Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBP 2021 So how does your keyboard feel ? Which manufacturer made yours ?

• Total voters

ahurst

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2021
Not sure what the manufacturer is for mine, but my 14ā€ MBPā€˜s keyboard is pretty good. Thereā€™s no key wiggle (like some earlier chiclet MacBook keyboards) but it has more travel and feedback than the earlier butterfly switches. My main issue with it is that the keys are firm enough that itā€™s tiring for me to type on for long periods, but other than that itā€™s nice!

I donā€™t think itā€™s my favorite laptop keyboard of all time (thatā€™s either the 12ā€ PowerBook G4 or the ThinkPad X220, both of which have wonderful pre-chiclet scissor switch designs), but as far I know you canā€™t get a keyboard like that on a laptop anymore. Given the form factor and competition, Iā€™m pretty happy with it.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
My main issue with it is that the keys are firm enough that itā€™s tiring for me to type on for long periods, but other than that itā€™s nice!

I found that to be true with the 13" M1 MBP that I briefly had. My hands hurt the first week I used it.

The keys on my 16" M1 Pro aren't as stiff. For now they're just about perfect. I just hope they don't get looser over time.

I donā€™t think itā€™s my favorite laptop keyboard of all time (thatā€™s either the 12ā€ PowerBook G4 or the ThinkPad X220, both of which have wonderful pre-chiclet scissor switch designs)

Does the ThinkPad X220 have the benefit of PBT keycaps?

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2014
Iā€™ve used/tested at least 6 different macbook air/pro keyboards since 2020, as well as the ipad pro magic keyboard, and honestly they all felt slightly different with their own specific characteristic. I think keyboards, being entirely moving parts and all, will virtually all be different somehow.

So as long as everything works and you donā€™t hate the way it feels, then iā€™d say your keyboard is fine and one should just move on.

Alexander_im

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
Iā€™ve had 4 different MPBā€™s over the last six years: 2015, 2017 (second-gen butterfly), 2020 (Magic Keyboard) and now 14ā€. The latter is by far the best one I ever used. I agree with some of the posters above though: 12.9 Magic Keyboard feels amazing, but Iā€™m all over in the new one tbh

ahurst

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2021
I found that to be true with the 13" M1 MBP that I briefly had. My hands hurt the first week I used it.

The keys on my 16" M1 Pro aren't as stiff. For now they're just about perfect. I just hope they don't get looser over time.

[...]

Does the ThinkPad X220 have the benefit of PBT keycaps?
I've never actually owned a butterfly-keyboard MacBook (I just have experience from friends/family's machines) so it probably is less stiff than before, just stiffer that what I'm used to! I'm sure my motor memory will adapt over the next month or so to make it more comfortable.

As for the X220, I don't think it has PBT caps. The main things it has going for it are that a) the key presses are light-but-tactile, with the press requiring little effort but the rebound having a satistfying spring, and b) the keycaps are close together (i.e. non-chiclet) and have lightly-curved tops like a desktop keyboard, meaning your fingers just settle into the keys.

By contrast, the 14" MBP keys take more effort to press, have less spring-back (likely on account of lower travel), and are much more flat than the ThinkPad keys so your fingers don't just effortlessly find their place (I have both in front of me right now and did a side-by-side comparison). Again, I think the 14" MBP's keyboard is pretty good (definitely a step up over the butterfly boards and most chiclets I've tried, including newer ThinkPad keyboards), the X220's keyboard is just something special from a bygone era.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.