Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nvidia or AMD?

• Total voters

faneos

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
The only drawback I can think of is a higher cost and that doesn't concern me if I'm getting the best possible component available today. However, I think Apple still has a contract with AMD and won't be shifting any time soon when they get custom
Why the higher cost?We already pay premium prices for Mac computers.They obliged to use the best gpu's avalaible.Pascal architecture is extreme efficient is the ideal gpu's for new iMac's.Apple contract is with customers and their needs.

Reactions: jblagden

Georgio

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Essex, UK
Still running my 2012 iMac with NVidia 680MX GPU, works faultlessy and I will not be giving Apple any more of my money for a new iMac until they stop cheapening the iMacs with subpar components, see the light and get back to NVidia for the next refresh.

Trahearne

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2014
Why the higher cost?We already pay premium prices for Mac computers.They obliged to use the best gpu's avalaible.Pascal architecture is extreme efficient is the ideal gpu's for new iMac's.Apple contract is with customers and their needs.
... which means Nvidia gonna price it higher even at the same performance because they have the edge. Not saying Apple should not offer it as an extra option though. On the other hand, despite still falling behind in power efficiency, latest AMD offerings are competitive with a narrowed gap as compared to its situation in 2015/16. Somehow Apple still stays with AMD in MBPs, too.

Last edited:

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013

Apple work to a profit margin. Nvidia GPUs are more expensive. Prices would increase.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why the higher cost?We already pay premium prices for Mac computers.
You're right and we're paying a higher price for certain components. Change those components, i.e., use more expensive ones and they'll increase the price to cover the high overhead.

They obliged to use the best gpu's avalaible.Pascal architecture is extreme efficient is the ideal gpu's for new iMac's.Apple contract is with customers and their needs.
No they're not, they're not obliged to do anything, they choose to provide GPUs that they feel meets the needs of the majority and so far that has worked for them.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
Nvidia all the way. At least nvidia has a web driver for macs now, whereas AMD tend to release and forget and doesn't have mac support as well as the fact Apple is godawful keeping drivers and such up to date. But won't happen since nvidia and Apple are feuding or have been. Unsure if they patched things up but doubtful.

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2013
Nvidia all the way. At least nvidia has a web driver for macs now, whereas AMD tend to release and forget and doesn't have mac support as well as the fact Apple is godawful keeping drivers and such up to date. But won't happen since nvidia and Apple are feuding or have been. Unsure if they patched things up but doubtful.

Yeah, Nvidia has always been really good about drivers. Unfortunately, they don't make Pascal drivers for OS X.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You don't have to be an electronic engineer to understand that in a computer that's so restrict in terms of cooling and power draw you can't put an inefficient amd gpu.iMac considered a media creation computer and
majority use Adobe Creation Suite that amd has performance and compability issues due to poor optimized drivers and incapable hardware.Also people want to play games in their Mac's why go with a gpu that is throttling and underperforming?

I can't find everything aligning with this but m395x has a TDP of 125-150, 1080m has a TDP of 150-180. The trade off clearly being raw power. Without a redesign matters would only get worse of you when it comes to heat (which imo a redesign isn't unreasonable to accompandate the hardware within, almost like "duuhh"). A revision to Polaris would be even better.

Note, I said "I can't find everything aligning" because GPUBoss says the m395x is 250w. However I find that unlikely considering that Apple reports lower power usage for the entire system (CPU, monitor, SSD/HDD, etc etc).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.