Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBP 2021 So how does your keyboard feel ? Which manufacturer made yours ?

• Total voters

Love-hate šŸ relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
As there are apparently two different keyboard manufacturers ,with two different set of kb ,I'm curious to know the percentage of of distribution

#1 firm and rather dry,shorter key travel,not as smooth

#2 longer key travel,smoother , less firm obviously (I'd say it's the superior one )

#1-bis is a mess ,because one cannot delete nor modify polls on Mac rumors lol.dont vote that pls

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hmorneau

jabbr

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
my keys are pretty firm, feels great to me. Maybe this is the 'mechanical-like' keyboard they refer to in the keynote.

Reactions: souko

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
my keys are pretty firm, feels great to me. Maybe this is the 'mechanical-like' keyboard they refer to in the keynote.
the company said that the return of physical function keys brings back the "familiar, tactile feel of mechanical keys that pro users love."

If that's what u mean I don't think it's related .they are just talking about the touchbar removal

Reactions: jabbr

osx'r

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2007
Not sure how to respond to the poll, but I found the MBP 13ā€ kb to be better.

However, neither hold a candle to the iPad Pro Magic Keyboard.

Reactions: chrismu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
Not sure how to respond to the poll, but I found the MBP 13ā€ kb to be better.

However, neither hold a candle to the iPad Pro Magic Keyboard.
The poll compares the two different kb you might ecounter on a MBP 2021.i agree it's hard to answer lol

Uhuh ,ipad keyboard is better you say ?

Also in what area/why was the MBP 13 better ??

osx'r

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2007
The poll compares the two different kb you might ecounter on a MBP 2021.i agree it's hard to answer lol

Uhuh ,ipad keyboard is better you say ?

Also in what area/why was the MBP 13 better ??
I find the keys on the 14ā€ to rattle more, and Iā€™m often catching my fingertips on the edge of the keys (which sometimes lifts them). Visually, they seem to have more light leakage around the keys in comparison. Have had this happen on two or three different units, as compared to the two 13ā€ that I test drove.

w.r.t. the iPad pro, the keys are stiffer and I like the feel/sound best of all (well, next to the 2013 MBA, that is).

cal1

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2021
I use an external Magic Keyboard because I can't stand not having Home & End keys.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
What? here we go. I'm curious if the same thing will happen like with the A8 chip where people were trying to get the TSMC one.
Okay I stop it there ,i ain't sure that's true ,however that's the theory that came out of a discussion in this forum i trust.and honestly i can't believe the two keyboards come from the same manufacturer.try it for yourself in an apple store and u'll get what I'm talking about
Feels like two different machines

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
S
What? here we go. I'm curious if the same thing will happen like with the A8 chip where people were trying to get the TSMC one.
Didn't know about the A8,that looks like something to read Tonight lol,such fun

I think however that it been confirmed there are two display manufacturers ,am i wrong ?

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
I find the keys on the 14ā€ to rattle more, and Iā€™m often catching my fingertips on the edge of the keys (which sometimes lifts them). Visually, they seem to have more light leakage around the keys in comparison. Have had this happen on two or three different units, as compared to the two 13ā€ that I test drove.

w.r.t. the iPad pro, the keys are stiffer and I like the feel/sound best of all (well, next to the 2013 MBA, that is).
Sounds like u have #1 then ,same as me lol

Im not sure whether my MBA wasn't better than that tbh ...

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
Ok .i forgot that i had called apple(not just for this ofc lol)and they did confirm this ,also got a confirmation from genius bar about the display . however he refused to disclose the names lmao

chrismu

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2021
I disagree the Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro and the new 2021 MacBook Pro are neck and neck in my opinion.
Very subjective probably, I stopped using the 12.9 inch iPad Pro, because the OS was so limited for my use, but I still think it is the best keyboard ever. Just something about the construction of the Magic Keyboard case makes it feel "hollow" almost, idk, as I said, it's very subjective, but I feel like it is a slight step above all other keyboards on Apple products in terms of the feel. But hey, I also kinda liked the feel of the butterfly keyboard, so what do I know?

Reactions: iamMacPerson

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Haha ,well I'm not a native but those adjectives speak to me ,so to say.dont they make sense to you ?

My apologies. I was joking around, but I wasn't trying to make fun of you. I forget there are a lot of people here who aren't native English speakers.

I think the word you're looking for is "crisp" not "dry".

One keyboard has a crisper feel and is more tactile. This is consistent with having less travel. One keyboard has a more springy feel and smoother press which is consistent with more travel.

Mine is the crisp variety, which makes me happy because I like tactile keyboards. I had a 13" M1 MBP for a couple of weeks that had the smoother keyboard. I liked that too, but I prefer this more tactile version.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Very subjective probably, I stopped using the 12.9 inch iPad Pro, because the OS was so limited for my use, but I still think it is the best keyboard ever.

It could also be that we're all trying different versions of the same keyboard. I wasn't aware there were more than one version of the M1x MBP keyboard. I can't resist keyboards and I went and tried out nearly every Magic Keyboard on display in the Apple Store and found the feel in some of them to be quite different. I always just assumed that some of them were more broken in than others, but it seems that's only half of the story.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
My apologies. I was joking around, but I wasn't trying to make fun of you. I forget there are a lot of people here who aren't native English speakers.

I think the word you're looking for is "crisp" not "dry".

One keyboard has a crisper feel and is more tactile. This is consistent with having less travel. One keyboard has a more springy feel and smoother press which is consistent with more travel.

Mine is the crisp variety, which makes me happy because I like tactile keyboards. I had a 13" M1 MBP for a couple of weeks that had the smoother keyboard. I liked that too, but I prefer this more tactile version.
Very nice of you to apologize i must say

I figured you were joking tbf ,but there can always be a a part of cynism so who knows .still didn't get hurt at all tho !

Hmmm I hear that,but since I was looking for a rather pejorative adjective,I'm not sure crisp would have fit it haha

Interesting,i can totally understand why you'd prefer a more tactile ,reactive feel.youre saying you had that on your MBP 13? Never heard/seen anything about smooth mbp13 keyboard tbh

As a comparison i had the MBA M1 ,which was firm an reactive .this new mbp14 kb feels ...idk it's hard to describe .its key travel is defo longer.it doesn't hurt as much as the MBA (i type hard ) .still it isn't that smooth ...the MBA had short travel and was reactive .this mbp14 does also have a short travel ,only it doesn't feel as reactive ...so how can it be ? Well it feels dry,sorry to persist with this word lol,but overall the typing experience is worst of both worlds.not smooth like other units ,not reactive like MBA/MBP m1

Also it sucks we can't truly delete posts/polls on Mac rumors ,nor even modify them...looks like i messed the polls up lol

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
It could also be that we're all trying different versions of the same keyboard. I wasn't aware there were more than one version of the M1x MBP keyboard. I can't resist keyboards and I went and tried out nearly every Magic Keyboard on display in the Apple Store and found the feel in some of them to be quite different. I always just assumed that some of them were more broken in than others, but it seems that's only half of the story.
Let us know if u get to try several m1x units (in an apple store or at GearBest for example) ,I'm really curious to have your take on it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.