Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC
I don't plan on purchasing until September, I have to clear out some video equipment and then I'll be good to go..

What's the release date on the D90?

Well Best Buy/Engadget/etc says it's Sept. 1st or around that date.

Honestly, it's going to be a sweet ass dSLR yet the price is just... outta my budget personally, seeing that it will be $1300.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/13/nikon-d90-pops-up-in-best-buys-stock-systems-as-well/

But I'm only a 15 year old high school student haha, I'll stick within that price range of 600-800$. I'm really hoping that the release of the D90 will significantly reduce the D80's value, but I highly doubt it seeing that the D80 is still a very valuable camera.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm looking for a camera under $1k, from the little research I've done, it appears that Canon and Nikon are the best choices.

My bet is that everyone who has a Canon will tell you to buy a Canon and the Nikon users will recommend Nikon.

If you want more informed advice you will have to give us more information. It's like asking "I need some speakers, what should I buy?" If I didn't tell you about the intended use any advice would just be random noise. But you will do fine with either brand. Both have a wide selection of products.

The thing with SLRs is that when you buy that first camera system you are pretty much committed to that brand for all future purchases "forever". Switching brands is like switching spouses - expensive and unpleasant. Think about the kit of equipment you might want to own in 5 years and buy the brand that will be best in the long run. saving $100 on a SLR body now is a trivial and short sighted reason to pick a brand even if it is the way most people do it.

The way to decide is to look at the full product line of both companies. Look at the used market too. $1K is a low budget when it comes to SLRs. You are looking at just about entry level. So do check out the used market. I'd recommend a new camera body and a "kit" lens. Put someof that $1K budget aside wile you shoot a few thousand frames with the kit lens. Then when you know what you want go shopping for a used lens so you can get the shots your kits lens can't.

I'd plan it out so that after a year or so you should spend about 50% of budget on a camera body and 50% on lenses. Year later most people have far more invested in lenses than body. Most start with the $110 kit lens. You never actually "finish" buying an SLR system. You will upgrade and change out parts for the rest of your life. You will need a budget. It can be $250 or $5K per year, forever.

wadejc85

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
PA
My bet is that everyone who has a Canon will tell you to buy a Canon and the Nikon users will recommend Nikon.

If you want more informed advice you will have to give us more information.

The thing with SLRs is that when you buy that first camera system you are pretty much committed to that brand for all future purchases "forever". Switching brands is like switching spouses - expensive and unpleasant.

The way to decide is to look at the full product line of both companies.

You will upgrade and change out parts for the rest of your life. You will need a budget. It can be $250 or $5K per year, forever.

Completely agree.

I'm a Canon user, and I'll admit that I will only recommend Canon. I have a friend who is a Nikon user, and he only recommends Nikon. My girlfriend's dad swears by Sony. Ugh. :eek:

Nikon and Canon are both very, very good brands and you'll be happy with your purchase no matter the brand.

Also, you NEED to go to the store to hold it in your hands. From what you've said, it seems like you haven't actually tried the Nikon D80. No one would ever buy a car without test driving it. No one would ever buy a house without going inside. No one SHOULD ever buy a camera without testing it.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Also, you NEED to go to the store to hold it in your hands. From what you've said, it seems like you haven't actually tried the Nikon D80. No one would ever buy a car without test driving it. No one would ever buy a house without going inside. No one SHOULD ever buy a camera without testing it.

Luckily there are a lot of shops closeby that carry those cameras. I'll check it out and update you guys on that.

Trajectory

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2005
Earth

That's probably true, but, that shouldn't discount the fact that I or others did quite a bit of research (between Canon and Nikon) before making the decision to buy. In fact, I was leaning towards Nikon at first, but, then I tried the cameras and preferred the Canon over the Nikon. I liked Canon's camera interface better and the slightly smaller, lighter body of the Rebel XT.

Nikon makes good cameras, too. I just liked Canon's cameras and accessories better. I also think Canon has a lot more money to put behind R&D and making improvements to their lenses, they've always been at the forefront of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.