Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I thought it'd be a sweet idea to make a thread for people who use this subforum to post their setups as there isn't one as of now. Happy posting!

----------

WOW nice setup!! I see you finally got a PowerBook G4….I wish I could keep my PB G4 1.5 but iSight webcam does not work on some apps that I need. :(

----------

I wish PowerPC could work with FaceTime cuz I love it.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Zen.State's...

Stormtrooper G4 is giving me major Powermac envy....if there is a better case mod out there I haven't seen it yet.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Stormtrooper G4 is giving me major Powermac envy....if there is a better case mod out there I haven't seen it yet.

That one is actually a B&W G3 but it was upgraded to a G4 500MHz in 2003. I gave it to my aunt in 2005 and she got great use out of it for photography/web/email/word since then.

Recently she got a new Mac and is shipping it back to me since she has no use for it now. It's on route as we speak. It was bought new in Aug 1999 and used by me till 2005 then 2005 to 1 month ago by her. I guess you could call it a family Mac.

So I will now retain both my painted Macs again. For the record... it was Krylon semi-flat black and gloss white. Did it in 2004 and my car painted one in 2008. Thanks for the compliment

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
photo.JPG
Kids/Guest/DVD Player

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Sorry for being off topic but did you change your username?

I think so

Yep, Cassie changed her name. However, she'll always be Cassie to me.

On that note, Cassie have you ever tried one of those eMac swivel stands for your beloved eMac?

I certainly did. And I don't mind being referred to by my previous username by you more senior members (it is my actual name, after all. :p). Just decided I wasn't entirely comfortable having it out there for all the newer members to see (I've been getting some creepy PM's lately. Being referred to by my first name in such PM's doesn't help.)

I have actually never heard of such a thing, I may have to do some research on those. :)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I have actually never heard of such a thing, I may have to do some research on those. :)

The eMac tilt and swivel base was a $125 optional accessory for the eMacs. The allowed it to spin all the way around and tilt do the the screen could be vertical to a 45 degree angle. They currently sell for $25 on eBay. I have one with my eMac and think it's awesome.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I certainly did. And I don't mind being referred to by my previous username by you more senior members (it is my actual name, after all. :p). Just decided I wasn't entirely comfortable having it out there for all the newer members to see (I've been getting some creepy PM's lately. Being referred to by my first name in such PM's doesn't help.)

Yea that's a bit lame and unnerving..

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
I've been getting some creepy PM's lately.

Well excuse me for trying to connect! :(

----------

So I will now retain both my painted Macs again. For the record... it was Krylon semi-flat black and gloss white. Did it in 2004 and my car painted one in 2008. Thanks for the compliment

Zen: I never really understood if you painted them yourself or got them painted by someone?

Last edited:

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
SkyBell:

This is why people should just disable the PM system here. I did and my MR experience is 100% better. I exchanged emails with the 2-3 I actually did want to converse with directly about Mac related stuff.

Sorry to hear that some creep concerned you enough to change your handle. It's sad that people can't just let you come here and post in peace.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I currently have a 2005 G5 PowerMac and 21.5" LCD, I'll tidy things up and take some photos tomorrow. I'm looking at getting an iMac when Apple updates them. I've already built a new desk for it but back use it, I'm post some pics of that tomorrow as well.

I'm amazed at how long some people hang onto their PPC even back to G3 or older. Although wasn't the G3 the first PPC?

Bloodstar

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
Philadelphia, PA, USA
I currently have a 2005 G5 PowerMac and 21.5" LCD, I'll tidy things up and take some photos tomorrow. I'm looking at getting an iMac when Apple updates them. I've already built a new desk for it but back use it, I'm post some pics of that tomorrow as well.

I'm amazed at how long some people hang onto their PPC even back to G3 or older. Although wasn't the G3 the first PPC?

Nope, PowerPC goes way back to 1994... though the models are a bit of a mess before you get to the G3 era.

I actually think some of the earlier PPC machines featured x86 processors for running DOS/Windows applications as well, at the time, though I don't necessarily know much beyond the fact that those exist or even how well it worked, having been barely old enough to even remember some of these machines...

I'll have to find some shots of my MDD setup, soon. I know I've taken some, but I can't remember at all where I have them.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
The first Mac (and my first computer) was a 68k the LC630 back in the mid 90's, I hate to think how much that cost. I do remember the Apple printer cost about $900, color inkjet. Now you can get a color laser printer for 1/3 that or less! The LC 630 probably cost more than the base iMac does today.

ETA - no pics yet, been spending the morning building a platform for my G5, I've all but decided to place it under my my desk after I do the rebuild for my iMac.

How often to those with then under the desk give them a clean out, weekly/monthly?

Last edited:

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
That looks awesome! And just the specs I want for my future iMac G4. Very jealous indeed!

Thanks :) ! They're great machines and fast too(I probably sound like a broken record now lol). The way I have it set up now isn't permanent, I'll be moving it somewhere else soon.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
The way I have it set up now isn't permanent, I'll be moving it somewhere else soon.

Probably a good decision, it looks kind of crowded. (That might sound like a contradiction to my first reaction "that looks awesome" but I was referring to the general condition and choise of hardware. :))

KingKen1986

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Heres my newest to my collection. My lovely eMac. I love this thing to death and have been using it for most my normal day to day computings. I have been using my PowerMac G5 mainly as my workstation. (Sorry bout the ugliness behind my eMac, just had to have all my plumbing redone and havent had a chance to plaster and paint yet).

Specs:
1.25 GHz
512 MB Ram (ordered another 512 stick, just waiting on it)
radeon 9200 32MB
40GB HDD

82c63227.jpg

P.S. This is not the final resting place, I havent moved my desk in yet because of the not finished wall behind it...haha Long Live PPC

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtuallyInsane

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Heres my newest to my collection. My lovely eMac. I love this thing to death and have been using it for most my normal day to day computings. I have been using my PowerMac G5 mainly as my workstation. (Sorry bout the ugliness behind my eMac, just had to have all my plumbing redone and havent had a chance to plaster and paint yet).

Specs:
1.25 GHz
512 MB Ram (ordered another 512 stick, just waiting on it)
radeon 9200 32MB
40GB HDD

View attachment 356338

P.S. This is not the final resting place, I havent moved my desk in yet because of the not finished wall behind it...haha Long Live PPC
And to think that eMac was once the newest thing out. Very nice though. :) I guess Apple's moved on. :p

KingKen1986

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
And to think that eMac was once the newest thing out. Very nice though. :) I guess Apple's moved on. :p

HaHa, yeah I still remember my friend got one when they first came out, I've wanted one ever since and finally got one hahaha. It is still a lovely machine. :D:apple::D

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
My iMac G4 1GHz, 768MB RAM and a 150GB Velociraptor drive.

It is getting a tad old, just because it's a slide show on many websites.

I'm thinking of preserving the case and swapping the internals for a C2D Mac Mini to keep everything Mac.

Keep it in one of the guest bedrooms for friends/family to use if they don't bring laptops.

LoL it needs a new keyboard since the current one has "yellowed" quite a bit and the 1 button mouse needs to be at least a Mighty Mouse (You won't believe how many people complain about having to hold CNTRL down to right click :D )

Attachments

• IMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 401

ppcg4mac

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Northwest Kansas
im currently using an eMac (ati) 800MHZ running OS9 (only 128MB of ram) i have Mouseware so i can right click and scroll with my rebranded logitech mouse (it says dell, yet has logitech internals). When i remember to bring the RAM to my vacation house it will have 256 MB and (hopefully) run tiger.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
My iMac G4 1GHz, 768MB RAM and a 150GB Velociraptor drive.

It is getting a tad old, just because it's a slide show on many websites.

Notice you are running Tiger and tenfourfox....many people report and its been my experience that tenfourfox has slowed noticeably after 8.0 on anything but dual processor G4's and G5's. Latest Camino is much, much faster, as is Omniweb, and now there is also tenfourkit, which basically updates safaris internals to be a titch more mo-dern.

Also, Leopard may run a bit slower, but you have a lot more software support. Put a little more RAM in that thing, update to Leopard and try a different browser.You may be surprised how useful it still can be.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Notice you are running Tiger and tenfourfox....many people report and its been my experience that tenfourfox has slowed noticeably after 8.0 on anything but dual processor G4's and G5's. Latest Camino is much, much faster, as is Omniweb, and now there is also tenfourkit, which basically updates safaris internals to be a titch more mo-dern.

Also, Leopard may run a bit slower, but you have a lot more software support. Put a little more RAM in that thing, update to Leopard and try a different browser.You may be surprised how useful it still can be.

I just re-installed Leopard yesterday, I haven't used it much since ( just bought a new house so in the process of packing ) but the machine seemed quicker with just 10.5. Once I updated to 10.5.8 and all updates things began to slow down a bit.
I went by Fry's to pickup a 2nd SSD to RAID0 my current iMac but they were sold out so I completely forgot about picking up another 1GB RAM stick for the G4.

Thanks for the tip I'll give Camino and Omniweb a shot as soon as I can.
I still love this little machine and non Mac people can't believe it's 10 yrs old, I ask where their computers from 2002 are and they just laugh at the thought.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I just re-installed Leopard yesterday, I haven't used it much since ( just bought a new house so in the process of packing ) but the machine seemed quicker with just 10.5. Once I updated to 10.5.8 and all updates things began to slow down a bit.
I went by Fry's to pickup a 2nd SSD to RAID0 my current iMac but they were sold out so I completely forgot about picking up another 1GB RAM stick for the G4.

Thanks for the tip I'll give Camino and Omniweb a shot as soon as I can.
I still love this little machine and non Mac people can't believe it's 10 yrs old, I ask where their computers from 2002 are and they just laugh at the thought.
Yeah I know what you mean there. The Powermac G5 will be 8 years old next year. And it still works fine for what I need it to do.

jsgoulding

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2012
UK
First Image:1.2GHz 12" iBook G4 that I recently got, with 1.25GB or RAM, 30GB HDD (too scared to change it). Running Leopard lovely, perfect for browsing and word processing.

Second Image: My poor unused iMac G3, first Mac I got 4 years ago...sprayed it black (don't ask), added an Airport Card, changed hard drive, updated to Tiger, upgraded RAM to 512mb. Alas, it slows my network down so much, the whole 802.11a stuff, it sits in my cupboard :(. (Spec in sig)

Not really a setup (iBook mobile and iMac in cupboard) but the main setup is intel...:eek: :p

Attachments

• 2012-09-09 22.38.18.jpg
    2012-09-09 22.38.18.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 362
  • 2012-08-30 17.54.39.jpg
    2012-08-30 17.54.39.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 315
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.