Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
obviously you've never worked with people. people in general. today's population that will bring a law suit on you for anything they possibly can. the contract doesn't read:

i am not going to pay attention so if i'm napping when the officiate gets to the first kiss i can't be held accountable.

Actually, it sort of does- however you've obviously not worked with litigious people. A contract doesn't stop a lawsuit, it may help you win one, but that depends a lot on the overall wording of the contract, how it's presented to the signatory, what discussion ensues and what actually happens at the shoot.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Actually, it sort of does- however you've obviously not worked with litigious people. A contract doesn't stop a lawsuit, it may help you win one, but that depends a lot on the overall wording of the contract, how it's presented to the signatory, what discussion ensues and what actually happens at the shoot.

the contract is used as a protection. it might not completely stop people from bringing a lawsuit but the fact that it's been signed most certainly deters people from it. obviously i'm not going to the wedding and just sitting there not taking pictures. the contract basically covers mishaps and expenses. if i had done terrible in my first wedding i probably wouldn't have a second.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
the contract is used as a protection. it might not completely stop people from bringing a lawsuit but the fact that it's been signed most certainly deters people from it. obviously i'm not going to the wedding and just sitting there not taking pictures. the contract basically covers mishaps and expenses. if i had done terrible in my first wedding i probably wouldn't have a second.

My point is that E&O insurance is way more important than a contract for E&O- though you'll want a low deductible, as lots of carriers will "settle" for the deductible price every single time.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
OK. Guys. There's a lot of flaming going on here and the poor OP is digging a big hole for himself, which I'm sure he regrets...

I suggest two things:

1. People answer him on the simple question "which lenses do YOU personally use at weddings".

2. To the OP: Don't be the sole photographer. It is a big mistake, honestly. The best thing you could do is recommend they have a professional and for FREE, for your own development, also take pictures on that day. Throw money on any lense you want (although I wouldn't, lense buys come as a requirement not as a whim - you may not like wedding photography in the end), and just follow around the pro photographer taking your own shots. Put them on a CD at the end and give them to your Friends as your gift to them.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
i dont regret it at all. i basically don't mind the criticism. it's not like i have to listen to it or agree with it. doesn't bother me at all. and if any of the professionals in my area hadn't already had interns/apprentices this summer i would have been working with one but i like working through the stuff myself. i do have someone who helps me and back up bodies and what not just in case. like you said all i asked was for some lens suggestions. no big though.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
at the same time i'm sure some of the best photogs got their start from being "the friend with the dslr".

That's exactly how I got started.:p

Nope, shoot away. I do not do weddings unless both arms are twisted.

Wow. Again, exactly how I got started.:p My best friend wanted me to shoot his wedding. I declined. He kept the applying pressure each time we met. After weeks of pleading, he finally got tired of asking and placed me in a hammerlock. He said the only way out is by shooting his wedding.

The second time I was asked to shoot a wedding, I refused. No surprise there.:rolleyes: This time, the bride, also a good friend and a backyard wrestling enthusiast, locked me in a "Sharpshooter."

After that rumors started. About a month later, a 30-something lady grabbed me in a headlock for no apparent reason. I broke free and demanded to know what her problem was. She apologized and said that word around the campfire that I was an adequate photographer who would only work under threat of physical pain. She wanted me to shoot her son's birthday party.:eek:

Anyhow, my recommendation is to have two camera at the ceremony: 1 with a 70-200 2.8 and 1 with the fastest wide angle you've got. Oh, and you'll also want a back up for each. For the formal take your time and use what ever lense you're most comfortable with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.