Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Well, I do motorsports so I agree with it being more luck than anything. For a race event (where I get 2000-4000 shots) I would say less than 5% of my pictures are salvageable and I really like less than 1-2% of them. Having good gear is nice, but it means nothing if you don't have the artistry, luck, and technique.

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
I'd say gear can mean quite a lot -- certainly more than 1% if it helps you create what you want. But gear does matter less that 1% if you are not good.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
It depends so much on the type of photography that you can't really quantify it in general...

Nature photography, street photography and sports photography have a fairly good-sized luck component, and a large experience/skill component too. Portrait photography has a lot less luck, and a lot more skill and lighting equipment. Wedding photography is a lot skill and a little luck (or absence of bad luck perhaps.) Product photography is almost pure skill, with some equipment...

Skill substitutes for equipment in many cases, equipment substitutes for skill in fewer cases, but probably more strongly in the cases where it does.

Well, I do motorsports so I agree with it being more luck than anything. For a race event (where I get 2000-4000 shots) I would say less than 5% of my pictures are salvageable and I really like less than 1-2% of them. Having good gear is nice, but it means nothing if you don't have the artistry, luck, and technique.
(This isn't meant to be personal, it just reminds me of something...)

I've always said you can tell a good photographer by the pictures they *don't* take.

I think it may be more indicative of the LF or MF stuff where you have to slow down and pay attention, but I find that if I'm in serious mode, I take a lot fewer shots because I know when I've got it- where I'll go to spray and pray in situations where I'm further from my comfort zone.

My number of salable images tend to be about the same either way, but the percentages change a lot.

bobt

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2006
Bozeman, Montana
It's the indian, not the arrow

That being said, the photographer makes his or her "luck". Putting one in situations with good light and such is the name of the game.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Photography is.......

A terribly expensive and time consuming addiction!

Seriously though, it's about 40% skill (knowledge), 40% a good eye for composition, with about 8% luck and the other 2% can be argued over :D

SLC

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
It's not a static proportion. The better the photographer, the more gear makes a difference.

The inverse also holds true - the less proficient the photographer, the less gear makes a difference.

In all cases, hard work (and time) make a huge difference.

Jan 30, 2006
Good eye and dedication are the most important ingredients. But having good equipment is also important in some cases.

For instance, many photos seen at the Photo of the Day thread would have been impossible without a SLR camera.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
(This isn't meant to be personal, it just reminds me of something...)

I've always said you can tell a good photographer by the pictures they *don't* take.

I think it may be more indicative of the LF or MF stuff where you have to slow down and pay attention, but I find that if I'm in serious mode, I take a lot fewer shots because I know when I've got it- where I'll go to spray and pray in situations where I'm further from my comfort zone.

My number of salable images tend to be about the same either way, but the percentages change a lot.
For motorsports, 1000 pictures a day really isn't that much if you are shooting the entire day. With a car moving at 140MPH or more, you have to pan it for 10 shots or so. That adds up quickly. I don't see the pros taking less than I do.

I don't see how it matters that I take more shots. It's the result that counts.
http://racetripper.com/petit07/
http://racetripper.com/sebring08/

theblueone

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
My photography teacher made a joke about photojournalism once:
90% showing up
8% f:8
2% skill and everything else

Of course it wasn't meant to be disparaging to photojournalism. It was just to show how important unexpected shots tend to be to any given photojournalist's body of work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.