Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewEndOriginal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2005
I recently purchased an IMac G5 OS X. I have no previous experience with Macs so I'm a bit lost on certain things. When I try to copy a picture from a website, the menue box pops up and I select Save Image As. but it doesn't do anything. What am I doing wrong? and also how do I change my background image from the once already on my desktop? Sorry, if I posted this in the wrong forum ..... and thank you in advance to anyone that can help me.

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
NewEndOriginal said:
I recently purchased an IMac G5 OS X. I have no previous experience with Macs so I'm a bit lost on certain things. When I try to copy a picture from a website, the menue box pops up and I select Save Image As. but it doesn't do anything. What am I doing wrong? and also how do I change my background image from the once already on my desktop? Sorry, if I posted this in the wrong forum ..... and thank you in advance to anyone that can help me.

welcome to macs...you know what they say..Once you go mac you aint going back ;)

No but back to topic. All you do in OS x is drag the picture from the web page to your desktop. If you wanna change your desktop, you need to go to System preferences and desktop screen saver and then change it there. Or you can "right" click the desktop. If you have the apple mouse just press CTRl click and this allows you to choose "Change Desktop Background"

Good luck
Peace
DjVoTeZ

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I'd reccomend picking up David Pogue's "The Missing Manual" for OS X - If you are going to order Tiger, get that edition - it is available on Amazon.

And yes, just drag the image off the bowser window onto your desktop. It's that easy. Then you can save it wherever you want.

Blurb

macrumors member
May 7, 2004
First, welcome to the Mac computing experience. Sounds like you've made an excellent choice with the G5 iMac.

There will be a little bit of a learning curve for you to get used to your imac, mainly because you will be trying to do things the way you have been used to with PC's. I described it as the left and right sides of my brain trying to fight one another. Try to avoid always assuming things should be done the Windows/PC way, and start with the thought, "How should this work?" The way to do most things is usually easier than a newbie tries to make it.

Probably the best support book is the series written by David Pogue, "The Missing Manual: Mac OS X: Panther". (May not have the words in exactly correct order; but be sure to get the one for your OS version, e.g., Panther). And there are some excellent resources on the web such as this forum, various mac user groups, and apple.com (click on the support tab, then click on training, then mac users, etc). If you have a .Mac account, they offer free online access to many tutorials on their sw. Or, if you live near an Apple store, they have regularly scheduled training classes, should you need them.

As for your screensaver, click on system preferences, then on Desktop & Screen Saver. You need to spend some time in all the various places withing system preferences, and explore the effect of changes you can make there. As to your question about saved web images, did you look in your pictures folder?? (click on Finder, then on the pictures folder, etc)

Good luck! Don't be afraid to ask more questions. Most of us have asked our share of questions here.... that is the point of the place, you know!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
NewEndOriginal said:
When I try to copy a picture from a website, the menue box pops up and I select Save Image As. but it doesn't do anything.

Dragging the picture to the desktop is a great way, as previously mentioned. Beyond that, go to preferences in Safari. In the first (General) tab, there should be an entry, Save Downloaded Files to... If it isn't set, pick a directory where you want them to go, or choose the desktop. If it *is* set, then look there, because your pictures might all be waiting for you there. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.