Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I used to check the site daily, but currently the front page is just full of so much stuff I don't care about that it's easier to get news elsewhere. Everyone probably has a topic they scroll by pretty regularly. I find it absolutely obnoxious when the front page is covered in deals and OS beta update news. iOS 15.9000 Public Beta has been released! And then the comments are just repeats of "downloading now" or "not showing for me". Very engaging content!

There has been a very clear shift from focusing on product rumors to the site becoming a giant ad network. I actually don't mind Apple TV+ posts, but even the way they're written sometimes reads like an ad. As Apple expands into new markets, growth outside of Mac coverage is to be expected, especially when there's no new Mac hardware in sight. MR just needs to find a balance in content, right now it's way too much of what many aren't here for.

A customizable front page sounds pretty rad.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I'm looking at the customizable piece. Have considered it for a while, but it was planned to be a contributor feature.

Regardless, it can't happen before a few other cleanup / structural changes happen though. So won't be immediate, but it's on my radar.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Frankly I like the Apple TV+ coverage. Perhaps half to 2/3 of is is about shows I have no interest in and I just scroll past those entries.

But the other 1/3 to 1/2 have alerted me to several of my favorite shows this year, most notably Come From Away and the 9/11 Special but also Schmigadoon and several of the shows that are coming in the next few months. That alone makes it high impact in my use case. Since this website is my primary source of Apple-related news, it would be a real loss to see Apple TV+ coverage go away or get significantly diminished. My 2 cents....

Is it really that burdensome to scroll past shows that don't interest you?

Reactions: mw360 and artfossil

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
We're going to be cutting it down.
I think it was a mistake to get rid of “Page 2”, iOS blog, and Mac Blog. So many small things like announcing the public beta 24 hours after posting about the developer beta for example or making 3 articles about it (iOS, tvOS, watchOS) isn’t needed. There’s always a thread in the iOS sub forum detailing everything with each new beta release. Seems excessive to make 3 articles about it.

Glad to hear about cutting down on the Apple TV+ news. I just redeemed my 1 year trial last month, but haven’t watched anything yet, but Ted Lasso or the Morning Show isn’t tech related, it’s entertainment.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I think it was a mistake to get rid of “Page 2”, iOS blog, and Mac Blog. So many small things like announcing the public beta 24 hours after posting about the developer beta for example or making 3 articles about it (iOS, tvOS, watchOS) isn’t needed. There’s always a thread in the iOS sub forum detailing everything with each new beta release. Seems excessive to make 3 articles about it.

Glad to hear about cutting down on the Apple TV+ news. I just redeemed my 1 year trial last month, but haven’t watched anything yet, but Ted Lasso or the Morning Show isn’t tech related, it’s entertainment.
I agree with this comment wholeheartedly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.