to C&C.
Leaf.jpg

DYER

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
wow there are some amazing images here... heck i fell way outa my depth and hell im supposed to be doing this for a living (i am a wedding photographer) great images... i might just go out tomrow and see what i can find considering i have nothing much to do for once :cool:

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007

That sucks, ain't there any law authority to solve this?

And thanks for the comment guys about the flower, I will keep on improving, yeah there is some sort of fuzz on the center right of the flower, I guess it has something to do with the lighting?

Mac-Jack

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2007
Larger View

Bronica ETR-SI
f/2.8 1 sec
75mm Zenzanon
400 T-max BW Film
Ilford Pearl Multigrade Resin Paper scan

Attachments

• birdcagebwys9.jpg
    birdcagebwys9.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 85

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Bit of snow (~4in) on the ground. Snapped this in a bit of a hurry, tomorrow I'm going to scope out a good shooting location.

Attachments

• IMG_0005-121808sm.jpg
    IMG_0005-121808sm.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 557

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Interesting shot AlexH, this reminds me of miniatures :), hmm...I guess my next shot should be about tilt shift :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.