Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSVD

macrumors 6502a
Hey thanks, am I new to photography well yes and no. I got my GF1 a few months back so that is my first serious digital camera (so something of good image quality), I only in the last couple weeks thought of trying to photograph plants as I too sometimes find them boring but I thought it as a challenge.

I've always had an interest in photography and maybe 5 years ago during school in activities week I did photography and used my parents SLR and got to actually develop the film I took. It was a lot of fun. After that and with camera phones being popular I've alway taken photos but alway tried to think of actual composition and make it interesting, even though the quality might be poor. I then received a canon EOS SLR which I practiced with.

If you look back at some of my deviantart uploads (link in sig) and go to the early ones it'll say what was used to capture the image I aways tried to get worth while shots in terms of subject and composition regardless of image quality.

This made me really think about what I want to do and so I got my GF1 and have tried to make it a real hobby with the hope one day I could make money with my images (or even just please people which is more important). I know I have a long was to go but in the last year I have really looked at rules and learned techniques to practice. I am very technical minded and so learning the function of how cameras work and how to use aperture, shutter speed etc has been fairly easy, though this forum helps when I'm stuck getting my head round things :). But hopefully you can see a steady progression in my images of me getting better. I'm studying Psychology at Uni but maybe through summer I could do a summer course as more peoples perspectives really help.
Hey man, sorry, im nit a bit of a hurry so cant reply to that properly - but awesome, thats fanatstic! before i had my camera i always used to use crappy ones too, praticing with a bad camera for plain composition is always good, but i think your images, composition and ideas for photos are great. You seem to have 'that eye' for photos which is a great skill to have.

Good Luck man, everyone gets better :) I've have my 1000d (rebel xs) for one year now, getting a 550d (t2i) exactly one year later (my birthday) and i havent got alot better - mainly down to lack of time to shoot. I've got alot better with the theory of photography but practice makes perfect. Just keep taking photos and keep posting them here - especially in the photo of the day thread :)

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Good Luck man, everyone gets better :) I've have my 1000d (rebel xs) for one year now, getting a 550d (t2i) exactly one year later (my birthday) and i havent got alot better - mainly down to lack of time to shoot.

What's the 550D for?

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
what do you mean?

I've sold my 1000d to help towards the 550d. I want the 550d as its a better camera, performs netter in low light, but most of all the video feature - i want to use it for videography also as thats another hobby i've picked up.

Sorry, my question wasn't very kind. That was what I was asking really, I was just wondering why you needed to get a new camera so soon, when the 1000D is really pretty good. Video is a good reason. I hope you enjoy it.

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Hey man, sorry, im nit a bit of a hurry so cant reply to that properly - but awesome, thats fanatstic! before i had my camera i always used to use crappy ones too, praticing with a bad camera for plain composition is always good, but i think your images, composition and ideas for photos are great. You seem to have 'that eye' for photos which is a great skill to have.

Good Luck man, everyone gets better :) I've have my 1000d (rebel xs) for one year now, getting a 550d (t2i) exactly one year later (my birthday) and i havent got alot better - mainly down to lack of time to shoot. I've got alot better with the theory of photography but practice makes perfect. Just keep taking photos and keep posting them here - especially in the photo of the day thread :)

Thanks, yeah I should do photo of the day but I haven't yet, though now the weather is getting better I could start :).

TheSVD

macrumors 6502a
Sorry, my question wasn't very kind. That was what I was asking really, I was just wondering why you needed to get a new camera so soon, when the 1000D is really pretty good. Video is a good reason. I hope you enjoy it.

haha ahh right :)
nah don't worry about it man, i know you must've been thinking why some noob needs a new camera already :p i know how it sounds, but that camera really does hold me back sometimes, and i do know my stuff when it comes to photography. I know i can keep the 550d till i need to go full frame (which will be in a loooong time) or really need something better, but its perfect for me - its general performance, and im getting it for the video also pretty much! Cause I want to be a videographer as well as photographer. Thanks man, i will! Only gotta wait 2 days ;)

OP said:
Thanks, yeah I should do photo of the day but I haven't yet, though now the weather is getting better I could start :).
Yeah you should man, its a great way to get some critique/praise :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.