Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

da meat tree

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
3147584431_a19463893d.jpg

3148417710_5059b02fd0.jpg

bad layout on the first one, but these were taken a while ago

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
What is the EXIF? Bumping up the ISO would help. For me the problem is that there's too much going on round the edges so no attention is drawn to you & your son. Zooming with your feet would be cheaper than buying a new lens!

Think you're right, I'm perhaps blaming the equipment rather than the photographer! The EXIF was shutter 1/25 (too long for fast moving) f/5.6 at 70mm. I couldn't win either way, I seem to prefer taking people shots from afar as you get more natural settings but I don't have the right 'snipers' equipment so I'll just have to get closer.

I got a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 for Christmas, (my first venture away from the D40 kit lens,) and am loving it. Here is a shot taken today, well now yesterday! C&C appreciated.
Yep, that's the kind of thing I want!

I was reading about this problem just the other day...
Did you shoot in auto?
Yes, you are spot on! Might have to try more manual settings next time.
In this case, a longer exposure or larger aperture (smaller f number) would have let in more light, and the image would be correctly exposed. (Your current lens probably isn't to blame :))

That xscape place looks pretty interesting. Snow... Indoors!

Unfortunately the sledges were moving too fast for a slower shutter, my max aperture for that lens is f/3.5 (at 18mm) so next time I'll have to move my feet! I don't see the appeal of paying for an indoor ski slope when I live in a country full of the stuff, but it's within walking distance of my house and the work paid for it so I went. Looking forward to climbing some peaks next month.

Another one of the carousel, this was my favorite until I got home and noticed the lousy background. Noob error.
3148172775_b7fa6dae52.jpg

Shutter 0.8 (handheld but leaning on a post) ISO 100 f/3.5

NintendoChick

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
Yes, you are spot on! Might have to try more manual settings next time.
:)

Unfortunately the sledges were moving too fast for a slower shutter, my max aperture for that lens is f/3.5 (at 18mm) so next time I'll have to move my feet! I don't see the appeal of paying for an indoor ski slope when I live in a country full of the stuff, but it's within walking distance of my house and the work paid for it so I went. Looking forward to climbing some peaks next month.

Don't forget about iso! Doubling that would have helped too! And don't forget your camera when you go climbing... :p

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
:)
Don't forget about iso! Doubling that would have helped too! And don't forget your camera when you go climbing... :p

ISO - doh! Forgot about that!

My boy hasn't really got to grips with these SLRs either (taken with iPhone apologies for the two pics in one day - tree decorations now finished!)
3149529383_f8202bc98d_m.jpg
3149528549_eb946a4463_m.jpg

timmyb

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
United Kingdom
High ISO bad.

guy.jpg
I rather like the added quality the 'graininess' brings. The only negative for me is book - the combination of being very big, very black and bang centre means it dominates a bit too much. I don't think anything could be done to correct it though. Lovely shot.

I got up early this morning to go down to the coast for some sunrise shots. Unfortunately the forecast didn't come through but I still got quite a few ones I liked, this one in particular.

3150664233_9ebe4dac84_b.jpg

D40, 50mm, 0.005s, f/1.8, ISO 200

GT41

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Before the end of the year, this silly cardinal was sitting on the bird feeder during heavy wind and snow. Had a hard time focusing with 300mm lens through a window during the storm, so this is the best I got.

Attachments

• _MG_7411.jpg
    _MG_7411.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 99

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
another one from the top of the rock @ rockefeller center...

empirestate.jpg

and one more... this was the best night shot of the scenery i could get that day... it was really windy and i didn't have a tripod...

empirestate_big.jpg

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
From my recent trip to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

3152578639_f3bd7a7d20_b.jpg

The sun is coming from the right side. CnC appreciated ;)

nuwomb

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
another one from the top of the rock @ rockefeller center...

empirestate.jpg

and one more... this was the best night shot of the scenery i could get that day... it was really windy and i didn't have a tripod...

empirestate_big.jpg

These are quite interesting.
For the window picture, I wonder how that would be if HDR technique was used. still really cool though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.