Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you had hardware problems with your late 2016 or newer MacBook Pro?

• Total voters

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
I want to see how prevalent hardware problems are with the late 2016 or newer MacBook Pro (basically the current design). There are many reports of failed keyboards, swollen batteries, broken display cables, blown speakers and so on – but it would be great to see the ratio of these problems compared to those that never had any issues.

If you had any significant hardware issue (keyboard, backlight, display, speakers, battery, GPU, motherboard, etc) that wasn't your fault, even if Apple repaired it for free, please vote YES.

If your machine has always worked perfectly with no hardware issues (except ones obviously caused by you, such as liquid damage), please vote NO.

Last edited:

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
2016 - Swollen battery - replaced keyboard/battery case case via applecare. Returned with fan noises. Sent again, replaced fans. Sold it - with applecare still good for more than a year (was working perfectly after new keyboard/battery case). Purchased a 2018 - so far so good.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I want to see how prevalent hardware problems are with the late 2016 or newer MacBook Pro (basically the current design). There are many reports of failed keyboards, swollen batteries, broken display cables, blown speakers and so on – but it would be great to see the ratio of these problems compared to those that never had any issues.

If you had any significant hardware issue (keyboard, backlight, display, speakers, battery, GPU, motherboard, etc) that wasn't your fault, even if Apple repaired it for free, please vote YES.

If your machine has always worked perfectly with no hardware issues (except ones obviously caused by you, such as liquid damage), please vote NO.

I think the premise of getting a reliable statistics from a forums is very flawed. By their very nature people only respond to issues and surveys that interest them. So the bias of respondents would be for those that had issues. This response bias is one of the biggest issues in any survey.

imaccooper

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2014
North Carolina
I have three 2017s at work (and a 4th if you count the 2018 macbook air), all with different people. No issues with any of them. 2 of the pros are non-touchbar, the other is a touchbar model.

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
None of note. Minor software and backlight bleed issue with the 2018 15". 2016 12" MacBook was fine. 2017 13" nTB was also fine.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
You won't get any reliable statistics from this forum. From my side, we have around 25 2016 or later machines, so far 3 of them had this or other issue within the last 2.5 years and have been repaired under warranty by our service provider. This is consistent with earlier models.

Reactions: souko and Ehpehp

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I think the premise of getting a reliable statistics from a forums is very flawed. By their very nature people only respond to issues and surveys that interest them. So the bias of respondents would be for those that had issues. This response bias is one of the biggest issues in any survey.

But that's pretty much true of all surveys, and forum/blog polls.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I am on unit #5 and have had some issues with this one as well, "e" key became unresponsive. Infrequent reboots and shutdowns. So yeah, definitely have had problems with 2016 or newer MacBook Pro's

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
But that's pretty much true of all surveys, and forum/blog polls.

Sort of. In most survey's you try to accomplish a couple of things to ensure the validity of the survey. First, you ensure the surveyed population is representative, this is tough. Second, you perform statistical analysis to determine that you have enough representative samples to meet your defined confidence interval.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
2016 TB still going without anything happening so far, hoping if something is going to happen it will be within the year since my AppleCare runs out.

Reactions: SDColorado

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
2016 15" TB - Keyboard is failing, and curious popping/cracking sound while its in use (I think something in the top case is coming unglued)

Last edited:

miloslm

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2018
Numerous repairs for speaker blow-outs and sticky keys on the Macbook Pro 15" 2017. I lost count. It just happened again after my recent repair two weeks ago. My left speaker just died and i get almost no sound from the left side now.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
Wow 40% of people (at the time of this comment) had an issue.

I wish this poll was more informative such as: Yes: Staingate, Yes: keyboard issue, Yes: flexgate, Yes: screen wire failure (and etc)

I bet most of the issues were related to the keyboard!
[doublepost=1555296594][/doublepost]
2016 15" TB - Keyboard is failing, and curious popping/cracking sound while its in use (I think something in the top case is coming unglued)

Get the top case replaced for free with the free repair program!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Which repair program is that? I’m only aware of one for keyboards. I think this problem is near the hinge.
Apple has a keyboard repair program, given how they designed the laptop, you'll get a new top case with a new keyboard.

Reactions: seeforyourself

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
Which repair program is that? I’m only aware of one for keyboards. I think this problem is near the hinge.

Exactly what Maflynn said. Sometimes they MAY replace the display too. I damaged my hinge as well and when they replaced the keyboard, they also replaced the display as well (not sure if its because I had applecare+, though I did NOT have to pay that $100 deductible for accidental display damage).

parsonsmike

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2017

My 2016 went through 3 keyboards with dead keys, averaging about 4 months between failures, before I sold it.

The 2018 I have now has just started to have keys that aren't registering key presses, and I will be taking it in for replacement soon. The membrane in the 2018 has increased the lifespan of the keyboard, but it's still crap. I have been using keyboards since 1992, and the only keyboards I have used that have *ever * exhibited key failure are all apple butterfly keyboards.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Exactly what Maflynn said. Sometimes they MAY replace the display too. I damaged my hinge as well and when they replaced the keyboard, they also replaced the display as well (not sure if its because I had applecare+, though I did NOT have to pay that $100 deductible for accidental display damage).

If it is a warranty issues there in no deductible. Only accidents have deductible.

And I have yet to have to pay the deductible on anything with AppleCare. Even back in the day of non waterproof phones and a jump into a pool with a phone in my pocket. :oops:

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
If it is a warranty issues there in no deductible. Only accidents have deductible.

And I have yet to have to pay the deductible on anything with AppleCare. Even back in the day of non waterproof phones and a jump into a pool with a phone in my pocket. :oops:

I wish I could say that my wife and I have been that lucky, but we haven't. We have had to pay at least once, including an incident with her phone where it wasn't working properly and upon examination, they stated that the sensors had been triggered showing it had been exposed to water. She still doesn't know how or when it occurred as it had never been dropped into water, taken for a swim, or really exposed to any rain. She is actually pretty paranoid about rain with her phone. But still, it was triggered and they charged her the fee for replacement.

Mine I accidentally left in a jacket pocket that I didn't check before throwing it in the wash. I didn't mind that so much because I knew exactly what I did. But still, we have both had to pay, no leeway or exceptions made :)

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I wish I could say that my wife and I have been that lucky, but we haven't. We have had to pay at least once, including an incident with her phone where it wasn't working properly and upon examination, they stated that the sensors had been triggered showing it had been exposed to water. She still doesn't know how or when it occurred as it had never been dropped into water, taken for a swim, or really exposed to any rain. She is actually pretty paranoid about rain with her phone. But still, it was triggered and they charged her the fee for replacement.

Mine I accidentally left in a jacket pocket that I didn't check before throwing it in the wash. I didn't mind that so much because I knew exactly what I did. But still, we have both had to pay, no leeway or exceptions made :)

Did you have valid AppleCare at the time of the failure? I did, but there was no AppleCare+ with accident coverage back then. I walked in said the phone was broke, they checked my account for AC, and they handed me a new phone.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014

I accidentally damaged my hinge is what I'm saying and they replaced it under warranty.

Reactions: jerryk

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Did you have valid AppleCare at the time of the failure? I did, but there was no AppleCare+ with accident coverage back then. I walked in said the phone was broke, they checked my account for AC, and they handed me a new phone.

Yup. Valid Apple Care in both cases. They charged, I believe $79 at the time (2016), for replacement with AppleCare. Significantly more without.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.