Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
That's not the consumer's fault. Developers (and Apple) should have priced their goods and services properly from the get go. Any business student will tell you it's VERY hard to raise your prices after customers get used to a certain price point.

I agree and exactly the reason I added the following in the first sentence:

it was a race to the bottom by developers and essentially they shot themselves hard in the foot by doing so.

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm very happy about this. I love Fantastical 2 on the iPhone and have been waiting patiently for it's iPad release.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
The whole issue with the 'App Pricing Model' was that from the start it was a race to the bottom by developers and essentially they shot themselves hard in the foot by doing so.

I'm an App Developer myself and I'm not totally convinced people realise exactly what goes into developing an app, it's incredibly time consuming and hard work, especially when you take a look at something like Fantastical. It may seem pretty straight forward to do a calendar app but I can assure you that although it make look easy it certainly isn't.

People's expectations on what they will pay for software now is completely bonkers! Most people complain if they have to spend more than $5 on that's essentially ridiculous for the amount of time spend on developing it...presuming it's a decent app of course.

I appreciate we are in a different phase now and software is becoming cheaper by the day but I'm still yet to figure out how the developer can make a sensible return on their investment....it will be interesting to see how it pans out but at the moment it's perfect for the consumer but awful for the developers.

Yup this not a consumer issue, its a developer's issue, anyway....
This calander app is nice no doubt about it, however its overpriced period. Ultimately its up to the consumer to decide if they want to hand over the extra dough for this app. I'd love to have the app myself but never ever at the price they're asking, not while I have a passable stock one that works.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Yup this not a consumer issue, its a developer's issue, anyway....
This calander app is nice no doubt about it, however its overpriced period. Ultimately its up to the consumer to decide if they want to hand over the extra dough for this app. I'd love to have the app myself but never ever at the price they're asking.

This is a developers issue although you could look at it as being short sighted because it could quite easily become a consumer issue if there is no money in developing software.

Whilst consumers insist on wanting something for nothing or extremely little it could soon be the shoe on the other foot.

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
I find the iOS 7 design of Fantastical one of the most unappealing redesigns I've seen.

Frankly I don't think it is an "iOS 7" design. I absolutely hate the iOS 7 design of the Apple calendar, especially on the iPhone. The Fantastical apps are great and well worth the money. Love the new version for the iPad. I hope they expand the version for the Mac. Then I can completely stop using the Apple calendar in OSX.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
This is a developers issue although you could look at it as being short sighted because it could quite easily become a consumer issue if there is no money in developing software.

Whilst consumers insist on wanting something for nothing or extremely little it could soon be the shoe on the other foot.

True but the developers aren't providing us with necessities like water and energy, so for this reason we consumers will very quickly get over it if the resources are no longer there i.e. if developers self destructed. Remember its all fluff, In the end life will go on with or without them people will carry on and make due with stock apps.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I ended up getting Fantastical for Mac with a bundle of other apps that I really wanted. I think it works well as a menubar widget to quickly see my calendar at a glance. Beyond that I don't much use it, and I probably wouldn't pay for it on it's own.

Even though I probably wouldn't use this particular app, I really wish Apple would make stock apps replaceable with a new API to handle mail, calendars, maps, etc. The biggest problem is 3rd party apps, the general iOS and Siri don't hook into these 3rd party apps. If there was some software layer in-between that Apple developed to handle sending them to the right location then that would be great. When you launch an app for the first time, it could ask you if you want to use it instead of the stock app. As long as it doesn't keep asking, it could be handled like location services in settings letting you manage everything from one location.

Kinda off-topic: I wish if I refused location services for a certain website, it wouldn't be allowed to keep asking me on subsequent visits. Or at least time out after a month! I don't like giving Google my GPS coordinates when I browse Google News. They creep me out.

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel
That's interesting because I think exactly the opposite. In fact I was a fan of the Apple Calendar on all my devices until the iOS 7 changes and now I can't stand it, I think it's too difficult to understand what's happening in my diary and the very reason I tried Fantastical as a replacement.
Overall I like iOS 7, it's just the calendar I can't work with.

That's too funny. Now that split view is back the 2 are almost identical in looks.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I think Apple's calendar solution is 100% perfect already. I can't believe people are spending $40 to replace what Apple offers with a different product on all their devices.

It's not perfect if you just want to glance at a month and see if you are already booked for another client on the day they are requesting. The default calendar USED to do that with notes on the bottom but the iOS 7 calendar doesn't. I can't tell what those dots mean until I dig down and scroll around. That's why I bought Fantastical. To get the event notes back.

EDIT: Just read that split view is back. Thought I was good at keeping up with these things!

Last edited:

PrsnSingh

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2014
Why are people wasting money on calendar apps? The calendar app on iOS is amazing and it just works.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
That's too funny. Now that split view is back the 2 are almost identical in looks.

Wow, I didn't know split view was back until I read this. Thanks! Now I guess I don't need Fantastical like I used to. :p Although the color-coded dots and being able to keep scrolling though the events over several days is still a nice feature the default calendar doesn't offer.

Last edited:

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Why are people wasting money on calendar apps? The calendar app on iOS is amazing and it just works.

The calendar app that shipped with the original iOS 7.0 release was far from "amazing" and Flexibits, to their credit, took full advantage of that opportunity with Fantasical for the iPhone.

That said, I'm still not paying $10 or $15 for an iPad app over and above the cost of Fantasical 2.0 for iPhone.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I like Fantastical well enough, I use it on my phone. And I'm not averse to paying for apps (I use OmniFocus which is $19.99). But $15 for a calendar app seems like a lot. Especially if it's basically a larger version of the phone app at 3x the price. All that being said, I use the calendar on my phone, not on my iPad, so I have no problem skipping it. I probably would have bought it if were around $5 though.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
$10 for a calendar app on the iPad? I was literally running to my iPad to buy this app because my girlfriend loved the iPhone app I bought her. $10 ($15 after sale) is extreme. Just...no. $5.99 and under, then I'll buy it.

This is the problem with the race-to-the-bottom pricing standard on the App Store. 10$ used to be a steal for a quality app. Is Fantasical 10$-quality? I don't know, but devs deserve to be paid.

andrea81

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2013
so, after rationalizing why I wouldn't buy it, I ended up reading the extended review on Mac Stories and then clicking the "buy" button :rolleyes:

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Love Fantastical for iPhone and Mac, but that price is simply too much, so no iPad version for me. :)

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
What a pity.. I would have got it if it has a similar or slightly higher price with the iPhone version, like what Tweetbot did (by the way where is Tweetbot's iPad version?)

----------

This is the problem with the race-to-the-bottom pricing standard on the App Store. 10$ used to be a steal for a quality app. Is Fantasical 10$-quality? I don't know, but devs deserve to be paid.

10$ used to be a steal for a quality app when there was no App Store or when the App Store just started and the download number was small. Now there is volume, and competitors, which drove the prices down.

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel
Wow, I didn't know split view was back until I read this. Thanks! Now I guess I don't need Fantastical like I used to. :p Although the color-coded dots and being able to keep scrolling though the events over several days is still a nice feature the default calendar doesn't offer.

The bars after the time are the color coding in the split view, however the scrolling is still not there. The color coding also shows in the notification center.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
The bars after the time are the color coding in the split view, however the scrolling is still not there. The color coding also shows in the notification center.

Yeah, I understood the colored bars in iCal but the Fantastical colored dots that are actually in the calendar are quicker to identify vs the single grey dot that shows one or more unclassified events are happening. A grey dot could be a birthday, a job, a drs appointment or all three, I don't know for sure. In Fantastical, I can just know blue dots are work commitments and instantly see whether I'm already booked those requested days or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.