Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I went skiing a couple of weeks ago and the only "cameras" we had were the one on my iPhone and a friend's cheap P&S. There was no way I was taking a full dSLR (or even a G9/G10/G11) on the slopes.

I would've loved to have a small "pro" (or whatever) S90 that shoots in manual to compensate for the way snow consistently fools the exposure meter of an automatic P&S.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I would have to disagree. I have used a few of the point/shoots that are aimed at Pros, and find the output pretty awesome

I'm going to disagree with your disagreement. I know a fair number of pros and help to administer a professional photography forum. The pros on the forum are commercial, wedding, portrait, pet, fine art, and general photographers, and most of them wouldn't dream of producing commercial work with an point and shoot camera. The market for P&S cameras for professional photographers is quite marginal, while the market for advanced P&S cameras for amateurs is relatively large and relatively high margin.

Im a firm believer that it is NEVER the camera that takes good shots, its the photog.

While a good photographer with a "bad" camera will normally produce better results than the opposite, a camera is a tool, and so it depends heavily upon the job at hand. However, never is too strong a word, even automatic metering, autofocus and randomly pointing at a subject will occasionally produce good shots- it's consistency that requires thought.

A DSLR, these days, can handle about 85% of what the photographer used to do in their head. A point and shoot , pro level or otherwise, is an excellent exercise that forces you to think more creatively, to slow down and shoot purposefully IMO, just my .02

As has been pointed out, "Point and Shoot" isn't "slow down," and while going to larger formats generally encourages slow methodological shooting, you can do that with any camera- it's the *results* that should be encouraging that process.

Paul

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
All camera's are point and shoot, art is all in the intent.

I take it you've never shot large format- if so, you'd find the phrase "All cameras are point and shoot" quite amusing. Ok, more than quite amusing, very hilarious! I'll also disagree that art is in the intent- it's in the execution of the vision- unless you're talking about "in my mind it's art" as opposed to "this is likely to be accepted into a gallery."

If I am using a "Pro level" PnS with advanced options in full manual (or even a consumer model), I DO have to slow down and take my time if I want to make a good image. Because this small camera doesn't have a whiz-bang CPU in it that samples light readings however many hundreds/thousands of times a second, BECAUSE its not a 5000.00 DSLR. Like I said, it's all about intent, not labeling.

What an arbitrary marketing designation "Pro level," is that pro sports-shooter level, pro fashion-shooter level or "pro cat shooter" level?

Also, I didn't say they WERE Pro, I said they were geared towards the Pro level (or at least advanced amateurs, even though I don't like that differential/degrading labeling, just because someone doesn't make their living with photography doesn't make them any less of a photographer, but I digress)

Actually, in pure terms, amateurs do something "for the love of it" and professionals do something "to make a living." There's no photography value judgment there- it's simply an economic differentiation. You're making a value judgment that it's "degrading," but that doesn't make it so. There are a wide range of professional photographers, from those who have honed skills over decades of shooting in challenging conditions to folks who do $200 weddings advertised on Craigslist- and even in the latter category there have to be some good photographers by the simple law of averages.

I don't really think Im saying anything here that isn't perfectly logical. The only thing Im really seeing is that you don't agree that a PnS can be "Pro" level. To each his own.

Remember ... there is no EXIF data attached to a framed print. Very few people care what type of brushes Monet, Rembrandt or Picasso used, they care only for the fact they knew how to use what they had.

Most brushes can produce equivalent results- professionals don't generally spend tens of thousands of dollars on equipment just to spend money, they do it to get a particular set of results. Smaller sensors generally cannot produce the set of results that ends up earning a living- it's got nothing to do with the name, the marketing or anything else. Start producing 11x14 prints with your P&S and you'll see where it falls- I've got a friend who's studio regularly sells 20x30 portrait prints- the P&S is the wrong tool for the job. That's why the phrase "Pro" and "Point and Shoot" is amusing to many of us- even with fine art, where the tool doesn't have to matter as much as the image going up market often means going to large or ultar-large prints.

Paul

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
I take it you've never shot large format- if so, you'd find the phrase "All cameras are point and shoot" quite amusing. Ok, more than quite amusing, very hilarious! I'll also disagree that art is in the intent- it's in the execution of the vision- unless you're talking about "in my mind it's art" as opposed to "this is likely to be accepted into a gallery."

What an arbitrary marketing designation "Pro level," is that pro sports-shooter level, pro fashion-shooter level or "pro cat shooter" level?

Well, as you say below, Pro is someone who makes money at what they're doing. So I don't think it much matter what they are shooting, money is money. Whether they do it "well" is another matter.

However, Im not too keen on the idea of telling people that something they do isn't art simply because it won't hang in a gallery. Art is about audience ... not money.

Actually, in pure terms, amateurs do something "for the love of it" and professionals do something "to make a living." There's no photography value judgment there- it's simply an economic differentiation. You're making a value judgment that it's "degrading," but that doesn't make it so. There are a wide range of professional photographers, from those who have honed skills over decades of shooting in challenging conditions to folks who do $200 weddings advertised on Craigslist- and even in the latter category there have to be some good photographers by the simple law of averages.

I make a value judgment because, for the most part, that is how society views it. And the fact that some "Pros" in this very forum often tend to spin their comments towards "Pros only" only fortifies my position.

Most brushes can produce equivalent results- professionals don't generally spend tens of thousands of dollars on equipment just to spend money, they do it to get a particular set of results.

Incorrect. That is WHY artists spend so much on their brushes. Camel hair is not the same as Mole hair which doesn't equal synthetic materials. However, the end result is a painting, people either buy it or they dont. Generally speaking they don't question the brush type used. So yes, from an artist point of view, materials matter ... but usually the end client doesn't harp over whether the person used L glass or not.

Smaller sensors generally cannot produce the set of results that ends up earning a living- it's got nothing to do with the name, the marketing or anything else. Start producing 11x14 prints with your P&S and you'll see where it falls- I've got a friend who's studio regularly sells 20x30 portrait prints- the P&S is the wrong tool for the job. That's why the phrase "Pro" and "Point and Shoot" is amusing to many of us- even with fine art, where the tool doesn't have to matter as much as the image going up market often means going to large or ultar-large prints.

Ahh, thanks, I didn't realize that fine art, and art in general, only started at the 11" x 14" and up range. Someone should tell those Polaroid collectors who spend thousands a year. And da Vinci ... I bet he is red faced with that minuscule Mona Lisa thing. This part of the argument is laughable really, no where in my forum posts did I mention anything about printing huge sizes from a Point and Shoot. I did, however, say that if someone makes money from a print, it doesn't really matter that it was taken with a Point and shoot in the end. If you selling large prints is your game, awesome. I will completely concede that you need something more than a point and shoot. If, however, your an photog that routinely sells 8x10s, you cannot tell me that some of the new high end PnS cameras are going to be inefficient.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Well, as you say below, Pro is someone who makes money at what they're doing. So I don't think it much matter what they are shooting, money is money. Whether they do it "well" is another matter.

You miss the distinction. A "Pro level" sports camera will have different features than a "Pro level" fashion camera- so the marketing distinction you're trying to make by calling something "Pro level" completely misses the point of professional equipment. That is to be "Pro level" the tool needs to match whatever purpose the profession has for it- by not doing so, you miss the mark out of the gate.

However, Im not too keen on the idea of telling people that something they do isn't art simply because it won't hang in a gallery. Art is about audience ... not money.

I go to the National Gallery of Art in D.C. quite often- I rarely see art there that has anything to do with money in terms of being displayed other than the fact that at some point someone with some purchased the work and either donated it or allows it to be exhibited for some period of time, so I'm not sure what money has to do with it- perhaps you could elaborate?

I make a value judgment because, for the most part, that is how society views it. And the fact that some "Pros" in this very forum often tend to spin their comments towards "Pros only" only fortifies my position.

Perhaps it's your value judgments that cloud your perception of such comments...

Incorrect. That is WHY artists spend so much on their brushes. Camel hair is not the same as Mole hair which doesn't equal synthetic materials. However,

The word "equivalent" doesn't mean "exactly the same." There aren't a bazillion properties to a paintbrush- how much paint it holds, how long a line it will hold paint for, how much it will hold its shape, the "feel" of the bounce- feel doesn't affect the function as much as the enjoyment of the tool user- holding more or less paint generally simply means going back more often, and all materials that are acceptable for brushes are going to hold their shape for some period of time, simply changing out often one reshapes or replaces the tool. FWIW, "Camel hair" brushes are generally made from squirrel tails.

Ahh, thanks, I didn't realize that fine art, and art in general, only started at the 11" x 14" and up range. Someone should tell those Polaroid collectors

For photography, the high-end in the galleries I've been through in the last few years have generally been larger works- but again you miss the point- the "pro" tool will have characteristics which make it right for creating "pro" work- or "pro level" work if you prefer. It's just like shooting stock for an agency that doesn't have specific camera requirements- you can use anything you like to shoot with, but your chances of acceptance go up astronomically if you're using equipment with the same or better capabilities than that of others submitting work to the same agency, especially in the same categories. Therefore, your ability to produce stock photos may not be much impacted by your choice of tool, but your ability to make a "Pro level" living at it (for whatever value of living is still in stock) will be much less than if you use a larger sensor.

who spend thousands a year. And da Vinci ... I bet he is red faced with that minuscule Mona Lisa thing. This part of the argument is laughable really, no where in my forum posts did I mention anything about printing huge sizes from a Point and Shoot. I did, however, say that if someone makes money from a print, it doesn't really matter that it was taken with a Point and shoot in the end. If you selling large prints is your game, awesome. I will completely concede that you need something more than a point and shoot. If, however, your an photog that routinely sells 8x10s, you cannot tell me that some of the new high end PnS cameras are going to be inefficient.

No, I most certainly *can* tell you that high end P&S cameras are going to be inefficient. It's easier to illustrate with large prints, but the concept is exactly the same-- when you have to enlarge more, the resulting image quality is going to be less until you reach the limits of the viewer's ability to resolve details at the viewing distance for whichever size you're displaying.

Even in Fine Art Nature, when people are looking at display prints, 5-8 times out of 10 they're influenced by the level of detail in a print. I find that lots of customers will remark on and purchase images of birds with very fine feather detail in person that don't sell anywhere near as well online- reduce the sensor size and you lose that detail as you enlarge the image, even at 8x10 I'd say that at least 2/3rds of my prints that tend to get such remarks and sales wouldn't do so were they shot from a P&S sized sensor.

In using the term "Pro level" you introduce a criteria which includes the ability to withstand more scrutiny simply because you're talking about a market which will have competition and standard quality levels. Both of those things mean that the tools need to be able to produce work that is normally inside the boundaries delineated by those earning a living from their work to be "Pro level." Otherwise, you're simply at "really good P&S."

Note also that the requirements for "Pro level" in the art market are not the same as the requirements for "art." Unless you can build a social cachet that generally escapes most living artists, or produce volumes that also escape most artists you're going to go a lot hungrier selling small prints than selling larger prints.

In the business part of fine art, it's interesting to note that a customer who likes an image for what it is will purchase the smallest size available better than 60% of the time. That's one of the biggest reasons I don't sell prints smaller than 8x10- 5x7 prints priced competitively simply don't pay for multi-thousand dollar lenses in a short enough timeframe. So, while you may be able to make adequate sales off of 5x7-8x10 prints from a P&S, you'll do so much better selling larger high-quality prints- even if you can get 5% of your clientele to upsize to 11x14 or most especially evern larger sized prints it's not funny, since you'll be selling into sweet spots for both volume and unit price (the margins are so much higher on large prints it's not funny.)

Finally, da Vinci didn't make anything on the Mona Lisa since he never delivered on the commission, but I doubt he'd have been paid less commission for a larger portrait at the time.

Paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.