Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Control Center Bluetooth/WiFi Toggle do you prefer?

• Total voters

kucharsk

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016
I love the way it works now; it's intuitive and incredibly useful.

It makes sense that a brute force on/off switch should be in settings as it's almost never needed.

Dropping the current connection is something I do daily.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I love the way it works now; it's intuitive and incredibly useful.

It makes sense that a brute force on/off switch should be in settings as it's almost never needed.

Dropping the current connection is something I do daily.

No, It makes no sense and it's not intuitive. It's usefulness depends on personal circumstance.

I turn off Wi-Fi at work because the internet speed is incredibly poor but at various periods throughout the day it comes back on, the poor internet speed does not change, I do not want it to come back on. The button for me worked perfectly as it was supposed to in previous incarnations.

I know for many here any criticism of Apple is sacrilege and not praising everything they do causes a meltdown but the functionality is changed from previously with no indication of that and turning a button "off" should be off. If it's "semi-off" then the button should just change colour or some other indicator - if I turn a light switch off I know it won't come back on in an hour. Maybe this new button functionality should dim on one press (temporary) and go off on two (permanent).

I have not yet found this version to have any benefit over the old one and this weekend the 4th iPhone user I know vented their frustration at me (as the more "techy" friend) about being sure they'd "turned Wi-Fi/Bluetooth off, but it keeps coming back on", they were not aware of a change, why would they be? Out of around 6 iPhone users I come into very regular contact with this would indicate a fair few people used and expected the old version to work the way it did and were happy with it.

Just put this as an OPTION in the settings for how the button behaves rather that forcing it on everyone or forcing anyone wishing to turn Wi-Fi or Bluetooth off to have to go through the settings every time.

Reactions: !!!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I wonder how many people would be outraged by this if Apple did this from the very introduction of the control center (and how many would still be in that boat years later).

kucharsk

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016
I wonder how many people would be outraged by this if Apple did this from the very introduction of the control center (and how many would still be in that boat years later).

Zero, because that would have been the way it "always worked" - I think that's the biggest gripe, especially for those who didn't bother to even skim the iOS 11 manual.

Yes, Apple was built on ease of use and not having to use the manual, but iOS 11 is still, at least to me, orders of magnitude easier to intuit than Android.

If you don't regularly connect to slow hotspots in retailers and the like, then perhaps the new functionality means nothing to you, but before to avoid that situation I would have to go into Settings and shut Wi-Fi off or use "Forget This Network" to get rid of the connection.

Having the button dissociate and having the toggles in Settings be real on/off switches is a great leap forward for me.

rootee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
California
Intuition is had from a long history of use, and given that toggle buttons are binary, they’ve historically had on/off as the choices. On/off toggle buttons are ubiquitous in the modern digital world, so tweaking that is naturally going to feel counter-intuitive, to a lot of people. Given the current poll numbers, it’s counter-intuitive to 2/3 of responders.
[doublepost=1506975701][/doublepost]
Zero, because that would have been the way it "always worked" - I think that's the biggest gripe, especially for those who didn't bother to even skim the iOS 11 manual.

Yes, Apple was built on ease of use and not having to use the manual, but iOS 11 is still, at least to me, orders of magnitude easier to intuit than Android.

If you don't regularly connect to slow hotspots in retailers and the like, then perhaps the new functionality means nothing to you, but before to avoid that situation I would have to go into Settings and shut Wi-Fi off or use "Forget This Network" to get rid of the connection.

Having the button dissociate and having the toggles in Settings be real on/off switches is a great leap forward for me.

I do generally read user manuals, because I like to know the details, but I strongly disagree that general iPhone users should have to read a manual to understand how the OS toggle buttons work.

Last edited:
Reactions: !!! and Jimrod

kucharsk

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016
I do generally read user manuals, because I like to know the details, but I strongly disagree that general iPhone users should have to read a manual to understand how the OS toggle buttons work.

Yes, but when something isn't working as you might expect, I would think the manual would be the first thing someone should check.

Polls aren't that meaningful as everyone who doesn't like it is voting but people who do in general have no incentive to.

rootee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
California
Yes, but when something isn't working as you might expect, I would think the manual would be the first thing someone should check.

Polls aren't that meaningful as everyone who doesn't like it is voting but people who do in general have no incentive to.
I think most people on this thread understand how the button is now working, and they still don’t like that it’s the only CC option available. Most people here that are for the 10.x on/off functionality, would be happy if Apple had just left it in CC, and simply added the new disconnect thing.

Great segue to next MR poll... “do you think polls are meaningful, yes, or no for now, just until you leave the building, and/or come across another poll at a different polling location that you may or may not want to participate in, in which you might have to answer no to that poll, until you ultimately get to the meaningful poll you REALLY wanted to vote yes in. Oh, and polling starts over if you happen to fall asleep, because we believe that after a good nights rest you’ll most surely be right and ready to begin polling again”. Confused? Not to worry, there will indeed be a handy reference manual available to guide you through said meaningful and intuitive poll.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimrod

kennybroh

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2017
They have given us the choice. You can just go into Settings if you want to disable the Wifi/BlueTooth services completely, and you can use Control Centre to disconnect from specific devices.

We never had the choice before, it was disable/enable only.

Unfortunately, that’s not the case. Disabling WI-FI in settings doesn’t work either—it just keeps turning back on as if you had done it in Control Center. And airplane mode is not a solution because it turns off cellular.

I’d be fine with the control center implementation if WI-FI could be turned off completely in settings.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I just can't get with the nature of the argument some apologists for Apple's positions make.

Day before iOS 11 was released:
'Apple is right. Listen to Apple. wifi and bluetooth button in Control Centre turns them off. We have always been at war with Eurasia.'

Day after iOS 11 was released:
'Apple is right. Listen to Apple. wifi and blutooth button in Control Centre disconnects only, doesn't turn them off. We have always been at war with Eastasia.'

OK, the doublethink thing might be laying it on thick, and I appreciate people are divided on what they want these buttons to do in CC - but really the 'it's the way it works so get over it' argument is especially specious, because a few weeks ago the same argument could be made except some of those wanting the button to disconnect would be presumably disagreeing with it, whereas now they are the proponents for it. Weird!

I just hope Apple gives everyone the option to choose to have the iOS 10 (and earlier) behaviour back in CC in some form in a future update. There's no good argument for not doing so, IHMO.

Reactions: Jimrod and oldmacs

hendrilei

Suspended
Feb 1, 2015
Guys, in order to automatic reconnect to our wifi with this “new feature”, should we turn on the “ask to join network” on setting ? - can anyone pls look into yours ? Do u turn it on ? (But i don’t want to be asked to connect to unknown network everytime it’s available)

Mine is not automatic reconnect to my home’s wifi now (when i turn off the wifi toggle outside home)

Confused .....

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
The thing I find most annoying is it’s still an open connection to my phone, and if I turn off Wi-Fi in CC, then 3 minutes later it decides to connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot, which I didn’t want. That’s why I turned it off. I don’t want to connect to Wi-Fi.

rsnhakan

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2014
The Netherlands
They should have made an option where you can assign a function to the buttons in control center. If you prefer connect/disconnect or on/off i.m.h.o you should be able to choose which one you want.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
I’m personally very, very, very (did I say very) annoyed by the new “disconnect” implementation of the Bluetooth and WiFi toggle switches in the latest iOS 11.0. I’d like to know how the good people of MacRumors feel about it.

Not sure why this matters, as Apple isn't going to change it back...

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
The nature of the problem here is that when Apple first implemented the Wifi & Bluetooth toggle in Control Center way back in iOS 7, it was to turn it off. Now in iOS 11, they changed the behaviour of THE SAME BUTTON to merely disconnect and not turn off.

And this CHANGE wasn't immediately obvious to the average end user, NOR was it properly explained by Apple during their keynote, NOR stated in the change-log, NOR did Apple state it in a simple welcome screen when users first open an app after a major update.

Users were pretty much kept in the dark when they upgraded to iOS 11, and - for the less technologically-adept - it could take a while before they realise the change.

What they should've done when they decided to implement this was to change the look of the toggles in CC somehow to indicate its changed function, SO AS NOT TO mislead users into thinking it was serving the same function as before.

At the very least, Apple should've either 1) stated the change to users, or 2) make it obvious in the toggles that there's a new change to the toggle action, instead of forcing it upon them without any disclosure.

I don't think Apple would implement a 3D touch for the toggle to alternate between 'turn off' and 'disconnect', because that would go against the original action of 3D touching the toggle platter to access more controls.

Right now, I think Apple should just give users an option to choose the action of the Wifi & Bluetooth button in Settings.

Reactions: Porco

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
new control panel leaves a lot to be desired. Turning my WiFi off means that I don't want info shared Why is it not completely off. Let me decide not Apple

This may change as Apple realizes this is a security issue. Time will tell with the updates

kucharsk

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016
new control panel leaves a lot to be desired. Turning my WiFi off means that I don't want info shared Why is it not completely off. Let me decide not Apple

This may change as Apple realizes this is a security issue. Time will tell with the updates

It’s not a security issue.

If your WiFi turns back on after being shut off in Settings (not via Control Center), congrats, you have a haunted iPhone or a failing screen digitizer.

Once shut off in Settings it does not reenable unless you reboot your phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.