Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
dpreview's Fuji forum is full of Fuji users complaining than the F50 IQ is worse than the F30.

Well, I've owned both and can categorically state that it is not. The F30/31 do have slightly better noise levels at higher ISO's but there is really not much difference in my pictures and the extra megapixel boost is worth it.

cube said:
He also asked with a camera with IS. That rules out the F31fd, F30, and F20 even if he could find one.

But not the F50.

CMD is me

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2006
(first off I didn't read all the above posts, but wanted to offer help)

Panasonic TZ5... I've had 10 compact cameras and have a picky eye. The TZ series is one of the best compacts out there. If size it's a HUGE issue, consider the Canon S5 which is faster (zoom speed, aperture range and speed of AF). If size is an issue and you don't care for the 140-280mm range, you may want to consider a Canon SD series -- the SD850 is a great camera (but lacks the TZ's range and the S5's speed)

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
fujifilm f31d.

I was going to buy this camera, I was just putting it off and got completely burned. They upgraded to a new model, so this "old" one almost doubled in price since they aren't being made anymore. People who have it don't let go of it that easily.

Why so much for an old model? Because it didn't just follow the "let's slap more megapixels on it and people will want it" philosophy. Instead, they kept it at 6 MP (which, let's be honest, is enough. You're not going to print bigger than 14 x 19 prints from a compact). So instead of trying to cram tons of MP onto the sensor, they have a large sensor for the # of MP (well, relative to other compacts). This gives you better shots, especially at night. If you want to do pictures without good light, this is your compact!

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
I could use the same help. I'm buying a camera for someone. I want to get her the same camera I have: Canon SD750. Surprised nobody has mentioned the Digic III processor, which is pretty cool. I did a lot of work researching my first compact P&S, which was an SD300. At the time, the processor made the camera more responsive than anything on the market. Is the Digic still that far advanced?

Anyhow, the person I'm buying for has criteria that are a little different. What's the best image quality you can get for under $300 if you don't care how big the camera is. Compact doesn't matter.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
I've had both the F31 and F50. The F50 is not in the same league. The F31 is more than a stop cleaner hands down. I've tried many side by side tests. The F50 has terrible AE and doesn't have a lens shift IS, but a sensor shift which doesn't work other than for a marketing bullet point. If you want a good Fuji for low light, there is the F40 (Ritz re-brands it as the F45 -- same camera, but nicer finish) which is nearly as clean as the F31 but offers better AWB manners.

If you want a good sunlight camera I suggests either a Canon like the A720, SD850 or the Panasonic TZ4/5. You can't go wrong with Canon or the TZ which has a great lens, 10x zoom, WA, super IS system and is now on par with Canon for image quality (better than the TZ3 was).

BTW, I've owned all the cameras mentioned so I know how they function first hand.

I second most of this. SD870 for wide angle, but short zoom. VERY nice pics in full light. Stumbles a bit in darker settings. a720 for more manual control. Downside is two AAs mean slow flash recharge. Same issues as SD870 in low light, but does have more zoom. G9 for best IQ compact cam coupled with easy menus and good zoom, but no wide angle and it's not as small as the others. (DP1 has better IQ, but fixed lens and lousy menus)TZ5 for super zoom and easy menus. Good IQ, but some people have some issues with the TZ5 IQ. Nice pocket sized.

To summarize:
If you want an all-rounder with best IQ and don't mind a mini-brick, then G9. If you want the very best IQ in a tiny size, and don't care about zoom or ease of use then DP1. If you want the VERY best all-rounder, but can sacrifice a bit of IQ, then TZ5. If you want strong all-rounder for full light shots, a720. If you want shirt pocket sized, with auto settings, wide angle and great full light shots, than SD870.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
I could use the same help. I'm buying a camera for someone. I want to get her the same camera I have: Canon SD750. Surprised nobody has mentioned the Digic III processor, which is pretty cool. I did a lot of work researching my first compact P&S, which was an SD300. At the time, the processor made the camera more responsive than anything on the market. Is the Digic still that far advanced?

Anyhow, the person I'm buying for has criteria that are a little different. What's the best image quality you can get for under $300 if you don't care how big the camera is. Compact doesn't matter.

Full light, or low light? If full light, just about any Canon a series (a720, for example). a650 is a VERY nice camera, but I'm not sure if it's under $300 at this time. How much is the Canon SX100 or S5IS? They might also be a good contenders. However, under $300 and good performance in low-light do not go well together. Maybe try a used Fuji f40?

And yes, Canons are still quicker than other makes, but the gap has narrowed significantly. The TZ5, for instance, is just a hair's breadth slower BUT you get 28-280 and HD video -- something no canon will give you.

jywv8

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
(first off I didn't read all the above posts, but wanted to offer help)

Panasonic TZ5... I've had 10 compact cameras and have a picky eye. The TZ series is one of the best compacts out there. If size it's a HUGE issue, consider the Canon S5 which is faster (zoom speed, aperture range and speed of AF). If size is an issue and you don't care for the 140-280mm range, you may want to consider a Canon SD series -- the SD850 is a great camera (but lacks the TZ's range and the S5's speed)

You know... I bought a TZ5 last week and ended up returning it after a few days of test shooting. I loved the features, build quality, size, weight. I even liked how it looked. I really wanted to like the camera. I wasn't expecting miracles, since it is a compact and all. But I was so disappointed by the image quality. I ended up exchanging it for a PowerShot G9, which I am really happy with.

I'm no pro or pixel-peeper. Maybe I was doing something wrong. But even my well-lit outdoor shots with the TZ5 were coming out so farking noisy. I couldn't stand it.

CMD is me

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2006
You know... I bought a TZ5 last week... Maybe I was doing something wrong. But even my well-lit outdoor shots with the TZ5 were coming out so farking noisy. I couldn't stand it.

Hum... that's odd. Not much you do too wrong when using a TZ5. The color mode can make a difference. "Natural" is more like Canon where as "Standard" is a touch more saturated has more sharpening. I've seen several TZ5 vs G9 posts and they are VERY close when used with similar settings. That said, on strictly IQ alone, I think Canon does a slightly better job with exposures. My S5 is always spot on. If I want the best IQ and fastest speed, I'll shoot with the S5. BUT if I want a compact camera with near Canon PQ, I grab the TZ. As they say, the best camera is the one you have with you and the S5 doesn't fit in a pocket!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.