Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
I hope someone has a suggestion.

Recently, I cannot use my photos in safari. Checked privacy and it shows under photos, safari listed as private access.

I cannot change it no matter what I do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
»Private Access« means your photos are kept private FROM Safari, while still allowing you to select photos to upload in a specific instance. This is the way how Safari operates for a while. Nothing to do here. :)

Now to fix your problem of not being able to upload or download images using Safari:
  • open Settings> Screentime > Content & Privacy Restrictions
  • toggle ON > Media & Apple Music
  • toggle to ALLOW > Allow Changes
  • toggle ON > toggle PHOTOS OFF.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
»Private Access« means your photos are kept private FROM Safari, while still allowing you to select photos to upload in a specific instance. This is the way how Safari operates for a while. Nothing to do here. :)

Now to fix your problem of not being able to upload or download images using Safari:
  • open Settings> Screentime > Content & Privacy Restrictions
  • toggle ON > Media & Apple Music
  • toggle to ALLOW > Allow Changes
  • toggle ON > toggle PHOTOS OFF.
This didn’t fix the problem sadly. I have all screen time and privacy settings either disabled or set to allow. I did go through and tried your recommendation but the problem still persists.

I’m not sure this is something that has existed for a while since it seems to only be very recently for me that my photos won’t upload to websites from safari.

Any other suggestions?

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
I’m not sure this is something that has existed for a while since it seems to only be very recently for me that my photos won’t upload to websites from safari.
The general behaviour exists for a while. Safari being listed with »Private Access« was introduced with iOS/iPadOS 17 - this is the default. I am an admin for a few hundred iPads and their users have no problem up/downloading images with this default setting under iPadOS 17.
And I am typing this on an iP SE 2022 running iOS 17.4.1 and I just checked my iPP under 17.5 beta - private access is set for Safari and I have no problems up- or downloading/saving via pop-up photos from or to the Photos library.

What version of iOS/iPadOS are you running on what iDevice? Does the problem persists when you use another browser?

Reactions: racer1441

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
The general behaviour exists for a while. Safari being listed with »Private Access« was introduced with iOS/iPadOS 17 - this is the default. I am an admin for a few hundred iPads and their users have no problem up/downloading images with this default setting under iPadOS 17.
And I am typing this on an iP SE 2022 running iOS 17.4.1 and I just checked my iPP under 17.5 beta - private access is set for Safari and I have no problems up- or downloading/saving via pop-up photos from or to the Photos library.

What version of iOS/iPadOS are you running on what iDevice? Does the problem persists when you use another browser?
17.3.1 on a iPhone 15. It is system wide. I cannot utilize my photos into any app. I did find an Apple support thread with many reporting the same issue.

Done the reboot thing, and all the other normal stuff. Doesn’t prompt for permission, just doesn’t do anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.