Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
It's still listed on Nikon USA's site, as well as the international Nikon Imaging site- unlike say the 35-70 AF-D, and B&H has it listed as "In Stock-" are you sure it's out of production?

Nope, but is it usual for Nikon to offer to competing lenses? Wouldn't the 70-200 sales be cut down by the 80-200?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Nope, but is it usual for Nikon to offer to competing lenses? Wouldn't the 70-200 sales be cut down by the 80-200?

There's a significant price difference between the two, but it is actually very likely there's just a bunch of them still warehoused from an earlier production run. Nikon's consumer DX zoom space is overrun with competing lenses, so I'm not sure I'd want to hedge a bet on anything.

rosesposes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
I considered a sigma or tamron in the 70-200 but reviews say it is slow focusing and with gokart races I think I would need fast focusing. I checked out the nikon 80-200, cheaper than the 70-200, what are the drawbacks? They say as long as I have a good lens I can get a lower end camera, what would be the lowest of the lower ends to buy? Thanks....

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
I considered a sigma or tamron in the 70-200 but reviews say it is slow focusing and with gokart races I think I would need fast focusing. I checked out the nikon 80-200, cheaper than the 70-200, what are the drawbacks? They say as long as I have a good lens I can get a lower end camera, what would be the lowest of the lower ends to buy? Thanks....

I have the Sigma 70-200 f2.8, and it's been great for me. Focusing speed is fine, I've had no complaints.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
If your shots are like the one above, focusing speed isn't that important, your working distance is pretty long, so you will have some depth of field and you will be primarily shooting one corner. Just set the focus at the beginning of the night and shoot away.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
If your shots are like the one above, focusing speed isn't that important, your working distance is pretty long, so you will have some depth of field and you will be primarily shooting one corner. Just set the focus at the beginning of the night and shoot away.

That's what I did in the manual focus days when shooting auto racing. I would set up at a picturesque corner, stop the lens down to get enough depth of field to reduce the need for perfect focus, prefocus, then shoot away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.