Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I should have noted that you can of course use the ProBook to do rough edits, the consistency is alright between two different screens. For the finishing touches, I rely on my external screen, though.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Why do all students want laptops? I have a 15" MBP now that is primarily used for photography and I love it. The lack of real estate is not a huge deal, more would definitely be nice, but I didn't want to lug around a 17" HD (or pay the huge incremental cost on top of the 15"). For the incremental cost I can buy an external monitor. I still finalize all my images on tubes as they seem to provide much more natural color. Everything is calibrated with an Eye One 2 or a Monaco XR. For the tubes, I like the Eye One 2 better, I haven't tried the XR on the MBP.

In school I had a desktop. I don't know of a single person that had a laptop survive for their entire degree. Most were stolen, some were dropped, some just couldn't be upgraded. For school, I think a desktop is by far the better approach. Your program may require a laptop, but most don't and I advise people against it.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Why do all students want laptops? I have a 15" MBP now that is primarily used for photography and I love it. The lack of real estate is not a huge deal, more would definitely be nice, but I didn't want to lug around a 17" HD (or pay the huge incremental cost on top of the 15"). For the incremental cost I can buy an external monitor. I still finalize all my images on tubes as they seem to provide much more natural color. Everything is calibrated with an Eye One 2 or a Monaco XR. For the tubes, I like the Eye One 2 better, I haven't tried the XR on the MBP.

In school I had a desktop. I don't know of a single person that had a laptop survive for their entire degree. Most were stolen, some were dropped, some just couldn't be upgraded. For school, I think a desktop is by far the better approach. Your program may require a laptop, but most don't and I advise people against it.

I only want a laptop, because since its gonna be a big investment in either the iMac or MBP, I want to get the most use from it . I may need a Laptop for University in 1 years time, so spending well over £1,000 on destop may be no use in Uni, as I'm not staying on campus and I can't take a iMac to a class can I ?

( If there are any architect students, can you tell me if you ever need a Laptop :p )

NStocks

pshummy

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
thanks for posting on my thread lol

if you have enough money.. go Mac.

their system's architecture is a lot more streamlined than notebooks
and if you're doing architecture.. u will be wanting every last bit of memory for ur xxx layers in photoshop.. and the CPU power so that it doesnt take 30mins to save ur xxx layered psp file .. and the power for your renders or.. the memory AND power when ur trying to render + photoshop together, a day or so before your deadline lol. (it does happen)

also.. mac's tend to have a lot less rubbish accumulating (3rd party programs which just attach themselves and make your ON start time longer and leech your precious memory), whilst it is possible to clean these on laptops,, but it gets fussy sometimes.

photoediting wise it doesnt really make a difference lol

but u should also check out what programs you're likely to use. because Macs currently have compatatbility with all the archi softwares (i.e AutoCAD) but its getting better every month.. they have rhino on mac too now!!!

pshummy

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
on the issue on LAPTOP or DESKTOP...

it comes down to.. are you an organised person.. or would you like to be?

because if u have a laptop.. u have the ability to work whenever whereever...
so you'll be working both at home n at uni probably

but if u choose a desktop.. u will have to structure ur time properly so u will work fixed hours on it.. n then go home to sleep.. (unless u sleep in the studios.. which i seriously dont recommend for your mental health's sake i.e people tend to go mad if they work + sleep in the studio) this will also cost u less .. unless u get a second crappy laptop to watch youtube at home lol

neither one is better or worse... it really depends on how u like to work!!

likeavaliant

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2006
i really didn't get what those two previous posts meant.

as far as me? i use a MBP, and it's mostly hooked up to my 24" Dell Ultrasharp. it's an awesome set up. i'd rather have a mac pro, but definitely prefer this over an iMac due to the portability.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Well there's no question about it, I will definetley be going Mac. I am a very organised person, I just wondered if a Laptop is a nessecity in University or if it's even needed at all.

I will still hold out until after Oct 14th, just to see what the Laptops have to offer, other wise it will be the base 24" iMac with upgraded graphics

... that being said I now have the dilema of purchasing my very first car aswell :rolleyes:

thanks for your'e help.

NStocks

P.S are you studying in the U.K ?

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Well there's no question about it, I will definetley be going Mac. I am a very organised person, I just wondered if a Laptop is a nessecity in University or if it's even needed at all.
Definitely yes: most students these days have a laptop, it's not a luxury item anymore, it's a necessity. As far as size and portability is concerned, the MacBook has an edge over the ProBook even. (This is coming from a guy with a ProBook.) You are trading some speed for portability, but that more than makes up for it.

agore

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
I'm getting a Mac in the next few weeks ( I think ) and this will be my first ever Mac. Now I was set on the idea of the iMac because of it's gorgeous huge screen, but then I realised that when I go to University ( 1 year from now, to study architecture ), I may need a laptop for then,but I can't be certain. Notebook owners, how do you feel with the size of the screens, are they too limiting, and iMac users are the screens overall better than Notebooks.
NStocks

I use a Santa Rosa MBP. It handles photoshop CS3 very well.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
I think a Dell PC with Windows Vista Home would be a great choice for serious professionals.

I'm using Vista Ultimate right now on a High spec custom built Pc, and I can't wait to make the change... Vista is boring and dosn't work that well for me.

NStocks

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I'm using Vista Ultimate right now on a High spec custom built Pc, and I can't wait to make the change... Vista is boring and dosn't work that well for me.

NStocks

Wait… you're getting Vista, but Vista is boring and doesn't work?

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Wait… you're getting Vista, but Vista is boring and doesn't work?

No, I have a custom built Pc running Vista. I can't wait to make the change to Mac, Hopefully before Nov, when the back-to-school offer ends in the UK.

... Very excited about what tomorrow will brings ( hopefully price drops :) )

NStocks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.