Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoCalRich

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
NorCal
CS 5 is here... How many of you are going to make the move? This will be my first copy so I'm all in... :D Can't wait... :D

First I have to get my new 17" MBP i7... It's ordered... I'm waiting...

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
CS 5 is here... How many of you are going to make the move? This will be my first copy so I'm all in... :D Can't wait... :D

First I have to get my new 17" MBP i7... It's ordered... I'm waiting...

I will probably buy PhotoShop CS5 Extended (educational). I believe it costs $199.00.

missclareski

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2008
Florida
I will probably buy PhotoShop CS5 Extended (educational). I believe it costs $199.00.

Ditto. I'm wanting to invest in Dreamweaver also, so I may get the Design package if I'm able to... I bought the Production Premium last summer. Is it only one educational software a year? I'm curious about the content-aware fill and how well it works (or doesn't). It would be amazing for when I do my digital scrapbooking if it actually works well!

Stratification

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
Spokane, WA
As a beta tester I have to say, you aren't going to be disappointed, I love the features in this latest version and feel a little lost when I'm on a machine with only CS4. The improvements to Camera Raw alone are huge.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
I will probably order this.. It looks very enticing.

Yaroldb, every where I have tried to buy has said "ships May" or "ships late May."

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
My buddy USED to work for Adobe, but they laid a bunch of people off last summer. He got me CS4 master collection for free:), but I will upgrade.

I registered mine and got something from Adobe a few weeks ago about upgrading. I think I will just do PS right now. Is there that a big a difference in DW, from CS4 > CS5?

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I would like PhotoShop CS5, but I don't have much use for the updates on the rest of the Design Premium package. Anyone know if you can upgrade just one component from a package? I have CS3 Design Premium.

Dale

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I would like PhotoShop CS5, but I don't have much use for the updates on the rest of the Design Premium package. Anyone know if you can upgrade just one component from a package? I have CS3 Design Premium.

Dale

I believe so. There are two update prices for PS CS5, $199 and $399.

Stratification

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
Spokane, WA
I'm curious about the content-aware fill and how well it works (or doesn't). It would be amazing for when I do my digital scrapbooking if it actually works well!

It's not magic, but given the right photo it can feel close. Content aware fill and healing are things I've made use of regularly with the new version. It struggles if there's strong depth-of-field or not enough to build a pattern from, but when it works it can be brilliant. Absolutely great for extending the edges of photos where needed.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I don't believe so, I think you'd have to upgrade to a similar suite.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Friend

Yesterday I showed a friend some of the demo videos of the new content aware features of CS5, and he was absolutely dumbfounded. He pretty much started yelling about how "we wont be able to trust anything we see in the future", and how it was like living in the future already. I said YEAH, I LOVE IT!!!

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I don't believe so, I think you'd have to upgrade to a similar suite.

Correct. They accept component to component, component to suite and suite to suite. They say in two seperate statements that they don't accept suite to component upgrades. PhotoShop CS3 handles most of what I need to do to finish and tune photos, but I want a better RAW editor. The ACR in CS3 hasn't been updated for a while and I'm not holding my breath. I'm currently thinking about Aperture 3 and adding PhotoShop Elements if A3 doesn't do enough for me.

Dale

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Yeah I'm upgrading to CS5 MC. All the great editions have come to the programs I use the most. Was at an AENY event today, a friend of mine was headlining a seminar, and someone one a free copy of CS5 MC.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I just downloaded Photoshop CS5 Extended; I love that I can now use all the RAM in my computer; if seems the extra VRAM is being put into good use as well.

I look forward to editing some landscapes with the new content-aware fill method.

The rest of the apps I'm keeping in CS4; I don't use them enough to justify any upgrading of those.

I had that issue as well. You can only upgrade a suite to a suite; the only way to upgrade an individual program is to buy the full version; of course I just bought the upgrade and got a previous version for the cheap.

kedruff

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2009
Downloaded CS5 web premium this morning (onto my new i7 17" MBP, I'm spending money like it's ***** water this month between taxes, computer & Adobe, LOL... course, I won't actually pay Adobe til the end of the 30 day trial). So far, I'm really enjoying Photoshop and content aware fill... lots of fun.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
pre-ordered in the beginning of April. Just checked Adobe and it looks like i should have the disc by next Thursday. can't wait! i've been waiting to upgrade from CS3 for a while.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I got CS4 Std (for Windows) less than a year ago so I'll pass on 5. I'll maybe upgrade to the next version in Extended edition. I would like the stacking features available in Extended.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.