Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fotografica

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 7, 2006
Boston
I was looking at some used lenses online,I'm just a little hesitant about buying used.Especially sight unseen and not knowing the vendor..I will definitely keep looking..

I will also give that Tamron a look as well.It's nice knowing that you don't have to break the bank for good equipment..

Thanks for all replies..

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Well, I'm also not keen on ebay for buying used photo equipment.
I prefer going to a shop, but maybe sometime I'll get something with a good grade from some reputable online store.
Keh for example gives you 14 days to return the gear, so what you risk is the INSURED shipping cost provided the item's condition is the same as you got it.

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
I'm not a big fan of anything used either. Just buy quality.

That said, YOU DO NOT NEED LOTS OF MONEY FOR PHOTOGRAPHY

leave that attitude to the gadget-heads.

Photography can be about seeing a moment from a specific perspective inside your head and capturing it to share with the world. Although new lenses and equipment will help you do that, you must "SEE" first.

A creative and dedicated photographer with a mediocre body and lens that knows how to maintenance his camera will outshoot an idiot with $20k worth of equipment that spends so much time researching the latest lens and "deciding" which piece of equipment he "needs" for his shooting, HE'S NOT ACTUALLY SHOOTING ANYTHING!

After you've taken about 60-70k shots, you will develop a feel for what works for you and what lenses/equipment you will want to direct your money towards. Don't spend all your money on equipment when you can work less and shoot more by not spending that money.

Volunteer to do photography for people. They can't whine if you screw up because you're doing it for free. It's fun and gives you interesting subjects and new locations.

Post your work up on different sites. Let people rip into them and glean what you can, just don't take anything personally. It's just their OPINION. If you like it, don't change it. I've learned so much from people making fun of my work.

I started off doing fast, sports work. After showing off my stuff to different clients and friends, I was appalled to learn that almost EVERYONE said my portraiture portfolio was awesome and that I should focus on that. I disagreed, but started putting more effort in that direction anyway. I think they're right now.

Have fun. It's a journey. Don't let gadget geeks market to you and tell you that you need any more than a clean lens and a keen eye to enjoy and develop yourself as a photographer.

good luck to you,
Sean

oh, and if you like people pictures:
50mm/1.8 is less than $100 and is pretty good for lower light. In good light, the pics are stunning for the price of the lens IMHO

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Since when used = bad quality?

There's a lot of used stuff in great shape. One just needs to choose well.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Well, we may disagree on the definition of decent, but I'd agree some of those are "decent." The 50mm/1.4 is a great lens, but is also around $280. You can get a decent D50 body for like $325 right now. All the other lenses are decent lenses I'd agree, but I guess I was thinking of higher telephoto lenses as opposed to fixed primes.

Yeah, but a year ago the OP may have purchased new, or even used at a higher cost..

The question to the OP is, what is your current len(s) not giving you that you want to so?

If the have the kit 18-55 lens and they are happy with it, then a second choice of lens may be the 55-200VR.
The 18-250 Tamron gives you a huge 13.8x zoom range---and it's a very compact zoom, without busting the budget @~$400USD.

Read about it being tested here:

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1009/cat/23

If you don't need wide-angle, Tamron has a new 28-300 with image stabilization.

http://www.tamron.com/news/35mm/28300vc.asp

Not quite as good as the Nikon 28-200 VR, but it's smaller/lighter, costs less, and gets you more reach at the telephoto end. And it does this, which the Nikon can't:

As a one lens solution I agree with you. It is a very decent lens, along with their 18-200.

I was looking at some used lenses online,I'm just a little hesitant about buying used.Especially sight unseen and not knowing the vendor..I will definitely keep looking..

I will also give that Tamron a look as well.It's nice knowing that you don't have to break the bank for good equipment..

Thanks for all replies..

Since when used = bad quality?

There's a lot of used stuff in great shape. One just needs to choose well.

You should try to find local camera shops that carry used gear. If you are looking at online, KEH is very honest in their ratings of gear. The shop I work at also is very tough on how we rate used gear. Most decent dealers allow for a return privilege to make sure that you are happy.

If you can find the right place, nothing wrong in buying used lenses or even cameras. Lenses in particular. It is not quite like buying a used car.

At the shop I work at we get lots of used gear that has seen little use, or has been well taken care of. Occasionaly we will see the likes of the Nikkor 55-200 (VR and non-VR) come in because they were told or read that they have to have the 70-200VR 2.8 lens for the "best" quality.

That being said buying a new Nikon or Tamron lens gives you peace of mind for either for 5 to 6 years for defects in parts or manufacturing.

eastcoastmac

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007
I dont think it will take even a "couple of years" to be able to find a (decent priced) used d200. Nikon is coming out with the d300 soon so everyone is going to be dumping their d200's.

You can find good deals on used gear at the buy & sell forum at:

http://www.fredmiranda.com

Most of the people that sell there are pros or advanced shooters, so 9 times out of 10 you will get much better stuff there than you would find on ebay. Stuff goes fast, so check frequently for updates.

With some items (that have a transferable warranty) you can get the remainder of the manufacturer's warranty when you buy used. You have to ask. That should take your hesitancy out of buying used if it comes with a warranty.

I would much rather buy a quality USED camera or lens than a crappy cheap NEW camera or lens.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I think they'll dump the D200's at $1000. That's probably more than the OP wants to spend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.