Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which One?

• Total voters

NinjaMonkey

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
I use Lightroom and iPhoto 6.

I make edits to my RAW files in Lightroom, then convert to JPG and import to iPhoto. To save HD space I backup the RAW files periodically to an external HD and a DVD, then delete them off my machine.

This seems to work well for me for now. I'd love to try Aperture but I need a machine that can run it first.

SpAtZ

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
NY
Aperture will be universal by the end of this month correct? Does any one have an idea of how well it will run on my mbp?

SpAtZ

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
NY
Hmm maybe the one in my signature was not specific enough.

15.4-inch TFT display with 1440x900 resolution
2.0GHz Intel Core Duo with 2MB shared L2 Cache
667MHz frontside bus
2GB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
100GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory

Anyone think it is safe to get it here:http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Aperture-...oryZ3801QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

RockyOne

macrumors newbie
Using iView to cattle dog my 18,500 pix. Australia.

I am happy with iView and can find one pix out of the 18,500 in just a few secs. Have used it for five yrs at least. Now M/S own it, it still appears it will work on Mac's fine. After all,we pay our $ when necc. (Anyway, I like many, have Windows to use on my Intel MiniMac etc in Parallels for the odd occasion) I also play around with latest iPhoto but like iView because it does not have too many 'frills' just all the magic tools we need.
What do you use to catalog your digital images?

I was using iPhoto 6, but today made the move to Aperture. I'm loving it so far, so many advanced features Apple's made so easy too use. It's truly amazing software - only in its first version.

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
haha, this is fun. An older poll, new for me though.

I am using the older version of iPhoto (06) - I find it suits my needs. I also use the iPhoto Library Manager app and it has made using iPhoto much more organized. I can easily switch libraries, which means I can archive older photos or photos I don't want to toss, but don't want cluttering my main libraries.

I don't think I will upgrade to iPhoto 08, just because it seems to have been "dumbed down"

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I voted for Aperture. Though its a bit rough right now, maybe in version 2.0 they'll fix a lot of current problems (like the ability to sync the library with iPod Photo & Video, make it's library available for use in iApps' Media Browser etc.)

The do that already. You can view your Aperture previews in all of the iApps media browsers, and if you set your library to be referenced you can access all of your images from just about any Application whatsoever, even Lightroom and not take up any more space than necessary.

I would like to sync my library with my iPod, but I kinda do that already since I reference the images. My list of improvements to Aperture mainly include offline image editing and an Aperture Lite that could be used for journalists. We usually have our images toned by someone else, all we need to do is look through them real quick to make selects, caption them, then upload a JPEG to the server. That last part is what Bridge and View NX can't do, so it's Photo Mechanic for now.

I use Bridge a lot to view my images, but may switch to View NX since it's more photo oriented, but doesn't have the ability to view anything but photos. Bridge gives me a look see at EVERYTHING. I love View NX because the UI is actually right on the mark for speed and simplicity, I hope Capture NX gets that, (I am going to give it another try).

Aperture for me. It may be slow for some, but it's a speed demon for me, and it's far more robust than any other app of it's kind (including the ones in this list, and many others that i have played with) The biggest kink for me is offline editing.

eddx

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
Where is Lightroom on this list, clearly Lightroom is the best post processing software for digital photographers

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
Lightroom for now, but if Apple ever gets around to releasing Aperture 2.0, chances are I'll be all over it.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
iPhoto ftw. I love the new iphoto, though with my older images its a pain in the ass to organzie because the dates are all wrong :S but other than that and those, its great

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Lightroom for now, but if Apple ever gets around to releasing Aperture 2.0, chances are I'll be all over it.

That and they give us some really useful features that neither app has now. Offline image editing, simple graphical browser (Bridge/View NX) or Aperture Lite, U point editing, and maybe something that I haven't thought of yet.

I know that the iPhoto gallery features will be there with Flash support, and some of the graphical eye candy that some may want.

jhsfosho

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Houston, TX
I really like the upgrades in iPhoto 7. But Im not a professional, and just use it for organization and cropping. Red eye reduction every once in awhile. If I get really crazy i might adjust the brightness and contrast.

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
That and they give us some really useful features that neither app has now. Offline image editing, simple graphical browser (Bridge/View NX) or Aperture Lite, U point editing, and maybe something that I haven't thought of yet.

I know that the iPhoto gallery features will be there with Flash support, and some of the graphical eye candy that some may want.

I have been dying to ask, and please forgive me if it is a stupid question ( I googled and couldn't find any info) but what is offline image editing?

As for Aperture Lite, I might like something like that. Sort of like PS Elements. LOL

Thanks!

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I have been dying to ask, and please forgive me if it is a stupid question ( I googled and couldn't find any info) but what is offline image editing?

As for Aperture Lite, I might like something like that. Sort of like PS Elements. LOL

Thanks!

I don't know if offline images editing can be found online, but that is what I call editing your images in Aperture when only the preview is available. I have a library that is about 9000 images deep and carrying them with me all the time isn't an option. I put them on my tower and reference them in Aperture.

If I am away and need an image real quick but have to edit it first I have to re-link the image then edit it, even it all I want to do is crop it. Now I know that it would be hard to duplicate tonal adjustments or other with just a low res preview but i would like Aperture to at least let me make basic adjustments like cropping, straightening, spot/patch, etc. And maybe make some color adjustments and give me a warning about how it's the preview and not the actual file and my color won't be very accurate.

That would be okay if I just wanted to crop, etc. I thought LR could do that when I switched over to it my second time but alas, it performed just like Aperture did, so after two months I moved back to Aperture.

Exactly, Aperture Lite would just be the browser/very basic image editing, application like Bridge or iPhoto but just not as deep. I would be able to view other application projects like work from FCP, Illustrator, etc. and I would be able to do some very simple image editing to RAW files and JPEGs without having to launch Photoshop or Aperture. Real quick journalism work to, like batch captioning, and exif data input as well.

Then once I make my selects in Ap Lite I can hit a button and the images I want would be dragged into Aperture. Right now Bridge works fine, but exif can't be imported into Aperture from Bridge. View NX looks to be a worthy replacement but it can't view other graphic/image/video files, so may not last very long on my very small HDD.

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
I currently use iView media Pro. I like the way it organizes photos but I was wondering if anyone knows if Aperture can be used a similar way?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I currently use iView media Pro. I like the way it organizes photos but I was wondering if anyone knows if Aperture can be used a similar way?

It depends.... what way does iView do it?

Aperture 2.0 is out, and there doesn't seem to be an option to edit images based on their low res previews but I do like the new UI, the new shortcuts, and the much improved full screen feature. They are making it harder for me to use anything else.

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
For what use? it's a very vague question. for photo editing, then Photoshop, no question. No other program comes close. Are you talking about shooting in RAW or JPEG? If Jpeg, I am perfectly fine with iphoto, but if I am shooting in RAW, I can't use iphoto. So really, it all comes down to needs.

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
For what use? it's a very vague question. for photo editing, then Photoshop, no question. No other program comes close. Are you talking about shooting in RAW or JPEG? If Jpeg, I am perfectly fine with iphoto, but if I am shooting in RAW, I can't use iphoto. So really, it all comes down to needs.

I use it for organization. I like the ability to quickly and easily group photos together. i.e. I've have a huge list of people and then events and whatnot. So i can quickly go through a vacation and assign tags to who is in each picture.

The problem with iView is that it seems to keep dropping photos and I have noticed that I am loosing pictures so I am looking for an alternative.

iPhoto is okay, events are nice. But there isn't really a good way to catalog people, places ect.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I use it for organization. I like the ability to quickly and easily group photos together. i.e. I've have a huge list of people and then events and whatnot. So i can quickly go through a vacation and assign tags to who is in each picture.

The problem with iView is that it seems to keep dropping photos and I have noticed that I am loosing pictures so I am looking for an alternative.

iPhoto is okay, events are nice. But there isn't really a good way to catalog people, places ect.

Aperture and keywords. It works about the same way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.