Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
looking to see what most wedding photographers suggest as a primary lens for a wedding. obviously it depends on the wedding but i'm just looking for a general review

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
You'll probably get some replies with 2 or 3 lens setups; a 28-70 and 70-200, with maybe something on the wider side to complement those.

I'm interested to see what real wedding photogs have to say…

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
i have a 70-200 and i'm looking to add a 17-85 possibly depending on the reviews. just getting started w/ a couple of weddings.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
A wide for large parties, 85mm and I would say a 70-200 2.8 wouldn't hurt. You can have all the lenses you want though, if you lack skill/knowledge then you are toast. Not the good toast you have with eggs either. :D

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
skill and knowledge will come with experience though.....for some

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
skill and knowledge will come with experience though.....for some

And for all budding wedding photogs I highly recommend an apprenticeship. You are the photographer at a wedding, one that hopefully the woman or man will never have to repeat. You are there to document their every move. Do you really want to go in that with little to no skill? Sure, the first few weddings you do alone may suck and you may not care as you are gaining experience, but at whose expense?

I've never seen your work so you may have a natural eye. I won't get into that right now...or even tomorrow. I was just commenting.

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
And for all budding wedding photogs I highly recommend an apprenticeship. You are the photographer at a wedding, one that hopefully the woman or man will never have to repeat. You are there to document their every move. Do you really want to go in that with little to no skill? Sure, the first few weddings you do alone may suck and you may not care as you are gaining experience, but at whose expense?

I've never seen your work so you may have a natural eye. I won't get into that right now...or even tomorrow. I was just commenting.

haha sounds like someone doesn't like new competition;)

pinktank

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
17-55 usually does plenty in a wedding, with a 18-200 or 80-200 if you are daring/experienced

NeXTCube

macrumors member
May 14, 2002
Upstate NY
FWIW, I use the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 in Canon mount on my crop body. The mighty Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM didn't exist three years ago when I bought it! :) Of course, I carry other lenses, including a 50mm f/1.8 prime; the 50 makes a good portrait lens on the crop bodies (it crops out to look like 80mm) and the wide-open aperture gives you lots of DOF control. I also have a 28mm f/1.8 prime that crops out to 45mm and makes a great lens for available-light candids.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007

for me it's been friends of mine and they know that i'm just getting started so it's a risk they know they are taking but at the same time they have seen my other photography and like it enough to take a chance and help provide me with the experience.

The 17-85 has really small apertures across its range. What sort of lighting setup are you planning on using?

well i'm not looking to buy a lens just for ONE wedding but a versatile one that will handle multiple lighting situations with relative ease

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW

That may be - or it may also be someone who's seen how much hiring "a friend with a dslr" can screw up your wedding photos. And it's not like you can go back and redo the shots. I'd never shoot a wedding for a friend unless I was darn sure they knew what they were getting (and not getting).

One of two things is going to happen over the next five years or so. Either the idea of wedding photos is going to change so people basically just expect snapshots; or enough mediocre results end up out there, and word of mouth will kill the idea of using "a friend with a dslr". You really need to compare the photos that come from a pro wedding photographer with the photos taken by a friend at a wedding to see just how different they are.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
That may be - or it may also be someone who's seen how much hiring "a friend with a dslr" can screw up your wedding photos. And it's not like you can go back and redo the shots. I'd never shoot a wedding for a friend unless I was darn sure they knew what they were getting (and not getting).

One of two things is going to happen over the next five years or so. Either the idea of wedding photos is going to change so people basically just expect snapshots; or enough mediocre results end up out there, and word of mouth will kill the idea of using "a friend with a dslr". You really need to compare the photos that come from a pro wedding photographer with the photos taken by a friend at a wedding to see just how different they are.

at the same time i'm sure some of the best photogs got their start from being "the friend with the dslr".

ghostguts

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
I use an 85mm f/1.2 IIL lens as my primary lens, complemented by a 70-200mm f/2.8 -- both telephoto, of course.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Nope, shoot away. I do not do weddings unless both arms are twisted. I am ill-equipted and ill-experienced in my opinion. When you are the one documenting one of the most important days of someone's life you need to get your head out of the clouds and come back down to reality land because your stunning landscape photos in no way qualify you to do a wedding.

When I say you I mean anyone who really takes on this task. It's such a huge event in my eyes.

This is just it. I worked under a professional photographer and while we were processing the film the jobo slipped and all of the shots were ruined. He carried insurance and was able to recreate the wedding but you can tell that since it was staged the facial expressions were off, the excitement wasn't there, etc.

I have shot weddings after having said arms twisted that went badly. I tell people what a real wedding photographer should have equipment wise and then disclose what I have. I tell them that a real wedding photographer will know x,y,z, about where to be, when, etc. and I'll run around like a fool trying to keep up. I also tell them many smart wedding photographers will have a second shooter and extra bodies. I have a big body and extra cameras, but no second shooter. I try to prepare them and in the end things wind up as the wind up. One instance I was asked to just take shots, more like a photo journalistic style wedding. I did just that. 800 pictures later and about 450 of them being "proof worthy" the girl was in tears. She didn't want any of her getting dressed the day before and of the wedding, then cried when i "missed" the shot of her looking in a full length mirror and I shoot her face in the mirror. You know the classic shot. There was a nice list of "missed" shots e-mailed to me. One of those shots that was "missed" was impossible because I was released at 10 pm and apparently she wanted one of her husband carrying her out of the reception hall. /shrug

So no, I do not fear competition. I am in extraordinary company when it comes to many picture takers. I take pictures for fun, earn a small chunk of change taking shots of what I am better equipped to shoot and I leave the weddings to people who stress less than I do. :)

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
at the same time i'm sure some of the best photogs got their start from being "the friend with the dslr".

Sure. But most did some schooling and apprenticeship.

It makes me sick to see amateurs or semi-pros take work from full-time pros. Being one of the former, I'm always careful not to intrude on a pro's "territory." I'm just adding that impersonally, I don't mean to imply you're stealing someone's job.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Sure. But most did some schooling and apprenticeship.

It makes me sick to see amateurs or semi-pros take work from full-time pros. Being one of the former, I'm always careful not to intrude on a pro's "territory." I'm just adding that impersonally, I don't mean to imply you're stealing someone's job.

an amateur or semi-pro doesn't have to steal the job. the bride and groom make the ultimate decision on their photographer. if they choose against the professional that doesn't mean the amateur "stole" the job. they were chosen. there is a reason the professional is a professional so if the bride and groom choose the amateur it's an obvious risk they are taking

Nope, shoot away. I do not do weddings unless both arms are twisted. I am ill-equipted and ill-experienced in my opinion. When you are the one documenting one of the most important days of someone's life you need to get your head out of the clouds and come back down to reality land because your stunning landscape photos in no way qualify you to do a wedding.

When I say you I mean anyone who really takes on this task. It's such a huge event in my eyes.

This is just it. I worked under a professional photographer and while we were processing the film the jobo slipped and all of the shots were ruined. He carried insurance and was able to recreate the wedding but you can tell that since it was staged the facial expressions were off, the excitement wasn't there, etc.

I have shot weddings after having said arms twisted that went badly. I tell people what a real wedding photographer should have equipment wise and then disclose what I have. I tell them that a real wedding photographer will know x,y,z, about where to be, when, etc. and I'll run around like a fool trying to keep up. I also tell them many smart wedding photographers will have a second shooter and extra bodies. I have a big body and extra cameras, but no second shooter. I try to prepare them and in the end things wind up as the wind up. One instance I was asked to just take shots, more like a photo journalistic style wedding. I did just that. 800 pictures later and about 450 of them being "proof worthy" the girl was in tears. She didn't want any of her getting dressed the day before and of the wedding, then cried when i "missed" the shot of her looking in a full length mirror and I shoot her face in the mirror. You know the classic shot. There was a nice list of "missed" shots e-mailed to me. One of those shots that was "missed" was impossible because I was released at 10 pm and apparently she wanted one of her husband carrying her out of the reception hall. /shrug

So no, I do not fear competition. I am in extraordinary company when it comes to many picture takers. I take pictures for fun, earn a small chunk of change taking shots of what I am better equipped to shoot and I leave the weddings to people who stress less than I do. :)

as fas as "missing" the shot. i'm just getting started and the first thing i did was get together a contract that protects you against things of that nature. i'll even send it to you if you want it.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

Not really- the best wedding photographers have been at it longer than the "friend with the dslr" has existed. One wedding photographer I know just got flown to Scotland to shoot a wedding- he's been doing weddings for more than 20 years. If I were to go into wedding photography, I'd want to shoot with him for a season or two- he's encountered pretty-much every situation "friend with a dslr" will ever run into and have to try to figure out for the first time in real time while trying not to screw up the wedding photos.

Just like most professional photography, it's more about dealing with the client and the corner cases than it is the camera. Spend some time reading the threads by the wedding pros on dpr, and you'll start to see what sort of skills and business acumen it takes- especially some of the bridezilla stories. Add in the stories about the random GWC "wedding photographers" and see how bad it can go. Most of the skills that make a great wedding photographer have absolutely nothing to do with owning a dSLR or taking snapshots at friend's weddings.

as fas as "missing" the shot. i'm just getting started and the first thing i did was get together a contract that protects you against things of that nature. i'll even send it to you if you want it.

Wedding photography can still fly or die on word-of-mouth. Think any of the bridesmaids will want to hire the photographer who "missed the shot, but that's ok, the contract said he could!?"

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"

I'm confused... did you just say that the first thing you did was get together a contract that protects you from your client if you screw up their once in a lifetime wedding?

Tell me that isn't what you just said and I misunderstood

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
I'm confused... did you just say that the first thing you did was get together a contract that protects you from your client if you screw up their once in a lifetime wedding?

Tell me that isn't what you just said and I misunderstood

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

the sole purpose of the contract is not to warn people that you will miss shots. the purpose is to protect yourself, although you might miss a shot because of some silly quark or malfunction. no photographer can guarantee that every shot will be captured so parts of the contract cover that as well as just legal mojo crap as far as indemnification etc... but no the contract in no way has the sole purpose of inferring i won't "capture the moment".

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

When I used the word "missed" shots I was being semi sarcastic. The pre-wedding discussions (numerous discussions) all included a shot list. On said shot list there was a nice note of shots that were absolutely not necessary or desired by the groom, bride, and whoever wrote the check out to me. I didn't miss a thing. They missed the shots after they decided it would have been nice to have them.

As for the contract. In all my years and all my dealings with carrying a pro's bag around at weddings, I've never stumbled upon such a contract that basically gives you expressed leniency to miss anything. I do not want your contract but I would love to see how that line reads. Is it, "if photographer misses a shot it is ok" or it is possibly more complex than that?

Loc

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2007
Southern California
When I cover weddings I always have 3 lenses with me:

17-35mm f/2.8-4
28-75mm f/2.8
70-200mm f/2.8

This combination has never failed me but ymmv

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
When I used the word "missed" shots I was being semi sarcastic. The pre-wedding discussions (numerous discussions) all included a shot list. On said shot list there was a nice note of shots that were absolutely not necessary or desired by the groom, bride, and whoever wrote the check out to me. I didn't miss a thing. They missed the shots after they decided it would have been nice to have them.

As for the contract. In all my years and all my dealings with carrying a pro's bag around at weddings, I've never stumbled upon such a contract that basically gives you expressed leniency to miss anything. I do not want your contract but I would love to see how that line reads. Is it, "if photographer misses a shot it is ok" or it is possibly more complex than that?

not exactly but it does cover myself like a said just incase of some random quark or malfunction at an untimely moment.

contract reads
... does not guarantee photographing any specific moment and will not be responsible for any missed moments. The client may present a list of suggested photos, but the photographer is unable to absolutely guarantee that those suggested photos, or any image will be captured.

and i have found a few contracts online just browsing in the past from other photogs that also include something similar to this.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
not exactly but it does cover myself like a said just incase of some random quark or malfunction at an untimely moment.

contract reads
... does not guarantee photographing any specific moment and will not be responsible for any missed moments. The client may present a list of suggested photos, but the photographer is unable to absolutely guarantee that those suggested photos, or any image will be captured.

and i have found a few contracts online just browsing in the past from other photogs that also include something similar to this.

Wow what a great contract! I mean you miss half the wedding and by gosh it's not your problem! No fault photography. :)

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Wow what a great contract! I mean you miss half the wedding and by gosh it's not your problem! No fault photography. :)

obviously you've never worked with people. people in general. today's population that will bring a law suit on you for anything they possibly can. the contract doesn't read:

i am not going to pay attention so if i'm napping when the officiate gets to the first kiss i can't be held accountable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.