Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
so far my trip to dubai has not been as picture worthy as i would have liked, but my friends have been trying to get me to take more photos of people. i love the architecture here, but havent taken out the tripod yet. still have 2 weeks left so still some time to explore.

this photo was taken outside a friends place, no tripod, so i rested the camera in between a branch of a tree and tried my best to get it as clear as possible. i was pretty pleased with the way it turned out and perspective.

meadowsstreetmm0.jpg

i have been playing around with the settings and trying to improve everyday. i think taking my tripod out and taking more day shots will make me gain confidence in my pictures and i can progress with night shots down the road.
i will post more pictures and update my flickr once i return home because flickr is blocked in my area of dubai.

//end rant. sorry for rambling! thanks for any C&C!

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
I already posted this in the winter thread, but I thought I might as well put it here. :)

IMG32317_resized.jpg

Canon Rebel XT
ISO 200
1/50
f/5.6

P.S.:ipodtoucher, great capture! Works really well in that color scheme.

sjobs@mac.com

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2007
Cheebra

DSC_0050.jpg

Playing around with my D40 and the 50mm f1.8 lens. My Grandma gave this chair to my daughter. It stares at me sometimes.

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
Wow that photo is great!
At first i thought it was a crazy Indian trying to battle through flames in some sort of photograph/photoshop frenzy!

Haha thanks a bunch, it was just one of those moments that you can't set up... we were burnung some brush and I was taking pictures and my step-brother decided to throw in this dust jacket.

The only post was in iPhoto, so nothing extreme. :)

timmyb

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
United Kingdom
In most landscape shots, think about planes: close-up, middle-distance, horizon.

Sharpness? Well, 1/50 sec seems low. 1/125 or faster would be better... and a tripod would be best of all (especially in low light)...
So for a landscape with not much in the foreground is it better so go with a quick shutter speed or a small aperture to achieve the sharpest image?

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
So for a landscape with not much in the foreground is it better so go with a quick shutter speed or a small aperture to achieve the sharpest image?

For the picture you posted, maybe there could have been more in the foreground...

Most lenses are sharpest around f8 and f11, in the sense that they offer a good depth of focus.

You don't need a fast shutter speed (unless the landscape is moving quickly ;)), only fast enough to avoid camera shake. If you use a tripod you have a greater freedom: ie a smaller aperture (= bigger number) for even greater depth of focus, and longer shutter speeds (extending into whole seconds as the light fades).

A really intriguing shot that makes you look twice, then keep looking... much as you would into a real fire (and good to see that book-burning didn't die out with the ending of the Third Reich)...

HF2008

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2008
Thanks for the advice Doylem, will try and practise them during christmas.

dsc0029mn7.jpg

Nikon D40
Exposure: 1/400
Aperture: f/2,8
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 800

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Compression seems to have slightly botched the curved lines on this one. Minor cloning done to get rid of a stray streak of light.

IMG32437_clone_resized2.jpg

Canon Rebel XT
ISO 100
30 sec. exposure
f/5.6

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Great shot ipodtoucher, although I like the first one more. The second photo is a little busier than I would've liked, but the title and composition still make for a great picture.

Savagestorm

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
Complete and utter novice here. Bought my DSLR 2 days ago, and I'm currently attempting to absorb as much knowledge as possible. I brought my camera to a snooker game to play with exposure, and although the image below isn't the greatest example of that, it was probably the best overall image I got. All comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated, just bear in mind, the images where taken in order to learn, so the content isn't as inspirational as some in this thread.

DSC001881.jpg

Thanks

Edit: Re-hosted Image.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
The Palace. Old Town, Dubai.

thepalacemz4.jpg

EXIF:
8"
18mm
f/10
ISO 100

Is there anyway I could improve this shot? I had a tripod, but still at 100% picture is very noisy.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
The Palace. Old Town, Dubai.

EXIF:
8"
18mm
f/10
ISO 100

Is there anyway I could improve this shot? I had a tripod, but still at 100% picture is very noisy.
You could not pixel peep... :p Is it really that bad at an 100% crop, even at ISO 100? Mind posting an example?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.