Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buy Applecare with your new iPhone 7?

• Total voters

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
Everyone is talking like the only thing AC+ covers is accidental damage. It also extends the standard warranty to two full years. So in month 18, if your lock button or lightning port breaks from regular use, they replace or repair the phone for free (well, with no deductible). Free cable replacements for the full two years when the ends fray.

I get AppleCare on every device my family purchases. Laptops, phones, tablets, all of them. Even if you don't end up needing it, it's nice to know it's there if you do.

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
Did you know that the AT&T deductable reduces over time if you don't file a claim? From their site:

"A non-refundable deductible will be charged for each approved claim. Continuously enrolled customers who go claim free for 6-12 consecutive months save 25% off the standard deductible; and at 12 consecutive months or more save 50% off the standard deductible."

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/features/mobileinsurance-sku1040075.html
Now that you mention it I remember reading that.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Everyone is talking like the only thing AC+ covers is accidental damage. It also extends the standard warranty to two full years. So in month 18, if your lock button or lightning port breaks from regular use, they replace or repair the phone for free (well, with no deductible). Free cable replacements for the full two years when the ends fray.

I get AppleCare on every device my family purchases. Laptops, phones, tablets, all of them. Even if you don't end up needing it, it's nice to know it's there if you do.

Most people here don't keep a phone 18 months, let alone 24. I'll get a refund on the unused portion of AC+ when the next iPhone is released. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: caligurl

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
I have a 6s plus, and on a device (like an iPad or Apple Watch as well) that I'll be carrying around and using a lot, having accidental coverage is a no brainer. Just for the peace of mind I'd get it, and I usually think extended coverage is a rip. These devices cost quite a bit and the Applecare is relatively inexpensive compared to what the repairs would cost should something happen.

CAWjr

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I have 2 kids under 10. My wife & I each got the new iP7 with the Apple upgrade program because it includes AppleCare+. Better to have that security with little hands screwing with my phone than to have to deal with paying full price for a shattered screen.

InAustralia

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia
I usually only buy AppleCare on my Macs.

Australian consumer law requires requires Apple to provide a warranty of 2 years for their products (rather than 1), which means a lot of the benefit that Applecare provides is negated.

You really only get accidental damage coverage plus support for the price of AppleCare+. I don't understand why Apple does not drop the price of AppleCare+ in Australia as a result. The take-up by consumers would be a lot higher then.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
As others have noted, AT&T has the $7.99/month plan that covers damage, theft, and loss.

Also note, the deductible is a declining deductible so the longer you have the phone with their insurance, the less you pay to replace it.

I'm on the fence, love having Apple directly deal with my product issues, but theft/loss protection is hard to beat.
[doublepost=1473501440][/doublepost]
I always get AppleCare

- 2 year hassle free coverage
- covers everything in the box (ear pods, lightning cable, charger).
I have never been denied a new cable or charger when I bring it into the store with issues and I don't use AppleCare . Apple is really good about taking care of customers.

happycadaver

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2012
Germany
I haven't bought Applecare once with any of my Apple products and did never need it. The money i saved would buy me more than 1,0 iPhone 7. It seems to be much cheaper taking care of your own products than needing Apple for it. ;)

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
AC+ for me, with only €29 for a screen repair. I also choose for AC+ cause I really, really hate cases. In my opinion, any case will completely ruin the customer experience, let alone the original design of the iPhone

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
I Never buy apple care for any apple product. The money not spent on apple care could easily pay for 2 or 3 new phones or a couple of ipads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.