Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoCalRich

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
NorCal
Correct. They accept component to component, component to suite and suite to suite. They say in two seperate statements that they don't accept suite to component upgrades. PhotoShop CS3 handles most of what I need to do to finish and tune photos, but I want a better RAW editor. The ACR in CS3 hasn't been updated for a while and I'm not holding my breath. I'm currently thinking about Aperture 3 and adding PhotoShop Elements if A3 doesn't do enough for me.

Dale

Have you considered Lightroom??? It is really VERY cool and does a lot!

SoCalRich

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
NorCal
.....I love that I can now use all the RAM in my computer; if seems the extra VRAM is being put into good use as well...

How much RAM do you have? I didn't see it spec'd in your sig.

I just ordered 4GB figuring I could upgrade if I really needed it later. Folks I know told me 4GB was enough.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
+1, I'm getting CS5 same price via my wife edu pricing.
I actually had CS4 just a few weeks back, and returned it w/o opening.
CS5 will be in my apple edu store cart this weekend....
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/9637303/
Mine should be shipped by next week. I decided not to download it from Adobe because I prefer to have the DVD close to my computer.
----
I forgot to mention that Adobe labs provided a free download of the Lens Profile Creator to use with CS5 and Lightroom:
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lensprofile_creator/

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Mine should be shipped by next week. I decided not to download it from Adobe because I prefer to have the DVD close to my computer.
----
I forgot to mention that Adobe labs provided a free download of the Lens Profile Creator to use with CS5 and Lightroom:
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lensprofile_creator/

Thx for info, I actually downloaded the free 30 day trial this morning...I'll try some of my past shots that I PP with PSE8 with CS5 to see workflow diff's/etc.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I'm actually thinking about enrolling in college...at least a part time schedule;)

Take advantage of those educational prices...Amazing! The price difference...I had NO idea is was that Huge!

Wish I'd have known back in 1990, while I was actually IN college...could've taken advantage on Photoshop 1.0!

I have the CS3 MC package...messed with CS4 some...and I am definitely in for the CS5 update...most likely, Production Premium...as After Effects and Premier Pro are BOTH 64bit native now...as well as PS! An enticing opportunity to learn Premier after almost a decade of fighting with FCP...although I'm happy with most of what Apple's Pro software allows...it's getting harder to read into the future of Apple's ProAps. Very exciting to be a Photo or Video editor these days....as we are just making our move into AVC-Intra 50/100, this package allows native editing direct from the camera...and allowing (as other's have mentioned) the use of all this RAM I invested in two years ago for my MacPro;)

Jer

jackeill

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
Anybody has the same problem as me with docking panels in CS5?

Here's the video: the first half presents docking in PSCS4, the second one in PSCS5. What am I doing wrong? Why doesn't it work?

I'm using PSCS5 trial from Adobe website.

CW Jones

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2009
CT
So I guess you can say I'm getting it. I just got CS4 about a month ago so they will upgrade me to CS5 at no cost. Otherwise form what I have seen of the use of content aware fill I am not to impressed and would just stick with CS4..... BUT its free haha

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
How much RAM do you have? I didn't see it spec'd in your sig.

I just ordered 4GB figuring I could upgrade if I really needed it later. Folks I know told me 4GB was enough.

12GB on the Mac Pro and 8GB on the MacBook Pro.

I did a test and opened a 500MP panaroma on the Mac Pro. It's about 6GB in file size.

It used to be take about 20 minutes to open it up, usually crash Photoshop; obviously my swap would go to around 10GB in size…

Now I can allocated 8GB to Photoshop, opens up the file in a minute.

Yeah, so there is a difference.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
CS5 + 64bit + 16gb ram = pleasure

The title tells it all.

On MacPro Octo 3.2GHz

Plus has anyone upgraded from 8800gt on a similar machine with any success - and - does anyone know/think the ddr2 800 ram will come down in price?

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Yesterday I showed a friend some of the demo videos of the new content aware features of CS5, and he was absolutely dumbfounded. He pretty much started yelling about how "we wont be able to trust anything we see in the future", and how it was like living in the future already. I said YEAH, I LOVE IT!!!

Tell him to relax because some of us actually are real photographers who have loads of raw talent and not only would we *never* do that cr@p to our photographs, we are taking measures to ensure you CAN trust our images.

All this is going to do is further devalue chump / hack photography and increase the value on other types, aka, actual photographs versus millions of HDR / photoshop fantasy landfill material.

I do love that I can use all the ram with CS5 though.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006
Tell him to relax because some of us actually are real photographers who have loads of raw talent and not only would we *never* do that cr@p to our photographs, we are taking measures to ensure you CAN trust our images.

All this is going to do is further devalue chump / hack photography and increase the value on other types, aka, actual photographs versus millions of HDR / photoshop fantasy landfill material.

I do love that I can use all the ram with CS5 though.

Although I agree that it feels a bit like cheating, content aware fill was helpful in one instance for me so far and really would limit its uses to things like this. I couldnt help but have power lines running through my shot here. I really liked everything about it minus the power lines of course so CAF did the job pretty well.

Before:
xfyl41.jpg

After:
4581040195_61ac076b7d_b.jpg

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
@OrangeCuse44 Wow, seems to have done a pretty great job around the detail area of the branches. Did you only use content aware for that or also another tool?

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006
@OrangeCuse44 Wow, seems to have done a pretty great job around the detail area of the branches. Did you only use content aware for that or also another tool?

Content aware exclusively, I really wanted to test it out. After using it for this shot, which took me about 40 minutes because I was very careful, I learned a couple of things.

1. Use as small as a brush as you can afford. It takes more time but the less information CAF tries to take in, the better the results.

2. Around branches like I dealt with, use single clicks instead of dragging. I had to undo a LOT around the branches, but found that a single click right next to a branch gave better results.

Like any tool, it will only do well if you ask it do something reasonable. Trying to take out a 3rd of a shot prob won't work. Also, this is prob much better for areas of less intricate backgrounds, such as a sky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.