Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which One?

• Total voters

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
What do you use to catalog your digital images?

I was using iPhoto 6, but today made the move to Aperture. I'm loving it so far, so many advanced features Apple's made so easy too use. It's truly amazing software - only in its first version.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I've been using Extensis Portfolio but it's such a pain that it's easier to keep track of them on my own, most of the time.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
i Use iPhoto, it is built for someone like me. I just want an easy way to load and view my images and tweak them a bit. I also like all the printing services, I use those quite a bit for presents, people love them.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Currently, I use Adobe Bridge to browse my serious photography, and I just keep them managed in folders, but I'm trying out Adobe Lightroom. It seems pretty nice, but it's just a beta version, and from what I hear, the fully developed version will be nothing like what it is now. If I had the money, I'd try Aperture, but I don't, and I'm not extremely serious about my photography, so it's not anything I really need.

I use iPhoto for all my other non-raw photos, and I've got quite a few at that. Last I tried, my Canon S50's raw format wasn't supported by iPhoto, and I prefer to use Adobe Raw to open and manage them.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Almost same as iGary - Portfolio for clients, currently iView for me. I'll upgrade to Aperture once the kinks are ironed out.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Was using Adobe Bridge until I purchased Aperture. Still getting used to Aperture but it's a very powerful program and I think it will more than meet my needs.

I also have downloaded the beta of Lightroom, but haven't played around in it too much yet, and after I installed iLife 06 experimented some with iPhoto, which up until now I had flat-out refused to use because of the limitations the earlier versions of the program had set on organization of one's images. I think I'll probably wind up using Aperture most of the time with iPhoto here-and-there for more casual shots.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
kwajo.com said:
Aperture and Adobe Bridge for me. haven't decided which I like better

I would think Aperture is better for managing digital photos. Bridge was made as an all around file browser to work with all Adobe CS applications, and really has nothing specifically tailored for digital photography. That is why Adobe is creating Lightroom, so that they can have a product to compete with Aperture.

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
G4scott said:
I would think Aperture is better for managing digital photos. Bridge was made as an all around file browser to work with all Adobe CS applications, and really has nothing specifically tailored for digital photography. That is why Adobe is creating Lightroom, so that they can have a product to compete with Aperture.

Lightroom won't go anywhere without crop...

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Public Poll... nice... :)

I'm using iPhoto, for now. I'm not too happy about it, but it's there, it's convenient, and cheap... I probably will go for another solution later... so I'm most likely not upgrading to '06 anytime soon, (especially since the EDU price for iLife '06 is more than double what '05 used to be...)

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Public Poll... nice... :)

I'm using iPhoto, for now. I'm not too happy about it, but it's there, it's convenient, and cheap... I probably will go for another solution later... so I'm most likely not upgrading to '06 anytime soon, (especially since the EDU price for iLife '06 is more than double what '05 used to be...)

You'd probably be a lot happier with iPhoto 6. I didn't upgrade to iLife '05, so I came straight from 4 to 6 and it's a huge improvement.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I voted for Aperture. Though its a bit rough right now, maybe in version 2.0 they'll fix a lot of current problems (like the ability to sync the library with iPod Photo & Video, make it's library available for use in iApps' Media Browser etc.)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
FadeToBlack said:
You'd probably be a lot happier with iPhoto 6. I didn't upgrade to iLife '05, so I came straight from 4 to 6 and it's a huge improvement.
The problem is space...

I'm struggleing to keep more than 6 GB free on my iBook's 60 GB HD, and I've heard some horror stories about the size of some of the apps in iLife '06. So, until I can afford a new laptop (or a desktop, that can double as file server for our laptops) I'm probably gonna use iPhoto for organizing and Photoshop (or maybe even Seashore) for editing.

Once I get a camera shooting RAW images, then the game changes... ;)

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
The problem is space...

I'm struggleing to keep more than 6 GB free on my iBook's 60 GB HD, and I've heard some horror stories about the size of some of the apps in iLife '06. So, until I can afford a new laptop (or a desktop, that can double as file server for our laptops) I'm probably gonna use iPhoto for organizing and Photoshop (or maybe even Seashore) for editing.

Once I get a camera shooting RAW images, then the game changes... ;)

Ahhh, I see. I only have a 60GB HD, too, but I don't have it nearly filled up yet. I have 27.2GB free. But yeah, iLife does take up a lot of space and if you're struggling to keep more than 6GB free, then you probably shouldn't upgrade. :D

Once you start taking RAW photos, you're probably gonna need a lot more space than 60GB. :D

Thomas S

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2004
I bought Aperture, but don't use it due to the fact that it doesn't support my Fuji S2 or my Nikon D200 :(.

Maybe there is a work-around for the S2, but right now I'm playing with the Adobe Lightroom beta and I personally think its pretty cool.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'd like to know how Aperture compares to Lightroom. I only have lightroom so I can't speak for myself.

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
Me too, Jessica. I'd love to hear some comparisons. Anyway, as of now, I use iPhoto 6, but I am considering purchasing Aperture.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I currently use Aperture (love it 110%) and have played around with the Lightroom beta.

The Aperture interface seems cleaner and it handles RAW files faster. From what I've seen, Lightroom performs better on slower machines, and Aperture is the better performer on faster machines. (For both, more than 1GB RAM is a necessity.) 2GB of RAM can make up for a slower processor with digital photo editing.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
carletonmusic said:
I currently use Aperture (love it 110%) and have played around with the Lightroom beta.

The Aperture interface seems cleaner and it handles RAW files faster. From what I've seen, Lightroom performs better on slower machines, and Aperture is the better performer on faster machines. (For both, more than 1GB RAM is a necessity.) 2GB of RAM can make up for a slower processor with digital photo editing.
That is good to know. I only have a powerbook 1.67 so lightroom is my choice, but I know I'll be buying a powermac towards the end of the year or around this time next year so I want to keep up to date with the products and how they compare to one another.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
iPhoto + CS2 (though, to open RAW in CS2 i have to find the actual SRF in Finder ... iPhoto converts it to JPEG).

Anyone know if Aperature supports Sony's RAW format (SRF)? I wasnt to use Aperature, but i do so much compisiting i'm not sure i can justify the cost ... though with more (better?) RAW options in the front end i could cut out some compositing.

peace | neut

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Glenn Wolsey said:
What do you use to catalog your digital images?.

I'm using iPhoto. I found that you really need to develope a "system" with iPhoto and stick to it. My system makes full use of ketwords, comments and smart albums in folders.

I use Image capture to import the phots from the camera to a folder with a name like "2006_03_25". I'll delete the junk and then go to iPhoto and import the folder into iPhoto library. I tell it to copy the file into the library so now I have the files in two systems and so the files are backed up as part of the download/import process. Next I asign keywords, comments and rattings. and do a first pass at minor changes and crops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.