Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Azimuth

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2008
Photography is...

...My Passion!

....always made better with the right lense, lighting, shutter speed, aperture, and subject.

...an art form that I hope never passes away.

...glorious with my Nikon D70.

...what I'm sure we could talk about all day!:rolleyes:

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
For a photojournalist, photography can be reduced to the mantra: 'f8 and BE THERE'...

For me, it's about light and experience. Every pic takes 1/250sec... and 25 years. ;)

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I don't quite get the 'f8' part about photojournalism..

Anyone care to explain? ;)
I'm guessing that's for the minimum DOF you need. You don't want to shoot wide open for journalism?

I generally end up shooting motorsports at least f/8 (because I shoot shutter priority and end up at f/8 - f/11 or higher).

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Pro's get lucky...

I once read a quote from one of the great street photographers - Henri Cartier-Bresson perhaps - who was being challenged by a non-photographer. The non-photographer was adamant that "being lucky", that is, being in the right place at the right time was all that was needed. The photographer agreed - that you had to be in the right place at the right time - and added that it was amazing how often the good/professional photographers got lucky.

Sorry to be so vague with the quote (perhaps someone can attribute it?) ... I'm not at home and can't check my books for the quote.

The original question can be/should be reworded though. I think there needs to a distinction between Good Photography, and Not Good Photography. And of course this is a spectrum of possibilities from one to the other.

Good Photography is at least 90% passion and dedication. I can show you 'knock your socks off' photographs made with a homemade pinhole camera, or a 30 year old Polaroid camera with a plastic lense.

Not Good Photography (and I would classify a lot of professional photography here, its not necessarily "snap shots") is about efficiency. Its about getting as many competent shots for the least amount of time and money. In this case its about equipment. Think about department store portrait studios. I don't think there is a lot of passion there.

One of things I am most thankful for is that I run a photo gallery on the Canadian West Coast, in a community full of very good and very dedicated photographers. Photographers who are very generous with their time, help and insights. I get to look at, discuss, and help create some amazing images. For me, Photography is... my life.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
I once read a quote from one of the great street photographers - Henri Cartier-Bresson perhaps - who was being challenged by a non-photographer. The non-photographer was adamant that "being lucky", that is, being in the right place at the right time was all that was needed. The photographer agreed - that you had to be in the right place at the right time - and added that it was amazing how often the good/professional photographers got lucky.

Sorry to be so vague with the quote (perhaps someone can attribute it?) ... I'm not at home and can't check my books for the quote.

The original question can be/should be reworded though. I think there needs to a distinction between Good Photography, and Not Good Photography. And of course this is a spectrum of possibilities from one to the other.

Good Photography is at least 90% passion and dedication. I can show you 'knock your socks off' photographs made with a homemade pinhole camera, or a 30 year old Polaroid camera with a plastic lense.

Not Good Photography (and I would classify a lot of professional photography here, its not necessarily "snap shots") is about efficiency. Its about getting as many competent shots for the least amount of time and money. In this case its about equipment. Think about department store portrait studios. I don't think there is a lot of passion there.

One of things I am most thankful for is that I run a photo gallery on the Canadian West Coast, in a community full of very good and very dedicated photographers. Photographers who are very generous with their time, help and insights. I get to look at, discuss, and help create some amazing images. For me, Photography is... my life.

That's a really good quote..

And may I ask where on the west coast is the gallery you run?

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Yes, a pity about those canucks.. :rolleyes:

Salt Spring Island is a very beautiful place, and I often enjoy trips out to that region..

Who knows, maybe one day I will wander through your gallery doors :)

Zeiss

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2006
Australia
gear is crucial - otherwise you could take any image with any camera, which you definitely cannot. Want to make a 2 meter gallery print of a construction site - try doing that with a 400D. want to shoot racing cars, not going to happen with a view camera. So a good photographer has to understand advantages and limitations of equipment, and choose based on that, even down to the right lens. The art and craft and creativity of photography relies on equipment, it is after all a technology based medium - so 70% gear, 30% skill and creativity [although i have not broken that down to factor in the importance of understanding the equipment].

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
gear is crucial - otherwise you could take any image with any camera, which you definitely cannot. Want to make a 2 meter gallery print of a construction site - try doing that with a 400D. want to shoot racing cars, not going to happen with a view camera. So a good photographer has to understand advantages and limitations of equipment, and choose based on that, even down to the right lens. The art and craft and creativity of photography relies on equipment, it is after all a technology based medium - so 70% gear, 30% skill and creativity [although i have not broken that down to factor in the importance of understanding the equipment].

Anyone who wants to learn to take good photos should buy the best equipment they can afford at the time. Then they should forget about equipment, and concentrate instead on seeing. I can always recognise a photographer who is putting limits on his own creativity, 'cos his conversation will be about whether he should buy a new 'piece of glass', or not... whether he should go for the kit lens or splash out on the 2.8... whether this is a good time to buy a Cartax 100 DSLR, or maybe wait a few months and wait for possible upgrades in the forthcoming 100b model. The snappers taking good pictures will, in the meantime, be busing taking pictures and learning their craft.

Equipment matters... of course it does. But obsessing about equipment is, IMO, a creative cul-de-sac.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
Equipment matters... of course it does. But obsessing about equipment is, IMO, a creative cul-de-sac.

See, I'm ambivalent about that. I was shooting a dance show in very poor light last Sunday, using both my D300 and D80. I had planned to leave my 24-70 f/2.8 on my D80 while using the 70-200 f/2.8 on my D300, but by the end I simply found myself rotating the lenses on my D300 because, at ISO>800, the noise difference between the two bodies is ridiculously apparent.

Honestly, I feel great about my equipment right now and don't see myself desperately needing anything that costs more than 100 bucks for a while. But saying that equipment matters 1% is the teeniest bit egotistical. When you're shooting people dancing/singing/movingwithspeed inside without flash, having a good camera body becomes important.

Speaking of photojournalism being about "being there" (which of course is a huge portion of it), the 2008 Pulizer for Breaking News Photography's Winning Picture was shot on a $2700 camera body (5D) at a relatively high ISO for broad daylight (800), and, as the photo is cropped, I'm sure it would be a bit weaker if it were full of noise.

That said, I'll buck the trend and say

11% gear, 49% skill, 40% cojones.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Yes, a pity about those canucks.. :rolleyes:

Salt Spring Island is a very beautiful place, and I often enjoy trips out to that region..

Who knows, maybe one day I will wander through your gallery doors :)

Yes, Salt Spring is quite nice. We started off by visiting (from Vancouver) - then visiting more often - then before we knew it I forgot to go back to Vancouver.

I don't know if I'm allowed to promote the Gallery in the forum - but Google Galleons Lap and Salt Spring - hint hint. If you are on the island, call or email first as I'm keeping "Salt Spring Hours", which basically means I open when I'm expecting visitors, or when I feel like it. There are some photo shows coming up at ArtSpring (the community arts centre). One show in June ,and the other in August - if you want details let me know, but its a great excuse to visit the island - there are some internationally known photographers who will be showing. I always have photos on the walls of my Gallery.

This is an interesting thread. I think there needs to be distinction made between "Art" photography, and "Commercial" photography. The first is photography one creates, then hopes a client will buy it. The second is photography that the client wants, that they hope you can create. And of course, there can be a lot overlap. Hmmm.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
See, I'm ambivalent about that. I was shooting a dance show in very poor light last Sunday, using both my D300 and D80. I had planned to leave my 24-70 f/2.8 on my D80 while using the 70-200 f/2.8 on my D300, but by the end I simply found myself rotating the lenses on my D300 because, at ISO>800, the noise difference between the two bodies is ridiculously apparent.

Honestly, I feel great about my equipment right now and don't see myself desperately needing anything that costs more than 100 bucks for a while. But saying that equipment matters 1% is the teeniest bit egotistical. When you're shooting people dancing/singing/movingwithspeed inside without flash, having a good camera body becomes important.

Need for equipment, fine. Again, you buy what you can afford. But a lot of 'photographers' are, essentially, camera collectors... whose passion for the very latest gear keeps them buying. But they tend not to use all that expensive gear to take good pix.

The good aspect is that I can buy their surplus gear on eBay - second-hand yet barely used. ;)

The luck/skill equation does depend on what you're photographing. With sports, or groups of people, etc, you may need to shoot 100 pix just to get one keeper. But if a landscape is lit right, you may get it in one...

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
My photography teacher made a joke about photojournalism once:
90% showing up
8% f:8
2% skill and everything else

Of course it wasn't meant to be disparaging to photojournalism. It was just to show how important unexpected shots tend to be to any given photojournalist's body of work.

Amen to that. My professor spent a good portion of our semester showing us all the images of failed shots because the shooter was standing in the wrong place at the wrong time. Like the one posted below. Look how many photogs missed the shot simply by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The good aspect is that I can buy their surplus gear on eBay - second-hand yet barely used. ;)

AMEN!! Got a slightly used D2xs and 17-35 f2.8 for around $1500. Can't bet that any day.

Attachments

• aliknockoutre9.jpg
    aliknockoutre9.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 49

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Yes, Salt Spring is quite nice. We started off by visiting (from Vancouver) - then visiting more often - then before we knew it I forgot to go back to Vancouver.

I don't know if I'm allowed to promote the Gallery in the forum - but Google Galleons Lap and Salt Spring - hint hint. If you are on the island, call or email first as I'm keeping "Salt Spring Hours", which basically means I open when I'm expecting visitors, or when I feel like it. There are some photo shows coming up at ArtSpring (the community arts centre). One show in June ,and the other in August - if you want details let me know, but its a great excuse to visit the island - there are some internationally known photographers who will be showing. I always have photos on the walls of my Gallery.

This is an interesting thread. I think there needs to be distinction made between "Art" photography, and "Commercial" photography. The first is photography one creates, then hopes a client will buy it. The second is photography that the client wants, that they hope you can create. And of course, there can be a lot overlap. Hmmm.

Hehe, I wish I could keep those kind of hours where I work.. It does sound Idyllic though, having an art gallery in one of the prettiest places in the world :).

I agree about the distinction between commercial and art photography... In fact, there are so many different approaches to photography it sounds pretty hard to sum it up into one 'breakdown'.

(PS - could you pm me the details about the art shows? I know I'll be away in June but maybe I'll be able to visit the island around august..)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.