Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Wicked shot beavo. The really strong z-shape formed by the hat and her arms makes it stand out. I'm not too sure about the headphones though, but that is your call.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
cookie1105 said:
Wicked shot beavo. The really strong z-shape formed by the hat and her arms makes it stand out. I'm not too sure about the headphones though, but that is your call.

Thanks! They aren't headphones though. It is part of the chin strap of the hat.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
apple

Bocheememon said:

snap58:
Wow, how old is that image? The interaction of the girls head and how the teddy bear follows her gaze creates a mischievous quality to the girl. The black background adds a lot to the photo that a background might take away from it. Is the girl related to you?

Not related to me, a friend of mines girl. It was from 1994, did a lot of friends kids in the mid 90's, this is another I liked from 1997...

Attachments

• 69dyln005.jpg
    69dyln005.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 87

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
Shot with a digital SLR-style camera (Casio Exilim P505). Don't remember the settings. Comments are welcome!
CIMG1729.jpg

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Mike Teezie said:
Alright, a portrait thread!

Here's one from a recent senior session. The client wanted a shot with her letterman jacket - something that's not really my "style" or whatever you want to call it. I'm always afraid of shooting cheesy portraits, and letterman jackets can easily, easily equal cheese.

From my blog, hence the logo at the bottom:

argo19.jpg

You can see more from this series at my blog if there's interest.

Dude, I love your blog! Great shots and color work. I recognized some of it as downtown Monroe but you really utilized the area very well!

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
x86isslow said:
Shot with a digital SLR-style camera (Casio Exilim P505). Don't remember the settings. Comments are welcome!

interesting shot. maybe a pol filter would have reduced the glare from the background. but then with the background as it is it's easier to focus on the person in the front.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Mike Teezie said:
Here's one from a recent senior session.
From my blog, hence the logo at the bottom:

blog if there's interest.

I like the sessions on your blog... but senior session portraits? :confused: Is this something new? Do most seniors hire a photographer for a photo session?

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Mike, some of those portraits on your blog are stunning.:eek:

I would really like to know what kind of lighting you are using. Are you using flash at all?

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
FrankieTDouglas said:
Dude, I love your blog! Great shots and color work. I recognized some of it as downtown Monroe but you really utilized the area very well!

Thanks Andy - we really need to go location hunting.

njmac said:
I like the sessions on your blog... but senior session portraits? Is this something new? Do most seniors hire a photographer for a photo session?

Nah, the senior market is a big one for people photogs. I used to hate it, now I really like shooting seniors.

cookie1105 said:
Mike, some of those portraits on your blog are stunning.

I would really like to know what kind of lighting you are using. Are you using flash at all?

Hey, thanks for the kind words. If you tell me which shot(s) you are interested in, I'll do my best to recall the lighting setup for you.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Mike Teezie said:
Thanks Andy - we really need to go location hunting.

Totally. Let's actually pick a day and stick to it. Maybe find someone who'd want to be a model for us at various spots so we can refer back to the photos for future references.

Oh, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic, but did you make it to Snakes on the Plane in Ruston?

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
The first one of Angela and all of the Sarah portraits. The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking about getting the 430ex as a fill flash for outdoor portraits. Ambient light is fun, but I have a hunch that you get a completely different effect from fill flash outdoors.

Cheers

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Bocheememon said:
Goodness! Children are just learning to use computers at such a young age. :eek:
My friend's wife was telling me the other day that her six-year old daughter had just returned from school after learning to perform data backups. This particular habit really has to be taught early... Let's see now, when was my last backup? :eek:
What a beautiful nephew! Oh...the baby fever! The bank robbing shot is charming and adorable!
He's a real charmer, especially when you feed him. Babies are wonderful when they're someone else's!! ;)

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
cookie1105 said:
The first one of Angela and all of the Sarah portraits. The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking about getting the 430ex as a fill flash for outdoor portraits. Ambient light is fun, but I have a hunch that you get a completely different effect from fill flash outdoors.

Cheers

argo02.jpg

For this one, I used my Bogen backdrop setup with a huge piece of dark brown fabric as a backdrop. I did use my 580EX flash here, bounced off the ceiling. This was an indoor shoot with terrible light, so I just let the flash and camera so its thing. A few actions, coupled with some dodging and burning gave me the final effect here. Here's the EXIF data:

EXIF:
ISO Speed Rating: 400
Lens Aperture: f/4.0
Exposure Time: 1/60 sec
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length: 62.00 mm
Metering Mode: Evaluative
Shooting Mode: Manual

As for the shots of Sarah, they are all shot with 100% natural light, no flash. The only thing I had to do to the images was run my own action that I created for natural light shots - Mike's Magic Light. Here's an example of what my action does to natural light shots:

mml_example.jpg

I may have overdone the yellow in this one a little because I only had the image open for 90 seconds. Normally, I would take a little more time with the color correction, and remove the blemishes. But you can see the punch and clairty it adds.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
mmmmhhhhh, Mike's magic light.:)

Thank you for answering my question and sharing that with us. It's a really nice effect, I will have to see if I can replicate it in PS. After all, they do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

As for the flash, I really think it could be an addition to my "arsenal". My local B&M are all out, but they are getting a new shipment in tomorrow. ;)

HckySo

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
turn around
My friend got a D50 and came over yesterday so I could show him around the RAW workflow. I think I over did it in photoshop though.

231372800ae16209e3flc4.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.