Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nkawal

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2011
NYC
What are the optimal settings for plex media server. Should everything be left the same or are there tweaks we can make in settings.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
What are the optimal settings for plex media server. Should everything be left the same or are there tweaks we can make in settings.
Bitrates I leave at original. If you have a client capable of direct play but you reduce the bitrate in plex below that of the movie it would then force it to transcode.
The scan options you'll have to play around with to get it where you want it. I update my library with content regularly so I have it scan more frequently.
There really shouldn't be too much you have to tweak there. I set my clients to original bitrate as well. If you're wireless you may have to change this.
I think more importantly is how you encode your media that will have the bigger impact on performance.

As long as you're server isn't trying to serve or transcode more than it can handle it will be fine.
The next issue is your network to your client(s), wired/wireless. And if you are trying to playing media not supported by those clients.
For example, on my HTPC it tries to directplay everything as it has the codecs to do so. However it doesn't have CPU powerful enough or a GPU that supports HEVC decoding so it stutters.
On my roku 3 or apple tv plex knows they don't support HEVC so it's transcoded without issue. Though my primary viewing device is the nvidia shield which supports everything so all my content direct plays.

49JC

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2010
Im kind of in the same boat. I dont want to waste cash on the outdated mini. Im considering picking up a qnap as Ive also been looking into storage solutions as well but that still doesnt solve my replacement for my dead imac. Highly considering building an itx rig and using that in the mean time til apple figures out, if ever, the next mini.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Which i7 do you have? And what are you trying to play that is giving you issue?

The only quad core i7 that was available in 2012.

Just because it's an i7 doesn't mean you can run 5 streams through it.

Just trying to get songs to stream. Something that has worked perfectly fine for years until the "new" Plex.

Which update are you referring to? You mention it like it's a big update buy my PMS gets updates just about every week. I'm not aware of any major updates. No issues on my end.

From PHT to PMP.

Perhaps an update changed some default settings and that's the issue? Is your network wireless or wired? What's the bitrate set to in PMS and PMP?

Plex completely skips songs. It doesn't even start to play them.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
The only quad core i7 that was available in 2012.

That's not really helpful. Though I did look it up and there are two i7's available that year. But it doesn't say which architecture which does matter when talking about processors.

Just trying to get songs to stream. Something that has worked perfectly fine for years until the "new" Plex.

I don't use plex for music as I stream all my music online. I doubt music is a big priority for the devs. Or PMP as most people use devices such as roku's, apple tv, smart tv's, chromcasts and so on.
Videos play fine?
Have you tried posting your logs to the plex forums for others to look at?

A quick search shows people having success with this version:
https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/261782/plex-media-player-1-2-3-rc1/p1

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Could be that the ipad isn't maintaining a connection with the screen off after a period of time. Assuming your screen is off? I know ios has issues maintaining connections. For example, devices such as a BBQ probe with the corresponding ios app will disconnect often. It's just the way ios was designed to save battery. I sometimes have issues with ios and chromecasting. Doesn't always maintain connection.
And what updates are you referring to? client? server? ipad? The server updates often because they're fixing bugs. Keep in mind plex is on an insane number of devices, tv's, consoles, etc. It's a lot to support. It means they are regularly working on it which is a good thing.
If it's giving you issues with music, use something else. You have tons of options.

Again, while I don't stream music with plex, it is flawless for playing all my videos. Bluray rips, h.264, h.265, TrueHD, DTS-MA, atmos, DTS:X. To all my devices, chromecast, roku, xboxes, nvidia shield, ipad, iphone, nexus 6, apple tv, fire tv stick, LG and samsung tv's. No problems.

Reactions: AleRod

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Could be that the ipad isn't maintaining a connection with the screen off after a period of time. Assuming your screen is off?

No, in the midst of using Safari.

And what updates are you referring to? client? server? ipad? The server updates often because they're fixing bugs.

Server, mostly. Yes, it is beta software for sure. Maybe alpha.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I never said beta software. It's definitely release software. And it's been working wonderful for YEARS!! Plex's primary function has been video since day 1.
Regular bug fixes does not mean software is in beta. When you support so many platforms, and those platforms keep updating, so must you. It's a lot to do. Especially when so much of plex is free! Sure, you could buy a plex pass to gain more features but you don't have to.

Music is a new feature. And not many people use it. Personally I don't know why anyone would use plex for music. Stream it! I have a spotify sub. I also took all my personal music and uploaded it to google music for free. Or use itunes and stream your local library. You have options. Those are some. There are many more. Stop whining and move on to something that meets your needs. I spent time on the forums. Most people are not having the issues you are having.

Last edited:

Cave Man

macrumors 604
I never said beta software. It's definitely release software. And it's been working wonderful for YEARS!! Plex's primary function has been video since day 1.
Yes, I've used Plex since "day 1" and was one of the early donors. All this beta/alpha-ware crap started about a year ago when they "updated" the platform. I wrote the original Blu-ray rip How-to for Plex.

Regular bug fixes does not mean software is in beta.

Almost weekly bug fixes. And there are still dozens of bugs.

When you support so many platforms, and those platforms keep updating, so must you. It's a lot to do. Especially when so much of plex is free!

Perhaps they should have made sure it was listed as "beta" before releasing it.

Sure, you could buy a plex pass to gain more features but you don't have to.

Had a Plex pass for about a month. Then canceled it because it didn't work as advertised, either.

Music is a new feature. And not many people use it. Personally I don't know why anyone would use plex for music. Stream it! I have a spotify sub.

Not interested in subscriptions.

I also took all my personal music and uploaded it to google music for free.

Good for you!

Or use itunes and stream your local library. You have options. Those are some. There are many more.

Yes, at this point I'm relegated to iTunes streaming. Plex isn't functional, even though they claim it is. They should say in their advertising "Play your favorite music. Well, for 15 minutes anyway!"

Stop whining and move on to something that meets your needs.

Whining? Listing legitimate complaints is "whining"? Sorry, but I've been with Plex so long that I know when it's compromised. And it is majorly compromised.

I spent time on the forums. Most people are not having the issues you are having.

Just a quick glance over there shows they dropped Apple Remote abilities, with syncing music, the Plex Cloud is a total disaster, audio drops, audio stopping after several minutes (one of my problems). And that's just the Plex Media Player forum.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Then how do you have all these issues and I have none of them? I glanced at the forums as well. There are not many posts with the issues you describe. A few, yes, not a ton. Not a lot. To me this sounds more like it's something on your end. Network perhaps.
Just to see, I downloaded an album and streamed to my ipad via plex. No issues.

Almost weekly bug fixes. And there are still dozens of bugs.

And there are tons of ever changing platforms they support. This is to be expected. That there are so many updates means they are working very quickly at addressing them. I commend them for it.

Many apps get weekly updates. It means nothing. Netflix is updated all the time.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.