Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I'm taking a photography class in the fall. And the class requires me to have a "Manual SLR camera (not digital)". Although this a digital forum I hope you guys can still give me advice. bhphotos has some reasonably price 35mm film cameras however I am not sure whether "Manual SLR" means just film or one without autofocus or something like that. "Manual SLR camera" means just a slr film camera, am I right?

You know, if it doesn't say 35mm, you may want to look at a Mamiya 645, you'd probably have to stock up on film and *might* have to get your own reels if they don't have adjustable ones, but the image quality of mediu format rocks. These days you can get a good Mamiya system cheap and you'll have much larger negatives to deal with- just check their enlargers can handle them...

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Prod...e&ID=&BC=MS&BCC=5&CC=&CCC=&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=&KW=

That's $206 for an M645 body, focusing prism, 80mm f/2.8 (~50mm 35mm equiv) and 120 insert. All I'd add to that is a 220 insert so you could shoot longer film.

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
I also think you'd be better off getting a used camera. You'll get a better camera for probably less money and those old manual focus cameras can last for decades.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.