Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
I'm not exactly switching from video, but I'd like to give photography a shot (just noticed the pun). I'm looking for a camera under $1k, from the little research I've done, it appears that Canon and Nikon are the best choices.

I know lenses need to be considered as well. I have the Mac Pro and all that jazz to get it done in post, but I want a great D-SLR.

Throw me some advice...

Thanks guys

wadejc85

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
PA
Canon. Nuff said.

agreezies. I love my little xti

Definitely Canon. I love my XSI.

I've used both Nikon and Canon, but I will only buy Canon. I own the very first Elph (non-digital, APS film), the SLR EOS IX (non-digital, APS film), digital Elph S410, and the dSLR XSI. I wouldn't use anything else. :D

Go to your local photography store or major retailer (Ritz Camera, Best Buy, Circuit City) and check them out for yourself! Don't forget to ask the salesperson to give you a memory card to try them out! ;)

brendanryder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
Calgary
1000$ eh....

canon rebel XTi w/kit lens is around 600$(i think, might want to look it up)
canon 50 1.8 is 100$
and, if u can afford it a canon 70-200 F/4 is 550$ish.

but buying used photog gear can save u alot. just be smart about it.

photography is awesome, the XTi is such a "starter drug" because you will get hooked, and want more and better gear. :D

hope u find something you like.

Edit: if your buying online, make sure to check the store under resellerratings.com because theres ALOT of photography bait and switch stores online. enjoy:p

wadejc85

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
PA
Edit: if your buying online, make sure to check the store under resellerratings.com because theres ALOT of photography bait and switch stores online. enjoy:p

Don't buy the camera online. Period. Too many horror stories, too little time.

Call around and visit stores. You'll find that many people in the business are friendly and willing to help. Plus, some local businesses do offer used equipment if you're looking for a cheaper camera.

Trajectory

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2005
Earth

Definitely don't buy it through Dell, as I did. What a mess! They somehow felt justified in charging my credit card $120 more than the price I was given on their website and which I purchased online. It took me 3 weeks to get that one fixed.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX

KEH is good for used stuff.

B&H Photo Video is good for new stuff, as is RitzCamera and Adorama.

Beware of any others, as suggested check reseller ratings.

Oh, and btw, my Nikon works great. Right now Nikon is slightly ahead of Canon, but given a few months Canon will release new camera's to leap frog Nikon. And so progress moves on…

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC

Call around and visit stores. You'll find that many people in the business are friendly and willing to help. Plus, some local businesses do offer used equipment if you're looking for a cheaper camera.

Amen to that, go to your nearest camera store and hold them in your hands.
Since when you have to carry something like a DSLR around you (and I carry mine EVERYWHERE I go haha) you want it to feel good or else you'll end up leaving it at the house, which is something you should avoid.
Regarding build quality and ergonomics, it all depends on your hands/preference/etc but to me, I thought the Nikon D80 had a better feel for me compared to the Canon 400D ("Rebel" uggh).

Not to mention the other camera brands out there, Pentax/Sony/Olympus/etc. But if you're going into a brand, really check out their lens selection.

Here are some links to help you out...
http://dpreview.com/
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/
http://www.popphoto.com/
http://cameralabs.com/
http://photography-on-the.net/ (Canon Forum)
http://www.nikonians.org/index.php (Nikon Forum + Website Reviews/etc)

If you do end up buying a camera, definitely check out Flickr and DeviantART, although I'm still trying to get the hang of Flickr since I hate my Yahoo account with passion haha.Good luck and do some searching next time xP

P.S. With Nikon being ahead of Canon, currently, that would be the D3 that blows the MKIII out of the water hehe... But that camera costs about couple thousand for the body only, I don't think who's ahead really matters since the OP is going to be buying a two year old camera anyways haha. However, the Canon offers the 17-85mm IS (with a constant aperture) which I hear is amazing, yet so is the 18-200mm VR by Nikon. Like I said, lens selection.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Oh, and btw, my Nikon works great. Right now Nikon is slightly ahead of Canon, but given a few months Canon will release new camera's to leap frog Nikon. And so progress moves on…

Exact reason why I'm so jealous of my exboyfriend's Nikon. It is a little on the big side, but he always liked big stuff. ;)

brendanryder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
Calgary
KEH is good for used stuff.

B&H Photo Video is good for new stuff, as is RitzCamera and Adorama.

Beware of any others, as suggested check reseller ratings.

ya, those are great sites to buy from, you can also buy from amazon.
but buying online can be alot cheaper than locally.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
^^^Potential insult there, but......no comment. ;)

- Buying online is fine.

- Nikons are great, but also take a look at Pentax or Sony.

- Canon's XSi may be very good, but that's because it's somewhat different from the XTi and XT of the past. ;)

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC
LOL i didn't word that good. lol

Being that I'm a noob, I mean how the hell can I really determine which camera is the best? It's like Coke VS Pepsi, what's the difference?

Which ever feels better in your hand, of course. It's like, what tastes better for you? Coke or Pepsi? I know some people who hate Coke but love Pepsi, etc.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
I have been using the Canon Rebel series camera, with what I've seen of the Nikon D80, it seems like a better fit to me...I priced out a kit around $1000..

My ears are wide open to any other suggestions.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC
I have been using the Canon Rebel series camera, with what I've seen of the Nikon D80, it seems like a better fit to me...I priced out a kit around $1000..

My ears are wide open to any other suggestions.

If I read that correctly, you're saying that the Nikon D80 fits you better?

Well if you are going with any lens are you are a "noob" in photography, get yourself a nifty-fifty (basically a 50mm f/1.8). It's an amazing lens for the price.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC
Yes the D80 is at the top of my list right now.

This one looks good..

Haha yes, that is the one I'm planning on buying. At the moment, I have used my friend's 400D (good for her since she has small hands) and I currently use my dad's work camera, his Nikon D80 with a 18-135mm DX.

So we are pretty much on the same page haha.

But if you want, you should wait till Sept and see the new Nikon D90. Not that the features are too important but you should see the new model so you don't get the whole "I wish I bought that instead" feeling.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
But if you want, you should wait till Sept and see the new Nikon D90. Not that the features are too important but you should see the new model so you don't get the whole "I wish I bought that instead" feeling.

I don't plan on purchasing until September, I have to clear out some video equipment and then I'll be good to go..

What's the release date on the D90?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.