Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Control Center Bluetooth/WiFi Toggle do you prefer?

• Total voters

rootee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
California
It’s terribly inconsistent though...

- airplane mode ON, toggles work as on/off
- airplane mode OFF toggles work as disconnect/connect

Why not add the 3D or long-press with either on/off or disconnect as choices? As a software engineer myself, I would have loved to hear the round-table discussions on this (awful) tradeoff choice!

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
I love the new control center feature. I especially love that when I have my wireless headphones connected, when i put it on airplane mode, it no longer automatically disconnects. When I would put it on airplane mode while my music was still playing, not only would it disconnect the bluetooth, but it would stop my music too. I love that it doesn't do that anymore.

rootee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
California
I love the new control center feature. I especially love that when I have my wireless headphones connected, when i put it on airplane mode, it no longer automatically disconnects. When I would put it on airplane mode while my music was still playing, not only would it disconnect the bluetooth, but it would stop my music too. I love that it doesn't do that anymore.
I suppose the airplane mode requirement of actually turning the radios off is a non-issue today, now that airlines have on board WiFi, and allow BT headphones even during takeoff.

I would have preferred a 3D or long-press option for either the disconnect, or on/off, then to just force the user into a totally new thing. The annoyance for me is that I prefer my radios to be off for privacy reasons; I don’t want my phone to be a “here I am” beacon for hackers or ad-based tracking.

kucharsk

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016
I love the new functionality; it was literally impossible to do something like this previously, you had to shut off WiFi or Bluetooth and remember to turn it back on later.
[doublepost=1505979949][/doublepost]
I suppose the airplane mode requirement of actually turning the radios off is a non-issue today, now that airlines have on board WiFi, and allow BT headphones even during takeoff.

I would have preferred a 3D or long-press option for either the disconnect, or on/off, then to just force the user into a totally new thing. The annoyance for me is that I prefer my radios to be off for privacy reasons; I don’t want my phone to be a “here I am” beacon for hackers or ad-based tracking.

Then shut them off in "Settings;" the "Settings" switches really do shut the features off or turn them on.

Reactions: jpn

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
iOS 11's version is literally the worst change they've made. I downgraded because of it, makes my phone pointless. Why can't Apple bloody give us the choice.

They have given us the choice. You can just go into Settings if you want to disable the Wifi/BlueTooth services completely, and you can use Control Centre to disconnect from specific devices.

We never had the choice before, it was disable/enable only.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I think the new control centre is great, however the crappy programming that keeps turning Bluetooth back on when I've turned it off is not, nor is the constantly "lit" Bluetooth indicator whether I'm connected to a device or not. Do Apple even test anything any more?

kucharsk

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016
I think the new control centre is great, however the crappy programming that keeps turning Bluetooth back on when I've turned it off is not, nor is the constantly "lit" Bluetooth indicator whether I'm connected to a device or not. Do Apple even test anything any more?

Define "turned it off."

Are you reassociating with the same device once you've tapped the button?

The only way to turn Bluetooth off is via the slider in "Settings," and that does not magically turn itself back on.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
They have given us the choice. You can just go into Settings if you want to disable the Wifi/BlueTooth services completely, and you can use Control Centre to disconnect from specific devices.

We never had the choice before, it was disable/enable only.

Drives me absolutely crazy, A swipe up without unlocking did the same thing before which is now a process of unlocking and going into settings. There is no choice to have the old functionality which worked well for many. They should have allowed for both.

kucharsk

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016
Drives me absolutely crazy, A swipe up without unlocking did the same thing before which is now a process of unlocking and going into settings. There is no choice to have the old functionality which worked well for many. They should have allowed for both.

Well I never used Control Center to do this before and they provided me with functionality that was impossible previously.

I get that your muscle memory will have to do something else, but do you really turn off WiFi or Bluetooth that often?

Reactions: yep-sure

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Define "turned it off."

Are you reassociating with the same device once you've tapped the button?

The only way to turn Bluetooth off is via the slider in "Settings," and that does not magically turn itself back on.

Yes, my mistake - myself and a colleague had been discussing our Bluetooth not turning off (as well as the icon now being permanently illuminated even when not connected, hence trying to toggle it in the first place) and I'd not read threads saying this was a "temporary" button.

That right there is a problem with the new iOS, not me - I had no way of knowing that toggling the BT icon off didn't turn it off, how would I? Where is the old intuitive "it just works"?

Reactions: motulist

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
How would you know? It's explicitly written into the iOS 11 User Guides available via iBooks and online.

https://help.apple.com/iphone/11/#/iph59095ec58

Wasn't the premise from the inception of iPhone that you wouldn't need to read instruction manuals because it's so intuitive? In what world does turning an icon for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth on or off not turn it on or off? That's the least intuitive implementation of a button.

kucharsk

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016
Wasn't the premise from the inception of iPhone that you wouldn't need to read instruction manuals because it's so intuitive? In what world does turning an icon for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth on or off not turn it on or off? That's the least intuitive implementation of a button.

That expectation today is a bit naive and limiting; ask anyone who's been driving cars for decades if they ever had to drive a Prius. :)

It's actually completely intuitive once you know what the buttons do (and is very welcome behavior, giving the ability to do things that I've wanted for years. I only wish the cellular button worked the same way and would drop you off flaky LTE connections in the same manner, dropping you to 4G.)

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
That expectation today is a bit naive and limiting; ask anyone who's been driving cars for decades if they ever had to drive a Prius. :)

It's actually completely intuitive once you know what the buttons do (and is very welcome behavior, giving the ability to do things that I've wanted for years. I only wish the cellular button worked the same way and would drop you off flaky LTE connections in the same manner, dropping you to 4G.)

Yeah, I get how it's a handy feature, some notification of "Temporarily disconnected from Office Router" or whatever would be useful to know what the button actually does though!

I liked the previous bluetooth icon that was greyed out when not connected and white when connected, I don't know why that's gone in favour of a permanently white icon, seems less useful surely?

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Well I never used Control Center to do this before and they provided me with functionality that was impossible previously.

I get that your muscle memory will have to do something else, but do you really turn off WiFi or Bluetooth that often?

Yes every single day. The new system is hopeless and requires me to turn it off all the time.

Why couldn't Apple add the new functionality without taking away the old (Eg long press to turn off wifi, short to disconnect).

Well done Apple for turning my phone into an annoying piece of rubbish. Luckily I downgraded.

Reactions: rootee and Kevenly

Kevenly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
The wrong planet.
There is never a time when I toggle WiFi or Bluetooth off that I want it to come back on automatically. Nor do I want it to only be "a little bit off". If I have to go to Settings to permanently turn it off, or use Airplane Mode to lose everything at once when sometimes I only want Bluetooth or Wifi off separately, then Control Panel is now completely useless to me.

This is completely asinine.
[doublepost=1505996251][/doublepost]
It’s terribly inconsistent though...

- airplane mode ON, toggles work as on/off
- airplane mode OFF toggles work as disconnect/connect

Why not add the 3D or long-press with either on/off or disconnect as choices? As a software engineer myself, I would have loved to hear the round-table discussions on this (awful) tradeoff choice!

I suspect it went something like this: "It's annoying that our ability to track and monitor everything our consumers do when they turn off network connectivity. Why did we make it easy like every other mobile device maker by including an easy to access button?" "Mistakes happen Bob, but we have a solution. We'll leave the buttons but they just won't do anything useful anymore. Their connections will automatically come back on despite their wishes. As usual we'll sell it as a feature for their benefit and the majority will fall in line. Going against Apple's dictates is un-hip, after all." "Excellent!"

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
Not to toally hi-jack the thread, but has anyone noticed that the Hot Spot toggle doesn't turn off Hot Spot either?

VERY annoying.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Not to toally hi-jack the thread, but has anyone noticed that the Hot Spot toggle doesn't turn off Hot Spot either?

VERY annoying.

I didn't even know there was a hotspot toggle in CC. Can't find one on my 7+. What does it look like?

With that said, even turning off hotspot completely in Settings will not prevent it from being seen on other devices signed into the same iCloud account. That's called Instant Hotspot, is intended behavior and isn't new to iOS 11.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
I didn't even know there was a hotspot toggle in CC. Can't find one on my 7+. What does it look like?

With that said, even turning off hotspot completely in Settings will not prevent it from being seen on other devices signed into the same iCloud account. That's called Instant Hotspot, is intended behavior and isn't new to iOS 11.

You have to long press the area where those toggles are in control center to get a bigger window that also shows air drop and perosnal hot spot.

Reactions: Feenician

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
You have to long press the area where those toggles are in control center to get a bigger window that also shows air drop and perosnal hot spot.

Doh! Thanks.

Anyway, point still stands there. Hotspot is always available on your other devices signed in on your account. If you disable it however (whether CC or Settings I think) it should not advertise the hotspot to machines of any flavor, not signed in as you. I believe this came in iOS 10 or maybe even 9.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.